• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Called in my first coyotes this morning

Bradu

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
IL
I got set up on a hillside and started calling with the lightning jack call. Ran the call for a minute or two and shut it off. I heard something coming almost immediately and sure enough it was a coyote. It ran out on the ice in the creek and then I heard something else coming. It was two more coyotes headed my way. I had all three within 50 yards but where they were at I didn't have a very clear shot. I waited for the one on the ice to move out in the open but he started to go back the other way.

I tried to move just enough to get a shot but I spooked him and one of the other coyotes. THe only one left was about 50 yards out through the brush and even though I didn't have a good shot I tried anyways. I missed and they were all gone but that is one hell of an exciting morning having three coyotes come running in that quick and so close. I will be going back in a few weeks with a shotgun and some buck shot to see if I can have better luck.

Regardless of not getting a shot it was one of the coolest hunting experiences I have ever had. Now I just have to talk to some people and find more spots to hunt.

Re: Called in my first coyotes this morning

Another addict is born!

They were howling like hell last night up north of you too. Pray for some more cold and snow.

Congrats and welcome to your new addiction.

Congratulations...now you're hooked. I haven't had much luck calling coyotes recently, but I did call in a bobcat a couple weeks ago. She was in the open, and took a snow nap 10 yards from the caller.
grin.gif

Nice work! It will be just as exciting every time you call something in too. Calling in coyotes is one thing I will never get bored with. Keep at em.

Excited is an understatement, I never guess the first time I had success that I would have three run in on me. I am definitely addicted and already bought some #3 buck for when I hunt in the timber. Now I see why you guys go out in the sub 0 temps, I already got a friend that said his buddy won't have a problem hunting his farm since deer season is over.

I wanted to go to the brother in laws farm today but it was freezing rain when I woke up at 4.

good luck on the next hunt i take a shotgun and a rifle 90% of the time

How do you guys pack in a rifle and shotgun? I think it would be a giant pain in the ass carrying all that stuff in, granted it would have been worth it. I learned my lesson walking back about a mile with a 16 pound rifle, next time I will take something lighter. I'm also starting to exercise because I'm not in as good of shape as I thought lol

Way fun! I wish my trips out for coyotes produced more kills but it's fun regardless.

Congrats on your success, you did the hard part. pulling the trigger is easy.

just a tip. if spooked they will usually go back the same way they came in. sometimes that may offer a better shot.

And lip squeaking may pull one in if it's hold up but using a decoy will almost always convince them to commit.

Not being a know it all, just my experiences. Good luck and post pics when you connect

They did run back the way they came in but there wasn't a good shot in the ravine that the two were in. I am trying to buy a DTA so I'm holding off on the decoy but it's on my list of things to buy. I also had the caller next to me because I have had issues with my caller remote not working very far away so I want to get a better Foxpro. I figure if it was away from me a little ways that I could have played the call long enough to get the ones attention and get a shot.

I think they came in so quick because I was only 3-400 yards away from where there are cattle. I plan on going when they are calving, I figure they will be looking for a meal

i have a one of the turkey vest with the seat cliped on it. Put the foxpro in a bag with a long shoulder strap, rifle on a shoulder strap around my head so it stays put, shotgun in my hand, and i make clips for shooting sticks to clip onto my vest its trial and error finding the right length of straps for everything to be comfortable and it does limit movement. Good luck calling around cattle that are calving ive never had much luck doing that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bradu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you guys pack in a rifle and shotgun? I think it would be a giant pain in the ass carrying all that stuff in, granted it would have been worth it. I learned my lesson walking back about a mile with a 16 pound rifle, next time I will take something lighter. I'm also starting to exercise because I'm not in as good of shape as I thought lol</div></div>

get a G4 Operator pack.....your rifle/calls and whatever else you want to bring with you on the set will fit in the pack and carry the shotty in your hand.