• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

can I fit a 75 or 80 grain amax onto an ar15 magazine

mikey h

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2014
Hi everyone.brand new to this site from new zealand.i have just purchased an rra ath.it has not arrived yet but am wanting to do some loading for small deer out to about 300 yards.
Am I going to be able to fit a 75 or 80 grain amax into the rra ath magazine.if not does anyone have some suggestions
Thank you ..much appreciated

Those weights are not designed to be mag fed, so you would need to seat them really deep, reducing powder capacity and then have a huge jump to the lands.

Look at something designed to be mag fed, like the 77gn Nosler or 77 Sierra.

Last edited:
77gr Sierra, 69gr HPBT or something the size of the Hornady 75gr HPBT (don't use for hunting) will fit. The 75 and 80gr AMAXs are for bolt action guns.

Last edited:
This is what happens when the 75gr A-Max is loaded to 2.260" oal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 35
The following bullets that I have personal experience with will load to magazine length:
Hornady
68 gr HPBT
75 gr HPBT

Sierra and Nosler
69 gr HPBT
77 gr HPBT

The following will not
Hornady 75 gr AMAX
Anyone's bullet 80 grains or heavier

77gr Sierra, 69gr AMAX or something the size of the Hornady 75gr HPBT (don't use for hunting) will fit. The 75 and 80gr AMAXs are for bolt action guns.

there is no such thing as a 69gr Amax

unless it's new and I missed the announcement

We need a company like Berger to develop a 70ish hybrid optimized for 2.26"... [MENTION=18711]BryanLitz[/MENTION] ;)

Last edited:
I have successfully used the 75 gr Amax in mags. I crimped the case and loaded them to 2.3 while using PRI mags.

Thanks guys.i will try out the 75 gr hornady bthp.90 percent of my shooting is hunting so definately need something thats going to penetrate and do some damage at the same time

From Paul:

If there was one bullet that I had to choose, and this is going to sound totally against conventional wisdom, it would be hard for me to ignore the 75gr A-MAX. Next would be the 77gr Scenar-L, and 75gr Hornady BTHP, along with 77gr SMK & 77gr NCC.

Performance from a 16" barrel is simply awesome with the 75gr A-MAX. I didn't believe it could be mag-loaded since I had seen that feedback about it all over the place, after "mistakenly" ordering some when they had them on clearance at Midway, thinking I was ordering 75gr BTHP.

After looking at the bullet, its bearing surface, and ogive length, I wrote it off and considered it an inexpensive lesson....

Until a fellow arfcommer showed up at one of my DM Courses in March with 200 of them loaded up on top of 8208 XBR, with a taper crimp to help transition the mouth over the slightly buried ogive. I immediately thought to myself, "Oh no, this dude is going to have major problems in this course, and we are going to have to provide him with ammo." Not a good start for the day.

Then he proceeded to make hits from 200yds to 600yds like it was easy, and this was his first formal course where wind-reading and trajectory were being introduced as new subjects, and the conditions were abhorrent, with temp at 17 F, winds coming down the mountain at full value, 15-22mph and inconsistent...howling, snow blowing sideways at times.

Not only was he hitting everything with at least an 85% hit rate, but he was doing it from positions as well. He didn't have a single hiccup either. BC is .435, and his measured mv average before showing up was 2700fps from a Criterion barrel, with 1.5 MOA accuracy, which is all you really need for 600yds on 18" plates. If you're looking for X count, then it's probably a single-loaded COL affair, but if you are looking to impact plates at distance, they are fun.

1d41f2461_zps2f166d24.jpg

Hornady makes an 82-grain magazine-length bullet, but they seem to only sell it at Camp Perry.