• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Can a rem 700LA be made into a 338LM

mercracing

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 9, 2013
    Green Bay, WI
    Just like the title says, I was wondering if a Remington 700 LA can be made into a 338LM with a new bolt and barrel? My main concern is if the action is made to hold up to the larger pressures of the LM. Thanks for the help!

Been done but generally thought of as not so good an idea.

I've heard this from several places and generally agree with the theory. However are there any instances of a "kaboom" that have been documented?

To my knowledge, no. The issue becomes evident with brass. Goes in fine, bang, then bolt lift is heavy upon extraction. The receiver stretches. The brass stretches with it. Receiver snaps back, brass does not. Heavy bolt lift with not so heavy loads. That's the sign telling you its fringe.

Possible, yes. Wise? I don't think so. You could build a parachute out of paper too but would you trust it? There are so many better choices in actions these days far superior to the 700 to build that cartridge on.

To my knowledge, no. The issue becomes evident with brass. Goes in fine, bang, then bolt lift is heavy upon extraction. The receiver stretches. The brass stretches with it. Receiver snaps back, brass does not. Heavy bolt lift with not so heavy loads. That's the sign telling you its fringe.

I'm not a big gun kinda guy. Mostly as in my neck of the woods, there's really no need for it. So I have no dog in this fight, as it were. Thanks for the insight. Much appreciated.

LRI : I'm reading between be lines and your recommendation appears to be that it is marginal. Is there an action for 338 Lapua that is beefed up? It appears surgeon. Defiance and Stiller have the same dimension as a stock Remington 700

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LRI : I'm reading between be lines and your recommendation appears to be that it is marginal. Is there an action for 338 Lapua that is beefed up? It appears surgeon. Defiance and Stiller have the same dimension as a stock Remington 700

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not an engineer. In truth, I'm barely a HS graduate. I can't speak for what other manufacturers do as I don't have the education to draw a conclusion from their design(s). Materials, heat treatment, etc all play into this. I just know the M700 hits a ceiling when trying to go this route.

Good info above.
    The answer is, Remington uses a different action for their .338 LM rifles (looks like it's the XCR now, looks similar to the former Police model).
    I called Brownells to see if they could special order one for me, Remington told them none for sale, as they're backlogged on them for their own in-house production.

A lot of bolt thrust there- don't chance it.