• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can/should I remove primers and start over?

IdahoSpud

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2020
I've had one pack of large magnum rifle primers sitting around with nothing else forever so I finally just primed 50 cases on my 300 Win Mag to start load development.

Of course today I go in and actually score 2,000 CCI BR2s.

If I do load development with my last 100 large magnum primers then switch to the BR2s is it going to make a big difference? Should I just pull these primers and restart with the BR2s? If so, do I just put them in a decapping die and immediately re prime? Putting a live primer in doesn't sound safe(?)

Depends how far into load dev you are. If you're just starting, I'd just run em. Good for fire forming and getting close on powder charge, at least.

Well definitely do your load development with what you're going to run long term.

And it's not a problem to decap the existing primers, just go easy.

Reactions: Holliday
Easy enough to finish load development then load up some rounds w the BR2s to test w the same load to check for any differences.

What is the rifle going to be used for? Hunting in cold weather? Personally i stick to mag primers in mag cartridges. Hard for me to say what the change will be by switching primers, Really should restart low and work up with any component change. Depends on how hot your already pushing it, Had a buddy loading 6.5 CM in a gas gun on the warm side, Subbed WRL primers in place of Fed LR and started popping primers out of brass when firing.

I would use a decapping die to punch out the others if you do not want to use them, wear eye and ear protection just in case, and go easy. should not have any issues. I never have, but their is always a first time for everything. Many people do it, and many refuse..... your call.

Reactions: Newbie2020
^^^^that makes tons of sense. Loading near the ragged edge changes the rules......

Thanks for the replies. If it's safe to de cap them live I will probably just do that. Brass has been fired twice but I just fully resized to use in a new rifle so I'm basically at step one.

I hate wasting primers right now but if it's going to possibly change the load then attempting to develop it with 50 odd primers before switching to 2000 of a different kind if probably pretty stupid. If I had more mag primers I'd just use those and check the difference, but I haven't been able to find any for almost a year so no hopes for more right now. Once that 50 is gone I HAVE to switch.

The rifle is primarily going to be used for target shooting and learning ELR, with the occasional elk/deer hunt. Usually it the coldest it ever gets is in the teens during the season.

Here is an OLD thread on 300WM and primers, May or may not be of Help.

• Sad
Reactions: IdahoSpud
Depends on the type of load development you plan on doing. If you are planning on basing things on chronograph data I would swap them out. If you use Newberry’s OCW and base it on the target results, I agree with post #2.

It is safe to pop the primers out and you don't have to throw them away, they can be stored safely and correctly and used at a later date. Or give them away which shouldn't be too hard right now.

If you are going with a ball powder and especially if you are going to be hunting/shooting in cold weather, the CCI 250 or Federal 215 are the safe bet for sure ignition. Cheap insurance when the 6x6 elk of a lifetime is standing 150 yards away. (Or the polar bear has decided you would make a great little snack)

I've had one pack of large magnum rifle primers sitting around with nothing else forever so I finally just primed 50 cases on my 300 Win Mag to start load development.

Of course today I go in and actually score 2,000 CCI BR2s.

If I do load development with my last 100 large magnum primers then switch to the BR2s is it going to make a big difference? Should I just pull these primers and restart with the BR2s? If so, do I just put them in a decapping die and immediately re prime? Putting a live primer in doesn't sound safe(?)

It depends on the powder and the temperature.