• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Camp LeJeune Water Contamination: My Dad Just Got a Determination From the VA

Veer_G

Beware of the Dildópony!
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2008
SEPA
90% disability. I'm supposed to contact them, too, and get a neuro workup. Oh joy, joy, joy ...

I was there then too and I have it marked as present, but I haven't gotten anything for it ?

He was on board there '58 to '64, less one cruise on the 6th fleet flagship. I was there on Tarawa Terrace early '61 to '64. He's been through a neuro exam and they determined severe issues in brain tissue from chemical contamination. They actually said that his films looked like those of a long-term meth head.

Dunno about your case, Frank, but I'd run the details down and see what's up.

There is NOTHING good going with this travesty other than it's being addressed? Best of luck to all affected.

[h=2]Causes of Camp Lejeune Water Contamination[/h]
Water from the Tarawa Terrace Treatment Plant and the Hadnot Point Treatment Plant were found to be contaminated primarily by two toxic chemicals.

The Tarawa Terrace Treatment Plant was contaminated by perchloroethylene (PCE), a colorless liquid most commonly used for dry cleaning. The source of this contamination was found to be the waste disposal practices of an off-base dry cleaning company. The PCE levels at the Tarawa Terrace Treatment Plant highly exceeded current standards between November 1957 and February 1987, according to the Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry.

At the Hadnot Point Treatment Plant, the water was contaminated by trichloroethylene (TCE), a volatile anesthetic. Underground storage tank leaks, industrial area spills and water disposal sites are believed to have been the sources of the TCE contamination. [h=2]Side Effects of Contaminated Water Exposure[/h]
There has been suggestive evidence of a link between extended exposure to PCE or TCE and serious and often fatal diseases, including:
  • Liver cancer
  • Kidney cancer
  • Breast cancer
  • Bladder cancer
  • Ovarian cancer
  • Prostate cancer
  • Cervical cancer
  • Lung cancer
  • Leukemia
  • Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
  • Liver disease
  • Miscarriages
  • Birth defects
In 2013, the Centers for Disease Control’s Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry released the findings of a study first started in 2003. The study concluded that children born to mothers who drank the contaminated water at Camp Lejeune were four times more likely to suffer birth defects, such as spina bifida. These babies also had a slightly elevated risk of childhood cancers, such as leukemia.

November 1957. Interesting.

It is now December 2017, and this is 'new' decision? They can track a "mad cow" to the specific ranch where it was pastured within days and condemn a whole industry.... but when they are involved themselves it takes decades to 'maybe' have a 'possible' indicator, but we'll have to form a 'committee' to investigate such matters?

This is not the first time this particular Camp Lejeune water topic has appeared on the 'Hide, or the Duty Roster in years past.... but the fact that it is still an 'ongoing investigation' is deplorable by governmental standards. The ones who're there to 'set the standards' aren't meeting their own standards.

I'm sorry for all involved, truly. At the same time, I'm NOT sorry for whatever happens to all the 'authorities' who're involved in making this take so much time to address. I'm not even going to comment on the actual human side of things.... because it's only their lives that we're disregarding. Arrgggg.

My Daughter had a birth defect, she needed open heart surgery as a baby to repair it ...

Guess I need to go through the process...

I am sure i am brain damaged too, but proving that will be harder

My Daughter had a birth defect, she needed open heart surgery as a baby to repair it ...

Guess I need to go through the process...

I am sure i am brain damaged too, but proving that will be harder

My first child was stillborn at full term, with a horrifically misshapen head. I wonder just how many of us there are.

veer, i think a lot, like a lot alot...
i was on base at that time but i didnt regularly drink any of that water, thankfully...
get your name in the system as soon as you can...
im sorry about your child,Veer

Frank I hope and pray a complete recovery for your daughter.

VeerG, I am sorry for your loss.

My first child was stillborn at full term, with a horrifically misshapen head. I wonder just how many of us there are.

Saddened to hear thet, Veer. Hope the young lady is well, Frank. Tell her to drop by the Hide again someday.

I wish the best for all of you with this, however, their track record is less than stellar.
Look how long they diddled around with Agent Orange and RVN Vets. FM

I wish the best for all of you with this, however, their track record is less than stellar.
Look how long they diddled around with Agent Orange and RVN Vets. FM

And still are.
Them worthless fucks play the long game. Stall, point fingers, deny, appoint committees,ponder findings, pass the buck. Meanwhile those that payed and are paying the price suffer, weaken, get more disgusted with the system, and some die. Less people to pay, and they still don't give a damn.
Best wishes Marines and families. Y'all are in our prayers.

A fucking shitload. Some of us also know we have SOMETHING wrong, but can't prove it and nobody has any idea.

There's a documentary I saw on this a while back, you guys affected should look it up. Bases, especially air force bases and surrounding areas, have the highest water pollution in the nation. If you really knew how bad the military industrial complex has been on the environment, you'd be shocked. There are many "known contaminated well sites" and Camp Lejune is one of the worst --or one of the worst so far known.

If you can get rated, get it. But don't expect the VA to help. As it is I have to instruct them on how to use the equipment in the office. Not kidding.

Before dealing with VA, make sure to go to American Legion (or another, I go to Legion and they've done me right). They'll make sure the paperwork goes through and do all the work for you, because it is a full time job.

100% rating or unemployability is $3k per month. Disability is only $1200 or so if you even qualify for it. I sacrificed the best part of me for my country and not myself; the least they can do is fill my goddamn safe for me on the back end. Getting this will be your new full time job though, and trust me, you have to be fucked up to get money. I know one guy from Vietnam who took 40 years to get his Agent Orange rating and another waited just as long who was documented as being part of fucking SHAD (to see how nasty shit spreads on Naval ships to determine their effectiveness in battle). A guy that was in the trench when the set off the A-bomb. You'd think they'd be cut and dried, but no.

I was stationed there in the early 80s out at Montford Point/Camp Johnson and mainside in 99-01. I've been getting their letters for some time but haven't paid much attention to them. Don't think I was affected but pray for the families that were.

A fucking shitload. Some of us also know we have SOMETHING wrong, but can't prove it and nobody has any idea.

There's a documentary I saw on this a while back, you guys affected should look it up. Bases, especially air force bases and surrounding areas, have the highest water pollution in the nation. If you really knew how bad the military industrial complex has been on the environment, you'd be shocked. There are many "known contaminated well sites" and Camp Lejune is one of the worst --or one of the worst so far known.

If you can get rated, get it. But don't expect the VA to help. As it is I have to instruct them on how to use the equipment in the office. Not kidding.

Before dealing with VA, make sure to go to American Legion (or another, I go to Legion and they've done me right). They'll make sure the paperwork goes through and do all the work for you, because it is a full time job.

100% rating or unemployability is $3k per month. Disability is only $1200 or so if you even qualify for it. I sacrificed the best part of me for my country and not myself; the least they can do is fill my goddamn safe for me on the back end. Getting this will be your new full time job though, and trust me, you have to be fucked up to get money. I know one guy from Vietnam who took 40 years to get his Agent Orange rating and another waited just as long who was documented as being part of fucking SHAD (to see how nasty shit spreads on Naval ships to determine their effectiveness in battle). A guy that was in the trench when the set off the A-bomb. You'd think they'd be cut and dried, but no.

I'll make the arrangements to get on the list, just in case, but I doubt very much that anything related to my exposure at Lejeune is going to take me before congestive heart failure does.

My real frustration is for my father. He's had inexplicable issues for the last decade that have worsened with time, and it wasn't until recently that there was a diagnosis and this determination from the VA. He got lucky and found functionaries that gave a damn and rammed it through for him. Were that there were something that could have been done for him sooner, the past few years would have been considerably easier for him.

As was said by others, the damnable thing is that it's taken so long for these issues to be addressed, as happened with Agent Orange, as if they were waiting for the injured parties to die out. Furthermore, the VA's response has been to accept responsibility and provide for care covering a list of ailments, but nothing yet has been said about birth issues other than miscarriage and female infertility. How do you compensate someone for birth defects or the loss of a child down the line, perhaps due to the toxic punch that you were once swilling?

It all boils down to respect and compassion for those who served and their dependents. From what I've seen, it's only happening because the issue has been forced.

Sad for your loss Veer , Frank I hope your daughter recovers . You and your families are in my prayers .

Im going to throw something out there that could be taken as insensitive and in no way do I want it to be construed as a lack of concern for any issues that have been brought up here which are heartbreaking.

Perhaps my mind is just too trained through recent events to consider a nefarious intent behind everything involving the government.

Anyway my point.

I see the attitudes of those that hate the military have changed.

In the 60s they were honest about their hate and spit on uniforms openly in public display of their venom.

That didn't play well and they paid for it.

They have changed tactics.

Now they still hate you but they are trying to kill you with compassion.

They view you as damaged, you are a victim, you have been in trauma and they embrace you with compassion.

Compassion that they hope will lead you to dependence and allow them to control you. They don't really care about you. They need to co-opt you so they can control you.

I work with a lot of active/previous mil and I note the topic of benefit percentages is common talk. PTSD, irritable bowel, unexplained disorders, name it it has a percentage.

Asbestos, Agent Orange, Lejeune water....I have no doubt these things are hazardous even if for the period of usage they were beneficial or the danger was not known.

To the people that hate our country there is further advantage - you can spend the country into oblivion. Keep in mind this money does not come from the government - it comes from us.

If there is a cost to be paid I would like to see the responsible individual pay with jail time not the tax payer.

Maybe Im off base but Im throwing it out there to think about.

I get the letters about the study and spent my time at Camp Geiger and I guess Im fortunate because most of what I drank came from small cinder block establishments on the other side of Rt 17. I did fire a Dragon without ear plugs - can you hear that - neither can I. I do have a daughter with a chronic condition as a Type I diabetic.

Any of this related to my time in service I don't know...

Compensable?

Probably if I pushed it.

I wonder how they came by the dates. I was there from early '89 - 94 (less two deployments). I have had no problems, but a lot of my buddies (like me) have had children with mild to severe issues. My daughter had some minor issues as an infant, one buddy had a child that has severe issues, another 3 or 4 have had one child or more that had minor issues (weird stuff like being born without the stomach muscles being fused together, growing extra teeth, nervous system issues, etc.), We always wondered if there was something related...

I just remember the water always being tinged brown, but we always thought it was just too much iodine or something (maybe rusted pipes?) from the treatment plant.

The end date is determined by a switch to a new water source when the contaminant was discovered.

These issues your friends have tragically gone through are not limited to mil families.

I know two families, never mil, that had sons born without anuses.

I think something is fucked up just look at all the kids with allergies, but I suspect our food chain as much at fault as weird environmentals.

We would probably all benefit from the use of less plastic.

I think these things and I see it as an EPA Fast and Furious - you don't have to be a rocket scientist to guess some of the shit we do will bring problems and when those problems manifest themselves Govt will use it to take some freedom and perhaps impose some new taxes.