• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Camo on A-4 Rifle

dar1246

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2008
Nebraska
www.youtube.com
This something new I did for the last couple of days. I got the idea from He_Shoot_Me hide member. Check it out.

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

Re: Camo on A-4 Rifle

I like this style a lot. I have a rifle that I will be doing in the next couple days for a member here that will end up similar to this.

I seen it the other day on a hide members rifle. Kinda of like it. So I painted one of my rifles like it. It breaks up the color good. I put a protective coating on it. I will take out the shine and dull it a little. Then I will be done.

I'm really liking these sponge camo'd rifles. That thing looks sweet. How do you like the DBM compared to a factory BDL? I know the extra capacity is a plus but is there a downside to the mag?

I like it. I have on 8 of the 9 rifles. I have 5 rd mags also. Never have enough ammo on you. This just gives you the ability to have the in the gun VS in your pack.

I have a 4x16 S&B coming to replace the 5.5x25 scope. I will that scope. It should be he by Tues. I do think the scope would finish the gun off.

I saw the rifle the other day from HSM. He and I chatted about it in the shout box before he done his and he did a fine job as have you. Re post when you get the scope done also.

I will do that. His looks more completed with the scope done. HSM turned out nice. I started to Digital camo the rifle but went this way. I will digital my AI next. This scope that is on it is going to a different rifle.

Get some outside the house pics also. Those will really show off the paint work.

Well not to much green grass up here. This is the outside pictures around trees, grass, gravel, and crushed asphalt.

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

Thanks
When I set it against the tree. Thought blended really good. The rest of the pictures it blended good with the ground.

Hell yeah now that is what I am talking about. I am fixing to go out and paint one up nearly just like this. I love it.

A person doesn't, but many do. A matter of personal choice. Same as any other piece of equipment. I surely don't need the handful of NightForces that I have. Coyotes don't care.

While not as visually appealing as some, I sure think it works well blending in. This is after all why we should cammo them.

I have been a fan of GAP camo for "pretty rifles", but this is my favorite for field rifles.

Would live to hear how you did it.

This is an AI skins I did. I took out the brown and put a little more green in the coloring. See if you like this. Later today I will try to get the paints and stuff to do this and post.

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0347-1.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

Here a picture of the supplies you need. The clear coat will protect you finish. he sponge you can get in Wal-mart.

IMG_0366.jpg

Always spray paint onto a cardboard and dip the sponge in the paint.
Step 1
start with the lightest color first. Coat the whole surface and wait for it to dry.

Step 2
Now it is time to use the sponge. Apply the layers as need. Use black on the next coat and apply so that you get the texture of the sponge onto the surface.

Step 3
Repeat step 2 using the darker brown, still using the sponge. Dont over apply. It will come together in the end.

Step 4
Repeat step 2 using Coyote Tan (which is a medium tan)and the sponge. I used up all mine. So I couldn't take a picture of this product. You can use another brand.

Step5
Clear coat to protect finish. Spray very lightly.

What color was your AI skins in, originally. I have FDE, and a few cans ready to go. One Tan/Khaki, Black, and OD. Which should I drop on first?

My skins was OD green but I started with tan first. This way the under layment color would be the lighest color. This gives you the marble effect.

On a scope painting is just as easy. Tape the areas you don't want the paint and cover the glass. Spray the colors onto a cardboard the sponge the color on.

Sponge camo is by far easiest way to get a good result

Thou i personally use the denser sea sponges as they seem to provide more of a pattern effect

nice design, blends into most environments, and where it sticks out more you can always add some ghillie strips to it.

for netranger6, although that finish would add some texture, it would be more "smooth" than rough, however you can add texture first, then go over it with the pattern. i always believed the base color to be the most matching to where your AO is (usually the tan / khaki earth color), and then add the breakup colors on top to mimic ground clutter, vegetation, moss, etc.
HPIM1071.jpg

HPIM1074.jpg

Using a furnace filter (preferably new),in addition to the sponge, adds a nice pattern. I was real happy with the look on mine.

Ok, I have Krylon in Tan, Green, and Black. With FDE skins, should I even put down a base, or just go with blotting on Tan...then Green....then Black, followed by clear?

btw, I really have limited skills in the creativity department. lol.

Okay guys, just finished my paint. Turned out rock on awesome. Used the FDE skins to my advantage...will post pics tomorrow, and once I have a look at it with sober eyes. Lol. Used a set of "sea" sponges from Hobby Lobby ($2.50), a minute amount of Krlyon Fusion Flat Tan/OD/Black, and just went with it. It looks killer. Almost Marine digital.

Here was my prep time:

Drink a beer: Lay out my skins..

Drink another beer: Put trash bag across beer cooer *wooden*

Drink another beer: "ask the wife, "Hey, you're better at this shit, so how goes it?". Her response,...."that's your gig, get on it"...

Same beer: I laid out first skin, in FDE, and ran to Hobby Lobby for some "real" sponges, and this really is key.

Another drink, as beer is gone (Red Wine): Cut a "real sponge", in half, to get a varied textur. On FDE skins, laid down a Krylon "Tan", with a varied "blotting" techneek. Sorry guys, a td bit drunk and reely don't feel liike back spacing to correct....anyway, I splotted.... on Tan....on FDE skins...

Then I splotted on OD green......then Black...

....and lastly, I clear coted in Flat Krylon...fuck, I'm prety wasted. Anyway, it turned out pretty dammn good, just wear a mask, or avoid the fumes on the clear coat,.... prettty nasty shit.

Will have pic's in tha A.M.....or P.M.

- Jeremy

Yep just spray sponge and if ya want dab on paper to ck effect or lighten amount of paint applied

Now you can get crazy with this and sponge thru netting etc to get a snake skin look

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cmnspwr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So do you just spray a thick coat on the sponge and then dab it on? </div></div>. Spray the paint on the sponge or on cardboard to dip the sponge in.

well.. turns out that my fuzzy eyes failed me. Put too much clear coat on, gonna take all off and start again.

Clear coat was fine, just I didn't wait for paint to drive, and the clear coat caused some paint to run...Which made me have to touch up an area, and now it looked gay. So, the stuff she got me sucks, didn't take the paint of one iota. What do I use to get the paint off without killing the plastic skins?

If it isn't to bad then just do a base coat again. If you want to speed up the drying process. Then run a small heater to push warmer air across the paint to help it dry.

Nice work DAR, that looks awesome. I'm going to have to drum up the time and try this on my Crusader. Thanks for all the technical input everyone - great post. If/when I do this, I'll post my FVCK UPS too!

SK
Roll Tide!! 13th Football National Championship