• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Can for AR10?

REMF_95

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2008
The Woodlands, TX
I recently purchased a gently used Armalite AR10 (.308) from a Hide member, and after putting an optic on it I finally got a chance to shoot it yesterday. I went with the Trijicon 2.5-10x56, and I am most pleased with the glass...not to mention that the gun itself is a shooter. With factory ammo, it was shooting groups not much larger than .5 MOA.

Here's the link to the specific weapon I purchased: http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?it...a0-49488ec48776

FYI, I purchased this weapon for the sole purpose of shooting swine in low light. While deer hunting last year, I had several instances where my .30-06 bolt gun required me to chose one hog in a pack of 10 or more. Despite the fact that I can run a bolt, the noise from a .30 cal just sends pigs running. I would like to shoot more than one at a time!

As such, I want to put a can on my new AR10. I've been reading many of the threads, and the info here is great. I do, however, have quite a few questions:

1. For an AR10, what would you consider the highest quality can available? Assume that money is not a factor.
2. How much noise reduction could I expect?
3. What impact on accuracy should I expect?
4. My AR flash supressor is of the screw-on type. Would you recommend the QD mount option or using the thread?

As you can tell, I know NOTHING about cans other than the general physics of how they work.

Thanks in advance for any insights. I'm sure I'll have a lot of follow-on questions from any responses.

Re: Can for AR10?

I have a Gemtech HVT with the bi-lock quick-detach mount. It was causing accuracy problems, but an upgrade to their latest baffle stack fixed it. I'm very happy with it now.

If you go with the Gemtech/QD option, you'll want to time the flash hider install so that the lugs are aligned at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions, as it will prevent any gas from getting your scope's objective lens dirty.

I would get the AAC 762SD or the Cyclone or SWR's Omega 30 or Omega 300.The 762SD is a QD can with 5/8 x 24 TPI IIRC.I have had the 762 and it shot very well.

After spending almost a year researching, I went with an Ops Inc. 12th model for my AR-10 and I couldn't be happier with my setup.

To answer your questions,
1.) Ops Inc. 12th or AAC SCAR-H SD are, IMO, the best you can get for an AR-10.
2.) With mine I do not need hearing protection, but I do not know the actual reduction.
3.) Mine might be more accurate with the suppressor, not any worse for sure.
4.) Mine mounts to the Ops Inc. brake.

Mine.
IMG_1938Large-1.jpg

Wow, that's a pretty wide variety of suggestions thus far. No two folks have chimed in with the same advice!

It seems there is a lot of "personal preference" that goes into the supressor decision.

Reading other threads, AAC seems to be an often recommended product, but there seems to be something going on about a tattoo promotion???

My local Class 3 dealer has some Gemtech's on the shelf, but as many folks seem to love them as hate them.

I like the fact that you can shoot the Ops can w/o hearing protection.

Any other advice? This seems about as clear as mud.

That one shooter shoots without hearing protection doesn't mean he - or you - "should." Maybe he's stone deaf and can shoot a 50-cal without hearing protection.

When it's gone, it's gone!

I too am looking for a 30-cal can, to be run on a bolt gun and an AR. Anyone use Yankee Hills? Also, any problems with QD mounts getting less secure over time? I'm considering thread-on to avoid the issue, but maybe it isnt an issue.

It really comes down to personal preference, what is the purpose of the can, is weight an issue, material used, mounting sys, length, etc. You can ask 10 diff people and you will get 10 diff answers.

You shouldn't concentrate on the db reduction numbers as a "louder" can may produce a lower tone/pitch/frequency. You can have multiply cans w/ the same reduction, but some may seem louder than others.

Most of the cans are hearing safe, but it's the prolonged use w/o hearing protection that I would worry about.

AAC makes some fine cans and I really like the MITER mounting system on their Scar-H and SPR/M4. Surefire also make some nice cans but are over priced IMHO.

Also I can NOT and will not recommend Gemtech due to past experiences, there much better option out there than Gemtech.

I really like the SureFire suppressors. I just tested out a few yesterday and was really impressed. Taking them on and off is easy and quick and it locks up to the same spot everytime which makes your impact shift the same also.

Chuck

Well, today it came down to what I could get my hands on.

I went with the Gemtech HVT with the QD mount. Although AAC was the most often suggested option, NOT one dealer in Houston from AAC's website is a stocking dealer. The story I got from several shops is that they are very difficult to deal with and take a long time to fill orders, but IMHO that seems to be because they have good stuff and are in pretty high demand.

The baffle stack in the HVT is Gen 2 - so I hope not to encounter the accuracy problems that LFOD1776 had. I also appreciate the comment about arranging the flash hider appropriately. I'll make sure that is done.

Now, I see more info in this forum about subsonic rounds that will probably entail other consideration/modification...

FYI - this may be common knowledge, but the dealer said that ATF's turn-around time on Form 4 is now 8-10 weeks.

Thanks for the help, guys. Again, there seems to be a lot of strong opinions, & at the end of the day I guess I can only choose one, get after it, and see what happens.

I'll let you know how it works out...in a few months!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LFOD1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AAC makes fine cans, <span style="font-weight: bold"> just buy from a stocking dealer.</span> </div></div>

DITTO!

I have many .30 cal cans and in my opinion the SRT Shadow Ti is the best field suppressor available. No POI shift and very low FRP, which is the number that really matters when hunting. The AR10 is heavy enough without the suppressor on it. No need to put any more weight on the end than is necesary. There may be one better alternative in the the XL version, I will let you know in a few months when the ATF allows me to have it.

In what part of Mississippi do you hunt? I grew up there, and I still go back once or twice a month during the season. We hunt off the Natchez Trace just south of Kosciusko - bad hog problem.

Hence, my AR10 experiment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REMF_95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, today it came down to what I could get my hands on.

I went with the Gemtech HVT with the QD mount. Although AAC was the most often suggested option, NOT one dealer in Houston from AAC's website is a stocking dealer. The story I got from several shops is that they are very difficult to deal with and take a long time to fill orders, but IMHO that seems to be because they have good stuff and are in pretty high demand.

The baffle stack in the HVT is Gen 2 - so I hope not to encounter the accuracy problems that LFOD1776 had. I also appreciate the comment about arranging the flash hider appropriately. I'll make sure that is done.

Now, I see more info in this forum about subsonic rounds that will probably entail other consideration/modification...

FYI - this may be common knowledge, but the dealer said that ATF's turn-around time on Form 4 is now 8-10 weeks.

Thanks for the help, guys. Again, there seems to be a lot of strong opinions, & at the end of the day I guess I can only choose one, get after it, and see what happens.

I'll let you know how it works out...in a few months! </div></div>

I had the same problem, the dealers I visited locally here in Houston all push Gemtech it seems. I just order from out of state to get the cans I want and wait on the Form 3 AND the Form 4.

Any more feedback / experience with the Surefire FA762SS?

I am setting my AR-10 up now with the Surefire adapter for use with a can once I escape from the PRNJ (People's Republic of NJ)...

anyone know about the AAC SCAR-H ?
I want to mount one on my AR 10 SASS
I just found one after looking for months but now I am told the barrel will need to be turned down as the MITER mount will not fit the armalite SASS barrel

is this true ?

if so cant the mount have some material taken off from the ID of the mount rather than cutting down the OD on the barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tigerbikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any more feedback / experience with the Surefire FA762SS?

I am setting my AR-10 up now with the Surefire adapter for use with a can once I escape from the PRNJ (People's Republic of NJ)... </div></div>

LOL i was from NJ as well i had to get a second house in PA so i could have all the toys NJ would not allow

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SEPUL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone know about the AAC SCAR-H ?
I just found one after looking for months but now I am told the barrel will need to be turned down as the MITER mount will not fit the armalite SASS barrel

is this true ?

if so cant the mount have some material taken off from the ID of the mount rather than cutting down the OD on the barrel </div></div>

i have the scar h and it works fine! they make 2 different mounts, one is 650 id and the other is 750. it is very common to have to have the barrel turned,
C

I just got a SASS and plan on using my SAS can on it. I too hunt near Possumneck, MS and the pigs are getting worse. My SASS is to go get them! I will have to post shooting results later as I am waiting on an adapter from gun to can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SEPUL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone know about the AAC SCAR-H ?

is this true ?

if so cant the mount have some material taken off from the ID of the mount rather than cutting down the OD on the barrel </div></div>

i have the scar h and it works fine! they make 2 different mounts, one is 650 id and the other is 750. it is very common to have to have the barrel turned,
C </div></div>

ok so you have the SCAR-H mounted on a armalite SASS ?
what mount worked the 650. or the 750. or did you need to turn down the barrel

well its on a 21" noveske ar-10, so close, i havethe 750 mount and it still had to be cut some

I use a AAC Cyclone on mine... going to try my SAS 308 can soon...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what does the outside of your barrel measure with calipers? </div></div>

i am going to call AAC to get the ID of the MOUNT i will have to check on the OD of the barrel

i really dont want to send a new gun out to cut the barrel down can the mount be opened up ? i really wanted the SCAR-H but i may just opt for a 7.62 SD

buy from a stocking dealer or prepare to wait at least 5 times as long as they quote.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">buy from a stocking dealer or prepare to wait at least 5 times as long as they quote. </div></div>

Good advise for purchasing from any suppressor manufacturer.....

SureFire's work awesome. The mounting solution is great. You get the same point of impact shift everytime due to it lining up to the same point. Easy on easy off quiet and every suppressor gets test fired before it goes out the door.

Chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REMF_95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In what part of Mississippi do you hunt? I grew up there, and I still go back once or twice a month during the season. We hunt off the Natchez Trace just south of Kosciusko - bad hog problem.

Hence, my AR10 experiment. </div></div>

I hunt not to far from you, we are just outside of Canton, plenty of deer but no hogs. I have been looking for a place to lease for hog hunting if you know of any. If you are in town and looking for a place to hunt or shoot let me know. I have a range on my place where we can always shoot up to 700 yrds. When the ag fields are not to high we can go alot farther.

I will second the OPS INC. 12th it is the real deal...well out does my old Gemtech HVT and my old JET

I have a Gemtech HVT on my AR10. No accuracy problems, in fact it shoots sub half minute with and without the can. I do get some cycling issues with the can. I get some cases that stay in the port and the next one jams. Cases are dirty as hell with the HVT also. I'm thinking about an adjustable gas block to fix it. Its takes away the boom completely. The sonic crack isnt bad as it seems to be down range. Subsonics shoot well it it too and are Hollywood quiet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zink14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will second the OPS INC. 12th it is the real deal...well out does my old Gemtech HVT and my old JET </div></div>
+1 Top 2 performers IMO

Ops Inc 12th MBS 7.62
AAC Cyclone

I would avoid Gemtech and Jet like an STD!

I went with the Scar H. I haven't gotten my gun back from builder or the paper work back from the atf. +1 for never get a AAC can unless its instock. Then trust the person that tells you its instock.

Call Mark at Polite Society in Atlanta, he is a stocking dealer for a number of can manufactures and had a AAC 762SD and the quick connect mount in stock. I don't work for PSI just a happy customer.

Wow! The 8-10 week wait time quoted by my dealer was a pipe dream. ATF cashed my check on May 21, and I haven't heard a word. I called their number to check on status, and they still say "Pending."

I have a buddy who sent BATFE a Form 4 over a month after I did, and he's already gotten it back.

WTF? Is anyone else experiencing delays of this length?

REMF_95 - it sounds like you took it in the shorts on an ATF wait time. I sent off F4/Trust on 15-Jun and had suppressor in hand on 25-Sep (3.5 months). I suppose it's just blind luck on which examiner received your documentation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazlo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I suppose it's just blind luck on which examiner received your documentation. </div></div>

Unless they have changed,... it's always been first letter of last name = which examiner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazlo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">REMF_95 - it sounds like you took it in the shorts on an ATF wait time. </div></div>

Yeah it does. Is there absolutely nothing one can do?

Nope. You are at the mercy of the ATF. Just sit back, have a beer, or a couple of cases, and get it when you get it. I don't even bother calling any longer, as long as I know my check cashed, I know they have it. No reason to worry over something you have no control over.

"The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!" (Nathan Johnson - inventor of the OptiGrab).

I got the can yesterday.

Check cashed by BATFE on May 21, 2009.
Form 4 stamed on October 23, 2009.

5 months, 2 days.