• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Camelbak Packs: any experience?

Really depends on the purpose. Is this to be your day pack? If trying to add to another setup, there are better options.

Need to state what you intended use is.

This pack will be used to hold most of my rifle gear and ammo. I would like room/pouch for a hydration baldder. It will not be used for any critical sustainment but despite my efforts I'm still an over packer. I currently have a Ebrlestock Lo Drag but I have decided I don't really want/need to carry my rifle in the pack. I have also looked at stuff from Mystery Ranch, London Bridge Trading, and Kifaru. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Best I can tell you is from my experience and preferences.

I use the standard Camelbak that is a stand-alone item, then use a pack with that has a separate compartment for a Camelbak. Several companies make / sell packs set up in such a manner. This allows you to configure the size pack you want or need to the size bladder you need.

Just allows more flexibility IMHO.

Source Hydration makes the best bladders. If you combine their bladders with a Camelbak then you would have a great combo.

This is what I use for a day of training; spotter with tripod, source hydro, jacket, first aid, food, all kit I need for a day. Its half the cost and lighter than the Linchpin at about the same size of the main body. I added a pouch on the front and two side pockets for ammo and more kit. A plus is, with the attachment kit, it buckles to load bearing or another pack.

Removable Operator Pack

I have the motherlode and its been great pack but on the large size for a day outing.

Never used that model but have had a BFM for years and use it to fly and at matches and it's still going strong. Good pack.

I have been carrying Camelbaks for almost 20 yrs. (pretty much since they first came out in the cycling world). I really love the Maxgear HAWG/Linchpin size packs, and for a daypack you can't go wrong with either. The Source bladders are maybe a bit nicer, but IMO the camelbak has better tube/valve setup. You can't go wrong with either.
I have packs (like the TT) that have the ability to add a bladder, but were not specifically designed as a hydration pack. I really prefer the camelbak which has a separate padded zippered compartment for the bladder, accessible from the outside of the pack.

Here are some cheaper prices:
Amazon.com: CamelBak LinchPin 100oz Coyote: Sports & Outdoors

I have owned and used the Camelbak Tri Zip pack which was a direct copy of the Mystery Ranch 3 Zip assault pack, both using the Futura harness system which is awesome by the way. I then sold the Camelbak and bought the MR 3 Zip pack and compared the two, very interesting the see the subtle design differences and construction changes. I also have had an Eberlestock GSII and Jackhammer pack and decided weapon carry to be last on the requirement list.

In the end I miss the MR 3 zip pack and have landed on the NICE Crew Cab which holds about what the 3 zip did but also was built for hydration and in a pinch a rifle can be loaded into the pack against the frame and secured.

Never used that model but have had a BFM for years and use it to fly and at matches and it's still going strong. Good pack.
Have had this one for about 8 years or so and it's been great. Used it in the field in korea for two years, then it went back to a work and flying bag and then a range bag.
Edit: Actually I have the Motherload. I see these bags are way more expensive than when I bought mine, I think I paid around $100 about 8 years ago.

Check out the camelbak HAWG. Best pack I've ever had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

+ 1 on the HAWG. I've been using one for about 3 years now. Makes a great range and/or day pack; just the right amount of room for the stuff I want/need to have with me without encouraging me to over-pack (which I am way to easily tempted to do :eek:).

I have had the bfm for years. It has held up extremely well. The pack you showed said the harness was designed by mystery ranch. I love anything from mystery ranch. Give it a go you can never have to many different packs.

Thank you all for your input and I ended up finding an Amazon gift card and picked up the Linchpin.

Now I think I want another pack with a bit more capacity. The two main packs I'm looking at now are the Mystery Ranch Dragon Slayer and the Kifaru Molle Express. The Dragon Slayer is the "less expensive" option at 299 but I'm very intrigued with the modularity of the Molle Express. The Kifaru is about $100 or so more depending on how you option it.

So, as usual, any experience or advice?

Clay

IMHO: Kifaru (very nice kit) < Mystery Ranch (best you can get!)

With price as a consideration, I'd second the TT operator pack. I don't have that specific pack but when I go out to shoot on open land and take along all of the items you mentioned you were wanting to fit, I have a ruck that is the exact same CU size as the TT. I sling my bolt gun, have my tripod on one side (if I think Ill need it), spotter on the other and then my LRF, ammo, reference materials, 3L bladder, basic snivel gear (jacket, gloves, neck gaither, watch cap) and my misc shooting equipment. It all fits and theres a little room to cram in more, or use the molle for additional pouches like I do with my Kestrell and additional water bladder.