• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Can a Varmint weight Rem 700 .223 barrel be rechambered to .222 Rem?

I'm not a Gunsmith but from looking at the cartridge dimensions, I don't see why not. It looks like you would need to cut off about a half inch of the barrel and rechamber it

Last edited:
There's no reason you couldn't set the barrel back.
It's just a matter of cost/benefit.

You'd have to set the barrel back, but it could be done. I would ask why, though. What does .222 get you that .223 does not?

Wes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. If anyone knows of someone in MD who can do this, please drop me a message or email.

The reason for doing this is that I have a Rem 700 SPS Varmint .223 that I would like to take to a country where .223 is illegal but .222 is alive and well and permitted (and I don't want to pay the price of a new rifle for a rebarrel job; if that's what it boils down to, then I'll just buy a CZ 527 or some used Sako and get rid of the Rem 700, which I like).

Thanks again!

Be easier to rechamber to 222 magnum as I don't believe it would have to be set back (I honestly don't remember).

I have a nice heavy Douglas 14 twist available already chambered in .222 if you are interested, it would just need headspaced. 100 rounds down the tube, pristine condition. It is not a stainless barrel. Shoots lights out!

MLC, thanks for the heads-up on Bob Green; he's only 1.5 hrs from me. Have you had work done by him?

LoanHarvey, PM sent requesting more info.

Thanks again guys!