• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Can anyone give me ballistic numbers on this round?

Lofty

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2008
Lenexa KS
My buddy has a friend that claims to have a 30-378 that shoots 200 grain Bergers at 5100 FPS.

Im no ballistician but that sounds like nonsense to me.

Anyways, I was trying to run the numbers but applied ballistics only goes to 4500 fps. Even then, it crashes the software trying to put those numbers in.

Anyone have an alternate software just to see what it might be at 1000 yards......velocity and energy?

Unless he is sucking loaded 30-378 cartridges down a rail gun, 5100 fps is not happening - and certainly not with a 200 grain bullet. This would require the same amount of energy as a 750 grain .50 bullet launched at 2633 fps. Seeing as a 50 BMG has approximately 290 grains H2O case capacity and 30-378 has about 130 grains H2O case capacity, that's not happening.

Yeah, I ran the computations on Ballistics on my iPad....its funny cause I compared it to a 750 AMAX as well. Same muzzle energy as the AMAX....which I figured was impossible.

I also got 1.8 mils to 1000 yards which is just stupid.

I knew it was nonsense.