• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Can it be done? 1 suppressor for 308/338/6.5

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Am getting an MRAD and was curious if there was something out there that would do equally well for a 308/6.5/338 and 300WM? Was hoping I could turn 4 suppressors into 1 for obvious reasons.

I understand I'd have to get something for 338LM due to it being the larger diameter, but would I be leaving d/b reduction on the table for the other calibers that would benefit more from a caliber specific suppressor, or would it not even matter?

You will generally have some slight increase in sound level as you shoot the smaller caliber. Enough to matter? Hard to say, it's pretty subjective. The bigger tradeoff is in size/weight. Look at it this way, if you start with something like the 338 Ultra (an excellent choice) you can always add a 5.56 unit if you decide the trade-offs just don't work out. You may find the .308/6.5 are perfectly fine in the 338 can, so now you only own two rather than four. Start with the large caliber and work down.

Yeah 338 Ultra is the way to go. It sounds awesome on sub calibers and weights in less than 17 oz. Lighter than some 308 cans out there.

I've got very little first hand experience with suppressors but last week I shot a 338 ultra on an AX Lapua, AX 6.5CM, and a Remington 300 black. I was shocked at how effective it was on the lighter calibers.

Before I was of the thinking that if a guy had several platforms up to and including a 338 then he would need to cans, one for everything 30 cal and smaller, another for the 338.

I was wrong.

We run the AI suppressor in a 338 version on our AW 338s and 308, they attach over the brakes.Noise reduction is excellent regardless of which calibre we shoot

I just purchased an MRAD as well. This thread has me very excited as well. I think I will be spending more time in this section in the near future!!

Hit me up if anyone needs an 338 Ultra. I have 1 left in stock. I used one on my DTA with 338, 6.5 creed, and .308. Well beyond awesome on all 3.

Hit me up if anyone needs an 338 Ultra. I have 1 left in stock. I used one on my DTA with 338, 6.5 creed, and .308. Well beyond awesome on all 3.

He HAD two, but now only has one because I did some research on this very topic. I wanted one for my 338 Norma, but wanted it to be useable for a couple of 6.5 CMs. Everything I found pointed me to the 338 Ultra as the one I wanted. 317millhand had two at a very good price, so I bought one of them. (By the way, it arrived safely at my local FFL last week, so Thanks, Steve!)

I shoot the MRAD with a Thunderbeast 338BA (Upgraded to Ultra Core) IanHusaberg TheGerman This is the can I posted to your MRAD thread. Works well on all calibers, amazing how quite it actually is on a 338 as well. This is the only can I run on the MRAD and its switch barrels. The TBAC 338 is quieter than my Surefire 7.62 and mini on 308 and 300BLK.

Attachments

• photo48847.jpg
      photo48847.jpg
      148.2 KB · Views: 159
    • photo49138.jpg
      photo49138.jpg
      75.8 KB · Views: 97
    Last edited:
    We run the AI suppressor in a 338 version on our AW 338s and 308, they attach over the brakes.Noise reduction is excellent regardless of which calibre we shoot

I didn't think those were available in the states .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 338 Ultra does amazing things for the larger calibers. Almost hard to believe that it could take the 338LM down so much. 317millhand was great to work with on purchasing, and would certainly recommend him if you are looking to make a purchase.

I ran my big bore harvester on one of my AR-10's in 308 for a few months while I was waiting on the OSS I bought for it to get released. It sounded great on the smaller caliber, I have also ran it on a DT in 308 and 338 with awesome results. The only draw back is that it is heavier than a dedicated 30 cal can, however I did not experience any ill effects with harmonics with the rifles I used it on.

IMG_8531.JPG

Another vote for the TBAC 338 Ultra...At the range the other day and shooting the AXMC in all three of the calibers that I shoot 338L/300N/6.5CM and a had several guys come over and ask; "what in the world are you shooting? That can is amazingly quiet!" The only reason I also have the 7 Ultra is for my lightweight mountain rifle, fabulous can for its purpose (light and small) but out of the 5 cans I own nothing suppresses as well as the 338 Ultra, regardless of caliber...

Got a 338BA i use on several calibers. Sounds good, repeatable.

I use my Ops Inc 3rd Model on:

300WM (sold this one and RWS building me another):
    MK13_zps29b6b7e4.jpg

AR10 (308):
    20160816_182402_zpsn27o0sx6.jpg

R700 in 260 (was in 308 with the same can):
    IMG_20130213_215634_565_zps5ea7f5c3.jpg

GA Precision is building me a GAP10 G2 in 260 with the barrel profiled for the same can.

I have the silencer co harvester big bore. I use it on my 6.5 and .308, it will work on 300 and 338lm no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my TBAC and their customer service. Sig makes a 338LM can and it's around $1,100 street. It's fairly lightweight. I just have trouble finding TBAC cans in my LGS, but I love them. I've been impressed with Sig cans but I'm not terrible picky about my cans. I feel like most work pretty well and adapters and customer service are the deal makers for me.

PB

I use a surefire fa338ss as a multi caliber suppressor. It's really effective with smaller calibers and doesn't feel heavy on the end of my barrel

I just got my AAC Titan QD out of ATF jail and it sounds great on 338 Lapua, 308, and 300 blk as those are the main calibers I shoot, only downside is the muzzle brakes are so expensive. I have no idea why a 90 tooth 308 brake mount is 150 but a 338 brake mount is 300- makes no sense

I'm getting ready to order another can as well. I'm 99% sure I'm going with the 338 Ultra so I can shoot it mostly on my 308 AT but looking to get a 338 next year so it should work. What I can't decide is brake or direct attach. I really like the simplicity of direct attach and just one less thing.

I actually just removed my brakes/QD's from my barrels (.223, 6x47 Lapua, .308W) for my SiCo Omega. It just seemed like the can was coming loose on the brakes and I was always having to look after it. The thread for the brakes is 5/8 x 24, which is the same for the can, once the Q/D mount is removed. I used to poo poo the idea of direct thread, but I actually prefer it now. Between brakes and Q/D mounts, could have saved myself 5 or 600 bucks......

I actually just removed my brakes/QD's from my barrels (.223, 6x47 Lapua, .308W) for my SiCo Omega. It just seemed like the can was coming loose on the brakes and I was always having to look after it. The thread for the brakes is 5/8 x 24, which is the same for the can, once the Q/D mount is removed. I used to poo poo the idea of direct thread, but I actually prefer it now. Between brakes and Q/D mounts, could have saved myself 5 or 600 bucks......

Yep. I'm the same way. I usually buy a can per firearm be even so, I just don't swap enough for it to matter. And I can't see myself shooting without the suppressor on the rifles I do own. For storage the thread protector works fine and I can still shoot it that way.

I'm getting ready to order another can as well. I'm 99% sure I'm going with the 338 Ultra so I can shoot it mostly on my 308 AT but looking to get a 338 next year so it should work. What I can't decide is brake or direct attach. I really like the simplicity of direct attach and just one less thing.

Just as a follow up to this comment. I ended up going with the 338 Ultra as my catch all can. To help justify the extra cash spent on the 338, I compared it to a friends Ultra 9. I shot about 10 rounds each of 308 Federal Siera 175s. The 338 is quieter without question.

Size wise they are very close so I don't even think I'll notice it.

Weight is imperceptible to me.

TBAC rules. To be fair, I only own TBAC cans, but when you're this happy with the quality and performance, I'm not looking any further.

I have the TBAC 338 Ultra in jail, going on my MRAD once released. Great reading the comments along the way that confirm the decision, thanks everyone.

I have the TBAC ultra brakes on my 338LM, 6.5CM and 22" 308 barrels. I'm planning on picking up one of the 17" 308 barrels and putting an ASR brake on it, to use with my SpecWar 762 while I'm waiting for the Beast to be released.

One other contender I'll throw in the mix is the SIlencerco Hybrid. If I could only own one can, this would be it: http://www.scout.com/military/sniper...encerco-hybrid as it would cover both rifle and pistol. I've got one of these in jail as well that should release a bit before the Beast... rash pickup in the 41F discount sales that were going on at the time...

Last edited: