• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can 100 yard accuracy predict 1000 yard accuracy?

Lucks

Team Roberts Precision
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2009
Central Texas
If I want to develop a load for my .308, can I test 100 yard groups to determine what load my rifle gins best with all the way out to 1000y? Assuming I am using a combination that will stay supersonic....Should a 1 MOA rifle shoot 1 MOA all the way out to it's maximum range? Thanks for helping out a newbie!

Re: Can 100 yard accuracy predict 1000 yard accuracy?

In a short simple answer- No. If your rifle shoots a load well at 100, then test it at say 300 or 400, and see how it does. Sometimes the best load at 100 is not the best load at longer range. If I am working up a load for long range shooting, testing will be done at 300 yards or further. Typically, the longer bullets for caliber take more distance to settle down and to know the true potential of the load.

What Chad said. I have had loads that shoot great at 100 but fall apart by 300 and loads that are shoot a 3/4" group at 100 but also shoot a 3/4" group at 300. For my long range loads I test them at 100 and 300 and have found if they do well at 300 then they will do well farther out.

I wondered about that. It seems to me that a lot of this custom reloading (load development) sounds like tuning broadheads in archery. If your bow and arrows aren't tuned you may stll be able to shoot a decent group at 20 yards, but at 40 yards those arrows are fishtailing so bad...who knows where they'll hit! Maybe bullets can behave similarly? At longer ranges do some bullets stabalize, while others become unstable?

Before I can say that a particular load is GTG for me, I must test it out to at least 400-500 yards. My order is 100, 300, 500 yards. If it stays sub MOA, then it's gtg. Remember, once you go beyond 600 yards, external factors and operator factor can be puzzling.

Depending on the twist and grains of the bullets, some heavier bullets don't stabilize well until it gets to about 300 yards or so. Another thing to keep in mind.

Thanks for the advice guys

I just recently acquired and began loading for a 338LM. I have always tested my loads (308) at 100 yards. Since the whole purpose of the 338LM is LR hunting, it seems silly to focus on what the load does at 100 yards. If I intend to be shooting 100 yards, the 308 barrel is going to be mounted.

Starting this weekend, all my 338LM testing will be done between 300 and 650 yards. For educational purposes, once I settle on a load for the 338, I am going to shoot groups with the various loads at 100 just to see how well they shoot.

I've seen loads that shot .5moa at 600 an were 4 moa at 1k 5 minutes later.
Seen .25 at 100 an never hit plate at 1K.
One load was 1.25 moa at 100 but past 600 was .5moa to 1K

You will never know for sure until you shoot it.

As Chad say's, no.
Fun to screw with people though!
Help and ask for center dot.
Not hit yet.
Show what can be done.
Ya get a five group at the same time!

I actually go the other way. When I develop an LR load, I select the bullet that will get me to 1000 yards supersonically in my rifle and I set a lower limit on the muzzle velocity I am looking for. This means that I spend time on the computer looking for a combination of bullet BC and MV that suits my needs.

Then at 100 yards, I set up a chrono and test loads until I reach my desired MV. If you cannot reach the required MV without going maximum load, look for another combination, no need to waste your time with this one.

When you reach the MV, I look for the load that will give me a good ES. Then I load up 5 rounds and shoot it for groups at 100 yard, it the bullets go into a nice tight group, like less than 1/4 MOA, then I think I have a load that I has my attention and I can work on it.

So first do the math, figure out your required parameters then see if you can meet these parameters and finally, tune it to be highly accurate at 100 yards, without compromising your requirements. It is a total waste of time (and components) to work up a great load at 100 yards but which has no chance to get beyond 6-700 yards when your goal is 1000.

BTW, I always only use about 90% of a claimed BC value. I know you will be shocked to hear this, but some manufacturers inflate their BC value or present it in the best possible light.

Have been working up loads for a 6 Dasher using 105 Amax, 105 Lapua, 107 SMK, and 108 Berger. Fireforming loads with the Amax were impressive .3 to .4 common @ 100. They shot well all the way to 850 yd. On the other hand the 105 Lapua were right around 1 moa at 100 yd. I was disappointed with that but had 50 loaded so decided to shoot them on out to 600. 2.5" groups at 600, under 1/2 moa, and 3.5" at 800. It's hard to believe they would perform that well at distance with their lack luster performance at 100.

There really aren't that many .308 bullets to choose from for 1000 yd. shooting. Maybe 10 or 12 different bullets from the major makers. With a majority of the guys I know shooting either 175 SMK or 155 Lapua.

bronco,

that is exactly what i have experienced with 155 scenars in my 308. .6 or so average at 100yd but it will hold 1/2moa on my plates at 540yds. there are a few bullets that will outshoot the lapuas at 100yds easily but i havnt found anything that will outshoot them at greater distance.

chuck

I'm with Sig685, and don't buy the "going to sleep" theory.

Cheers,

Bill

Re: Can 100 yard accuracy predict 1000 yard accura

Like SIG says, I chrono damn near EVERYTHING. If it is no good over the chrono, and no good on the paper at 100, I try something else. If it shoots good, I immediately shoot 1K with predicted comeups. If it is not close, I go back to the drawing board.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm with Sig685, and don't buy the "going to sleep" theory. </div></div>
Load up some 208 A-max's in a 308 Win and do a load work up at 100 yards. You may get a good group, or you may not. Take the best load from a 100 yards, and then shoot it at 300 yards. While you're there at 300, do another load work up with the same loads you tried at 100. You will see totally different results from the 100 yard loads. The loads should be (and have been) much tighter at 300 than 100. This would define the bullet "going to sleep".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm with Sig685, and don't buy the "going to sleep" theory.

Cheers,

Bill </div></div>

I guess you also think the Apollo moon shots were made on a Hollywood back lot. The laws of aerodynamics are the same for bullets as they are for airplanes. Stabilizing, or "going to sleep" is a legitimate statement. Key holing as the bullet destabilizes in another example of the same thing in reverse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm with Sig685, and don't buy the "going to sleep" theory.

Cheers,

Bill </div></div>

I guess you also think the Apollo moon shots were made on a Hollywood back lot. The laws of aerodynamics are the same for bullets as they are for airplanes. Stabilizing, or "going to sleep" is a legitimate statement. Key holing as the bullet destabilizes in another example of the same thing in reverse. </div></div>

I'm not talking about "yawing", I'm talking about flight path. I believe that the best moa/accuracy is at the muzzle, and it ALWAYS increases with distance. Relative MOA doesn't get smaller, it doesn't stay the same, it ALWAYS increases with distance. I ask you, once the bullet diverges off the "perfect" path, what "law of physics" forces it back on????

"Destabilization" fits my "theory" just fine, thank you.

I was in grade school during the Apollo missions, and distinctly remember that first step, and asking "who's taking the picture?..." They didn't fool me, even as a child.

Cheers,

Bill

In most common circles, "going to sleep" = no longer yawing from muzzle blast gas release and jacket slippage. Also bullet stabilization = the same answer.

I agree with you on part of it. I was speaking of the aerodynamics of the bullet flight itself. Once the trajectory is defined after leaving the muzzle, unless acted on by an outside source, wind or rain or other objects, it does not change.

Maybe I misunderstood the statement about "going to sleep".

As far as the Apollo moon shots. The first one happened less than a year before I was married. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

Thanks, Victor - fair enough. I probably used the "wrong" term, and I agree with you on the "individual" bullet; I was thinking groups.

I was waiting for the picture from "how bullets fly", to show me how I'm wrong, and that those wildly gyrating bullets all "settle down" and "converge" at the end, when given enough time....

Best regards,

Bill

The Devil is in the details, and the details are about the vertical spread.

100yd is not enough to tell about the vertical spread, the only real way to tell about the vertical is to actually shoot 1000yd, and if you can't, then as close to 1000yd as is actually possible is exactly that much better than 100yd.

It's not rocket surgery...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Devil is in the details, and the details are about the vertical spread.

100yd is not enough to tell about the vertical spread, the only real way to tell about the vertical is to actually shoot 1000yd, and if you can't, then as close to 1000yd as is actually possible is exactly that much better than 100yd.

It's not rocket surgery... </div></div>

I don't recall anyone here saying that if it will shoot well at 100yards, it will automatically shoot well at 1000 yards.

On the other hand, I can guarantee you that if your load does not work well at 100 yards, you are wasting your time and increasling expensive components thinking that it will work at 1000 yards.

My point is that you need to use your brain and save components and and barrel wear by figuring out the require parameters for your caliber at 100 yards, if that is your goal. If you think that your 1.5 MOA load at 100 yards will magically become a sub-MOA load at 1000 yards, or if you think you 1/4 MOA 100 yard minimum oatmeal load will gain velocity and stay supersonic past 1200 yards when JBM shows it going transonic at 655 yard, then I have some beach front property I would like to sell you.

Once you have a superbly accurate load at 100 yards, that meets your minimum requirements for 1000 yards, then you can <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">start</span></span> working on that load, at that distance.

"I don't recall anyone here saying that if it will shoot well at 100yards, it will automatically shoot well at 1000 yards.

On the other hand, I can guarantee you that if your load does not work well at 100 yards, you are wasting your time and increasling expensive components thinking that it will work at 1000 yards.

... Once you have a superbly accurate load at 100 yards, that meets your minimum requirements for 1000 yards, then you can start working on that load, at that distance."

I agree.

I have a question, if I have a 1/2moa shooting load at 100, is it feasible that given perfect conditions (say an indoor range with no wind), can that same 1/2moa load hold at least 1moa all the way out to 1K+ yards assuming the rifle can be aimed precisely for each shot.

I have easy access to 100m range, however getting out passed that requires more planning, and some luck.

Branden

No.

A light, flat-based benchrest bullet can shoot you a bughole at 200 and 300 yards. They'll go subsonic way before 1,000.

I suppose I should have included more details. Assume that the combination of all variables is such that the bullet supersonic beyond 1000 yards.

Branden

Intuitively you would think so. I have never seen perfect conditions at 1000 yards. Even in a large 3000 feet wide building, there will be air currents and areas of cold and heat. During the 1.5 second flight, lots of things can happen to a bullet and it usually does.

However, all that being said, with superlative ammo and components, and if your bullet can stay comfortably above Mach 1 for the duration and more is better,then yes, I will say that it is possible. Heck, look op the recent benchrest record for 1000 yards. And I have seen a clean at F-class 1000 yards recently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...BTW, I always only use about 90% of a claimed BC value. I know you will be shocked to hear this, but some manufacturers inflate their BC value or present it in the best possible light. </div></div>

Why not use the G7 BC which is not velocity based & alleviate all the inflated claims???

Let me tell you my story and maybe y'all can help me or others with similar issues. I just got a Remington 700 5R .308. I bought some Corbon 155g Lapua Scenars and some Black Hills 175g SMK. I shot both rounds through my gun at 100 yards. The 155's shot probably a 1" group, while the 175's nearly put it in the same hole every shot. I thought "great, I've found the round my gun loves!". So I ordered the components to hopefully reload a similar round to the Black Hills (175 SMK's, CCI Primers, Varget, and I've got both My Blackhills and Lapua once fired brass). I know that both the 175s and the 155 can be loaded to stay supersonic to 1000. But now my concern is that I bought all the stuff to reload 175s but maybe my gun might overall like (shoot) the 155s better, even though the groups weren't as good at 100y. From this thread it seems like this could be a possibility.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Handloader</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My dope charts are significantly off, form real world application! </div></div>

were your dope charts built under the same conditions that your real world data was gathered? (humidity, temp, altitude, etc..etc..)

And have you run a tracking test on your scope to make sure it is actually giving you what it says on the knob?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> On the other hand, I can guarantee you that if your load does not work well at 100 yards, you are wasting your time and increasling expensive components thinking that it will work at 1000 yards.</div></div>

My 6.5 load is nothing to brag about @ 100 yards, but does very well @ distance. In fact it usually produces the same size groups @ 200 as it does @ 100 yards. Go figure.

One of my .308 loads is similar. Not the best @ 100 yards, but does very well on out.

If I was going to a 100 yard shoot, I would use a different load than I normally use in either rifle. Both the mentioned loads use Scenars; I attribute it, right or wrong, to something with the Lapuas.

I guess I got lucky....my 100 yard group seems to do ok at 1K too.

100 yard group and bottom two pics of the group I shot last Sat. at a 1000yd match that won me best group of the match.

Take care,Stan

Nice shooting, although you need a little left windage
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me tell you my story and maybe y'all can help me or others with similar issues. I just got a Remington 700 5R .308. I bought some Corbon 155g Lapua Scenars and some Black Hills 175g SMK. I shot both rounds through my gun at 100 yards. The 155's shot probably a 1" group, while the 175's nearly put it in the same hole every shot. I thought "great, I've found the round my gun loves!". So I ordered the components to hopefully reload a similar round to the Black Hills (175 SMK's, CCI Primers, Varget, and I've got both My Blackhills and Lapua once fired brass). I know that both the 175s and the 155 can be loaded to stay supersonic to 1000. But now my concern is that I bought all the stuff to reload 175s but maybe my gun might overall like (shoot) the 155s better, even though the groups weren't as good at 100y. From this thread it seems like this could be a possibility. </div></div>
What factory ammo your gun likes is not relevant, IMO, to what handloads it likes. You cannot 100% duplicate the factory ammo, but you can get close. Pick a bullet you want (that applies to your rifle) and work on getting it to shoot well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But now my concern is that I bought all the stuff to reload 175s but maybe my gun might overall like (shoot) the 155s better, even though the groups weren't as good at 100y. From this thread it seems like this could be a possibility.
</div></div>

The 175's will do you no good at all, you need to go with the 155's. Send all the 175 stuff my way for proper disposal!

All kidding aside, Chad's response is very true.

Stan-NICE!! was that your first 1K match with the rifle?

NO
All kinds of things can go wrong farther out. Some combinations will shoot very well let´s say at 600m, and then the bullets go sideways at 900m.
that happens very often with 168 Sierras.
No, thats the reason why you cant REALLY predict ballistics NOT accuracy without actually shooting at that distance.
Ed

Re: GO 155....

I'm the other direction with bullet weight. I prefer the heavier bullets with the higher projectiles that retain more downrange energy, and reduced wind drift. Everyone has their preferences. You can do the fast 155's, or the 175's and up sent at sufficient velocities to get to 1K or beyond.

Branden

Re: GO 155....

I agree, that you must first start with the bullet that will
reach the 1000 yard distance and still be super sonic.
My first 1000 yard experience was with a M1A, The 175 gr Sierras
were the bullet of choice, 2650 ft/sec was the velocity to reach
to stay above 1000 ft/sec at 1000yds.
I will also say that all of my 1000yd rifles will shoot well at all ranges. none of mine seem to get better with more distance.
But I do blame myself for all erant shots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I want to develop a load for my .308, can I test 100 yard groups to determine what load my rifle gins best with all the way out to 1000y? Assuming I am using a combination that will stay supersonic....Should a 1 MOA rifle shoot 1 MOA all the way out to it's maximum range? Thanks for helping out a newbie!</div></div>

Forget the load for a moment. Consider instead marksmanship at 100 yards as a means to recognize what's possible at 1000. If you ain't puttin' 'em in one hole at 100 with any load/equipment, you're not not gonna win anything at 1000 for a multitude of reasons, the lest of which error from your load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I want to develop a load for my .308, can I test 100 yard groups to determine what load my rifle gins best with all the way out to 1000y? Assuming I am using a combination that will stay supersonic....Should a 1 MOA rifle shoot 1 MOA all the way out to it's maximum range? Thanks for helping out a newbie!</div></div>

Forget the load for a moment. Consider instead marksmanship at 100 yards as a means to recognize what's possible at 1000. If you ain't puttin' 'em in one hole at 100 with any load/equipment, you're not not gonna win anything at 1000 for a multitude of reasons, the lest of which error from your load. </div></div>

+1...

There is nothing anywhere that will help your groups like trigger time. But you have to be smart about it. Just going out and poping caps is just burning powder. You need to pay attention to ALL the conditions and take notes. If you are serious about competing, look around and find some books to read. There have been a bunch of them written. Subscribe to Precision Shooting magazine. They always have a lot of good articles. Some about 1K shooting. Others about shooting at different range. They always have a "Books for Sale" page in it somewhere. They'll send you one for free if you're interested. Just give them a call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cybersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NO
All kinds of things can go wrong farther out. Some combinations will shoot very well let´s say at 600m, and then the bullets go sideways at 900m.
that happens very often with 168 Sierras.
No, thats the reason why you cant REALLY predict ballistics NOT accuracy without actually shooting at that distance.
Ed </div></div>

Let me gently disagree with you and explain a few things.

Bullets will not spontaneously start to go sideways unless something causes them to do that. In the case of the 168gr SMK that you mention, that event is the bullet going subsonic and getting knocked around in the transonic area. Absent that event, the bullet will follow the ballistics. This is why I was very careful to specify that the load needs to be supersonic, and I usually say, "solidly supersonic" at the target. I like to keep the flight regime above Mach 1.2 to the target.

The question also was about shooting indoors in completely controlled conditions. I have never shot indoors at 1000 yards, but I have been competing at 1000 yards on and off for over 25 years. In the last several years, it has been mainly on, about once a month. By my calculations, I have sent a couple hundred pounds of 75 and 80gr 22 cal bullets and a few more hundred pounds of 30 caliber bullets of various weights into the 1000 yard targets. Not one of my many thousands of rounds ever went in sideways. Why do you think that is?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In a short simple answer- No. If your rifle shoots a load well at 100, then test it at say 300 or 400, and see how it does. Sometimes the best load at 100 is not the best load at longer range. If I am working up a load for long range shooting, testing will be done at 300 yards or further. Typically, the longer bullets for caliber take more distance to settle down and to know the true potential of the load. </div></div>Plus 1 on this there is not a lot you can use at 100 yards that can help at 1000 yards

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As Chad say's, no.
Not hit yet.
Show what can be done.
Ya get a five group at the same time! </div></div>

dude...you need to start supplying a decoder ring for your posts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As Chad say's, no.
Not hit yet.
Show what can be done.

dude...you need to start supplying a decoder ring for your posts. </div></div>

+1.....:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As Chad say's, no.
Not hit yet.
Show what can be done.

ninja what ???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Forget the load for a moment. Consider instead marksmanship at 100 yards as a means to recognize what's possible at 1000. If you ain't puttin' 'em in one hole at 100 with any load/equipment, you're not not gonna win anything at 1000 for a multitude of reasons, the lest of which error from your load. </div></div>

+1

While I'm all for methodically pursuing better ammo (within reason), there's a point where you just may be better off calling it good with a 1/2 moa load @ 100-200yds and just practicing more. Definitely when shooting sling/iron sights, and even when shooting F-Class or other forms of supported prone - its all too easy to shank the shot due to poor setup or follow-through, and then it really doesn't matter how much time you spent (wasted) at the loading bench...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nesikabay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In a short simple answer- No. If your rifle shoots a load well at 100, then test it at say 300 or 400, and see how it does. Sometimes the best load at 100 is not the best load at longer range. If I am working up a load for long range shooting, testing will be done at 300 yards or further. Typically, the longer bullets for caliber take more distance to settle down and to know the true potential of the load. </div></div>Plus 1 on this there is not a lot you can use at 100 yards that can help at 1000 yards</div></div>

All shooting is the same, marksmanship for 100 yards is the same as it is for 1000 yards. Everything done at 100 can help at 1000. For example, the shooter with experience at 100 can easily distinguish less than perfectly countered wind from trigger control error.

I've read and reread the response to my post, and I'm a little confused. My reading is that is is being held up as a falsehood, or at least erroneous. If I was unclear, then I apologize but if...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Devil is in the details, and the details are about the vertical spread.

It's not rocket surgery...
</div></div>

...is off the mark in some way, I'm not seeing it. I'd appreciate somebody explaining to me where my error lies...

No, really...