• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

can a newbie build a boltgun from parts?

itstherush

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2010
www.athensarchery.com
I built an ar15 last year, from a pile of parts and its a great gun. no problems and alot of fun to assemble. im researching in building/buying a long range bolt gun. Im askin what type of gun could the average shooter assemble from a parts list? is it really possible without a good gunsmith, (like my ar15 was)? What type or style makes it easier for assembly from nothing? ive considered the savage to just buy outright, but i like the idea and feel of a job completed by my own hands.

il likely use for targets on steel plates out to 800yards.

maybe considering something that i can get government issue ammo, 7.62X51 (Is that .308 rounds?), or other cheaper ammo based guns...thnks

Re: can a newbie build a boltgun from parts?

the savage starting point will allow you to change barrels also without having to go to a smith. jim at northland shooters supply will get you a bare action and a match barrel plus anything else you need, or sell you a complete rifle.

+1

The Savage is a good way to go if you want to build one up yourself. I have built a couple from a bare action with my choice of barrels and other parts, and am currently waiting on my 260 Brux barrel for my latest build. You will need a couple of tools, and a headspace gage to do it write, but they won't cost you very much. Best part, you can do your own work at home and save some money when its time to do your barrel.

Your choice of barrels is pretty big now. Shilen, McGowan, Brux, SinArms, Douglas, Rock, and more that I can't think of at the moment.

Stocks can be had from Choate, Bell&Carlson, Stockade, McMillan, AICS, Sharp Shooters Supply, etc...

Triggers, and other small parts can be got from several sources as well.

Every Savage I have bought or built has been a very accurate rifle, usually with multiple loads as well.

camod.jpg

10at100-1.jpg

As a former savage guy I would strongly reccomend doing a remington. More parts, more stock choices, bottom metal, scope mounts and on and on. I felt to limited when I built my Savages up, And add in the fact of how many different actions savage has made no one wants to make stocks for them!!Also too many scope mount options as well (round top or flat rear mount!).If you order a rem sa mount or stock there is no confusion as to wether you will get the right part, a sa rem is an sa rem.

As for the easily changed barrels Pac Nor will make you what is called a rem nut barrel so you can change barrels like a savage. i built up a Rem with a pac nor Rem Nut barrel 1-7 twist 223 and it is a tac driver.

I'd go with the Savage also, about anything you can buy for a Remington is available for the Savage.
And if you know what you have there should be no confusion in ordering parts.
Curt

bought a stock savage. very easy to find parts to customize your rifle the way you want to and i'm left handed. so it should be extremely easy to find things for a right handed shooter.

oh, to the OP, look down. bought it, took it apart, bedded it, did it all myself except the timing and truing of the action

Isn't there some gunsmithing necessary when using a new action and new barrel?