• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Can for my new AR

Alaskaman11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2009
Last Frontier
Ok this is going to be my first suppressor, few questions, what do I need to look for? Also, is there a difference in size of the cans? Last but not least, if I pay my 200 bucks to Uncle Sam, is that for every can I get or one stamp to have all the cans I want?

Thx all!

Re: Can for my new AR

$200 each can....bummer huh?

My advice, buy right the first time, get something made of titanium so it's light and doesn't make your rifle a pig to shoot.

I'd also think hard about a Shark can, changeable ends so that you can swap the thread types. Get a 30 cal can, use it on your 223 with no issues, then change the end caps and put it on the 308, etc. Like 2 or 3 suppressors in one.

I would spend some time over at Silencer Research Silencer Research and read what people are saying. If you are going to spend that kind of money for a suppressor make sure you do your research first and then make a informed decision. Yes, size and weight make a big difference on the end of your rifle. For example, I have a 308 Gemtech HVT that I did use on my 223's and it worked well but it was kind of heavy thus making the rifle front heavy. It was fine in the prone but not in the kneeling or standing position. So I decided to get a 223 suppressor - an AAC M4/2000. It is light and relatively small and does not make my M4 feel out of balance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would spend some time over at Silencer Research Silencer Research and read what people are saying. If you are going to spend that kind of money for a suppressor make sure you do your research first and then make a informed decision. Yes, size and weight make a big difference on the end of your rifle. For example, I have a 308 Gemtech HVT that I did use on my 223's and it worked well but it was kind of heavy thus making the rifle front heavy. It was fine in the prone but not in the kneeling or standing position. So I decided to get a 223 suppressor - an AAC M4/2000. It is light and relatively small and does not make my M4 feel out of balance. </div></div>

+1
It's pretty hard to sell a used suppressor so I would take your time making the decision. It's best to go and hear a few before making up your mind.

I agree, do your research. I am waiting for the stamp on my first can. I have a bolt action 308, AR-10 carbine, AR-15 SPR, and an AR-15 SBR, I went with a Gemtech HVT Quick Detach 7.62. I'm thinking it should be a nice can for all four of those. Good luck with your search.

Also look into setting up a trust or an LLC, it will help move threw the process a bit quicker, and you can pass NFA restricted items onto family members without having to fill out another form and pay another $200.00.

Cans for ARs are one of the more tricky ones to shop for.
There are quite a few variables that need to be considered.

1: Added Length / Weight
Do you care about how much longer your rifle will become?
When you stick 2 lbs of steel on the end of your barrel, it becomes uncomfortable to shoot fairly quickly.
(Conditioning and training can overcome the weight issues though.)

2: Durability / Accuracy
Cans for ARs are not created equally.
There are ones designed for quiet precision fire and then there are ones designed for a high volume of fire.
If you ever intend on using it on a short barrel AR, it is essential that you take this into account.
(I intentionally left out serviceability because we are talking high pressure centerfire rifle suppressors.)

3: Versatility
The mount and caliber of can you decide on will dictate what other hosts it can be used on.
As previously stated, a 30 cal can such as a Shark, AAC, or SureFire can be easily used on multiple host fairly easily just by using their standard QD mount.
(Different end cap in the case of the Shark.)
IMO, the most versatile cans are the ones that attach to a standard A2 flash hider such as the Gemtech Halo or the SRT Universal Typhoon.

4: Sound Reduction
This is by far the least important quality in a can that will be used on an AR.
The hyper-sonic projectile coupled with the sound generated by the gas system is quite substantial.
My opinion when it comes to AR cans is that as long as they reduce the SPL to below 140db I'm happy.

Good luck to you.
You have a lot of decisions to make if you want to find the suppressor fits your needs.
A subscription to http://www.silencerresearch.com/ is money well spent.

Cheers,
Phil

A couple good posts in here already. Dr. Phil's tops the list.

Decide what features are most important to you. When selecting a rifle caliber suppressor I am concerned with quality of materials and construction, mounting solution, POI shift (but am most concerned with repeatability), gas back pressure (especially important on gas guns) and somewhere further down the list sound performance.

There actually IS a sound difference with 5.56 suppressors. For example, I can shoot an AAC Ranger 2 right next to an AAC M4-2000 and there is a noticeable sound difference; the M42K being the quieter of the two. Also, understand the sound meter does NOT show you the entire story. There CAN be a noticeable sound performance difference attributable to tone. People who say tone doesn't matter have little first-hand experience with a variety of suppressors. The sound meter does NOT tell you tone, frequency, length of sound dissipation, etc. So, don't just buy a 5.56 suppressor based on sound numbers published on some website. I use dB numbers to tell me how close a suppressor & host combination operates to the magic 140-dB "hearing safe" number but that is about it. YMMV.