• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can someone explain closed forearms to me...

DavidBoren

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2021
Portland, Oregon
What's with all the full/complete/closed at the top handguards on bolt rifle stocks these days?

There's just no way nightvision/thermals are popular enough in the civilian market to warrant such a high number of these handguards.

I understand the merits of bipods that attach above the axis of the bore, but they don't require a full 12 o'clock picatinny rail to install. And, most of the full handguards I seen posted here do NOT have such a bipod anyways... seems everyone uses an Atlas or just mounts the rifle on a tripod with an Anvil head. Which, also, doesn't require a full 12 o'clock picatinny rail.

Is it mall-ninja BS?

Or the stock needs a forearm, anyways, so let's bolt on this tube?

Place to put hand
Mirage mitigation
Extra weight
Thank you for the quick reply.

When you say it's a place to put the hand... is this a general statement? Or are people using thumb over barrel holds in precision bolt rifle shooting? I am not exactly up to speed on the various shooting positions used these days in the sorts of events these sorts of rifles are used... maybe there is a position that involves a hand resting over the top of the barrel that I am unaware of.

Mirage mitigation is something I had not thought about, but makes sense.

I did think about the added weight, but figured that is a double edged sword... a lot of people try to build lightweight rigs for portability, and the people that want extra weight have never been afraid to add it whenever they need it... so it seems that offering the stock with a more traditional open forearm would immediately appeal to a larger market.

It just seems so tacti-cool-pointless for like 99% of the rifles I see them on.

Reactions: kmckinnon
Look up nrl and prs matches on youtube and note how many people put their hands on the forend

Sounds like it doesn't fit YOUR type of shooting. I personally don't see the point of a >$2000 shotgun because it doesn't fit MY shooting. Doesn't mean it doesn't have a purpose to the people buying them.

It makes you look cool
Like a tactical super sniper operator
It compensates for a very small penis
I have them on every rifle
I have a very small penis

The real answer is they allow for 360° accessory attachment. They allow for NV if you want to run it. Spot for full grip with hand.

Most of all it’s just a cosmetic preference. No different that saying every gun should be one color unless you need to camouflage to a certain environment

Some just prefer it

Sounds like it doesn't fit YOUR type of shooting. I personally don't see the point of a >$2000 shotgun because it doesn't fit MY shooting. Doesn't mean it doesn't have a purpose to the people buying them.
Fair enough.

I'm with you on shotguns, though. In my opinion, handguns and shotguns only exist so you can fight your way to a rifle...

Reactions: Sandhog308
newer gen chassis is coming with modular
handguards like AI obsession and at-x

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Hi,

The irony of calling something mall ninja bs and tacticool yet stating the "fight my way to rifle" situation as a reason for pistol/shotguns, lololololol

Bet you in less than 5% of shootings does anyone ever "fight way to rifle" yet that is not depicted as mall ninja BS or tacticool shit???

Sincerely,
Theis

They do move the bipod attachment point closer to the bore while still being rigid, as opposed to being blocky and tall in the traditional configuration where all the support material is at 6 oclock. Much more comfy in the hand as well. Mounting accessories it the other obvious one.

They do move the bipod attachment point closer to the bore while still being rigid, as opposed to being blocky and tall in the traditional configuration where all the support material is at 6 oclock. Much more comfy in the hand as well. Mounting accessories it the other obvious one.
Nailed it.

Where we fightin too? Count me in, especially if it’s to the mall. Everyone can ride with me in the mall crawler. Well at least 5 in the cab anyway

• Haha
Reactions: lash
1619799324611.png

" In my opinion, handguns and shotguns only exist so you can fight your way to a rifle..."
His name was David Boren, his name was david boren. In project dumbass you have no name, but after you fight your way to a rifle, your name is david boren.

• Haha
Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Hi,

The irony of calling something mall ninja bs and tacticool yet stating the "fight my way to rifle" situation as a reason for pistol/shotguns, lololololol

Bet you in less than 5% of shootings does anyone ever "fight way to rifle" yet that is not depicted as mall ninja BS or tacticool shit???

Sincerely,
Theis
just quoting for emphasis

I wish they were more common...but, then again, my rifle life in adulthood start with ARs of various sorts.

"Whatever you do, don't let anything touch the barrel...it'll fuck up the harmonics!"
"Yeah...so...why tf don't you enclose/shield the barrel to keep things from touching it?"
"Well, it's just that I prefer going through the hassle of barrel specific stock inlets to have inferior ergonomics."

Doesn't seem like a hard concept, does it? ;-)

Keeps the hands off the barrel when doing positional shooting.

Hi,

Sincerely,
Theis
Pretty sure you are at least 4.9999% too high here.

Reactions: deersniper
Pretty sure you are at least 4.9999% too high here.

Hi,

Well I was giving the benefit of the doubt to account for all the times it happens in video games too, lolol.

I was forced to stay at the Waldorf the night before I typed that and not a Holiday Inn......so my insight was not tuned properly.

Sincerely,
Theis

Pretty much nobody ever has to use a pistol or shotgun to fight their way to a rifle. That is correct. Most people never have to use ANY sort of firearm for self protection... ever, at any point in their lives. But firearm related self defense statistics hardly have anything to do with the merits of enclosed handguards on bolt rifles.

I think ThomasBeckett nailed it, and I can live with the "operator as fuck" explanation.

Hi,

Well I was giving the benefit of the doubt to account for all the times it happens in video games too, lolol.

I was forced to stay at the Waldorf the night before I typed that and not a Holiday Inn......so my insight was not tuned properly.

Sincerely,
Theis
The only guy I actually know who has talked about fighting his way to his rifle with his handgun displays the cognitive dissonance of carrying a 44 special single action revolver.

Hi,

Sincerely,
Theis
Which car did you pick to drive?
I think the Huracán LP 610-4 Spyder is probably the most popular but the 911 GT3 drives so much better on those scenic roads they take you to 😜

Sigh... "It's not practical for me, hence, it shouldn't exist" argument. 🤦🏾‍♂️
Au contraire, I care not what others do. I was honestly wondering the purpose of the enclosed handguard, and have since seen its practical application in various shooting positions. Mirage mitigation also makes sense.

I, personally, will always consider excess rail space mall-ninja AF. All those tacti-cool acessories people put on their guns in an effort to just fill the available real estate is unnecessary bulk/weight. The rails, themselves, are often just unnecesary bulk/weight. ARCA and MLOK rails have reduced some of this bulk/weight... but having empty mounting space on top of the barrel seemed useless, excess, and wasted to me. Why even put material there, at all?

A place to put the hand. Mirage mitigation. And, for the few that actually have the necessary optical accessories... nightvision/thermal capabilities. Operator as fuck.

Au contraire, I care not what others do. I was honestly wondering the purpose of the enclosed handguard, and have since seen its practical application in various shooting positions. Mirage mitigation also makes sense.

I, personally, will always consider excess rail space mall-ninja AF. All those tacti-cool acessories people put on their guns in an effort to just fill the available real estate is unnecessary bulk/weight. The rails, themselves, are often just unnecesary bulk/weight. ARCA and MLOK rails have reduced some of this bulk/weight... but having empty mounting space on top of the barrel seemed useless, excess, and wasted to me. Why even put material there, at all?

A place to put the hand. Mirage mitigation. And, for the few that actually have the necessary optical accessories... nightvision/thermal capabilities. Operator as fuck.
Good thread man. So you don't care what others do except enough to think about it, start a thread about it, argue about it and decide that, despite responses, you will condemn them for your preconceived notions. Seems time to use your mental pistol and fight back to a place where you can reason a bit better.

Confused. You started this thread to talk about XYZ. Then ridicule the purpose, or none thereof. So which one is it?

In the end, why does it matter? People can and should be able to put whatever they want on their firearms.

I never understood the mall ninja, operator, etc view of things. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Last edited:
What's with all the full/complete/closed at the top handguards on bolt rifle stocks these days?

There's just no way nightvision/thermals are popular enough in the civilian market to warrant such a high number of these handguards.

I understand the merits of bipods that attach above the axis of the bore, but they don't require a full 12 o'clock picatinny rail to install. And, most of the full handguards I seen posted here do NOT have such a bipod anyways... seems everyone uses an Atlas or just mounts the rifle on a tripod with an Anvil head. Which, also, doesn't require a full 12 o'clock picatinny rail.

Is it mall-ninja BS?

Or the stock needs a forearm, anyways, so let's bolt on this tube?

Wait most people don't shoot at night?

• Wow
Reactions: stefan73
Which car did you pick to drive?
I think the Huracán LP 610-4 Spyder is probably the most popular but the 911 GT3 drives so much better on those scenic roads they take you to 😜

Hi,

Seriously!!!!!???

Are you a troglodyte or something less evolved than that??

Who drives themselves.....................As if!!!!!!!!!!!

Next you will be posting that you carry your own rifle to the firing position and drink Kool-Aid instead of warmed Earl Grey tea.... lololol

Sincerely,
Theis

Who doesn't shoot at night out of the laundry room window to the displeasure of the inlaws after a few beers with .308 subs on a suppressed rifle with a clipon????

Commies, that's who!!!!
I do it out the bedroom window. Wife is sometimes a bit peeved at the wakeup, but one less coyote to menace her fur babies is worth it to her.

Reactions: stefan73
20201223_013242.jpg
Pics or it didn't happen!!!!
I'm not very good at getting pictures while trying to mess with my Luna on my 100 yard steel. My neighbors probably wonder what that hitting steel sound is late at night and those 190grn SMK's and 208 AMAX's sure do ring the steel!

I do it out the bedroom window. Wife is sometimes a bit peeved at the wakeup, but one less coyote to menace her fur babies is worth it to her.
I had fun with my 14! I pie'd the corner and plugged a fox that no kidding had a roosters tail in its mouth! It was textbook CQB night ops but that was with the .22. Before the thermal and night vision I had lost about 3/4 of my flock to predators. My neighbor is very happy about me reducing the pred population.
20210326_053539.jpg

Reactions: deersniper
Confused. You started this thread to talk about XYZ. Then ridicule the purpose, or none thereof. So which one is it?

In the end, why does it matter? People can and should be able to put whatever they want on their firearms.

I never understood the mall ninja, operator, etc view of things. 🤷🏾‍♂️
I remember the original "mall-ninja" thread on glocktalk or ar15.com, whatever it was... some literal mall cop duct taping bulletproof plates to his chest because the shopping mall wouldn't issue a vest to him... anyways, it became the definition of using useless bullshit for the sake of having tactical/operator equipment. Did dude have any immediate need for bulletproof plates? No. But fear and ignorance led the fool to tape them to his chest... not unlike half the accessories I see on a lot of rifles these days.

When I was in the infantry, I stripped everything off my rifle and vest. Literally everything that wasn't required by SOP... I even drilled the rivets to the KAC handguard and took the heat shield out of it... didn't have a vertical foregrip... only attached the stupid IR laser at night.. later I took the piece of shit Elcan off my SAW, and the bipod, and the heat shield... when you actually have to pack that shit around all day, every ounce matters, and you get rid every stupid fucking thing that can snag on a seat belt or hit the up-armor plating on the 200# hmmwv door...

Hey, been there done that. Sand Hill was my first home. I appreciate your service. I get what you're saying.

20+ years with Uncle Sam's Army and I'm still mentally sane, for now.😆

I remember the original "mall-ninja" thread on glocktalk or ar15.com, whatever it was... some literal mall cop duct taping bulletproof plates to his chest because the shopping mall wouldn't issue a vest to him... anyways, it became the definition of using useless bullshit for the sake of having tactical/operator equipment. Did dude have any immediate need for bulletproof plates? No. But fear and ignorance led the fool to tape them to his chest... not unlike half the accessories I see on a lot of rifles these days.

When I was in the infantry, I stripped everything off my rifle and vest. Literally everything that wasn't required by SOP... I even drilled the rivets to the KAC handguard and took the heat shield out of it... didn't have a vertical foregrip... only attached the stupid IR laser at night.. later I took the piece of shit Elcan off my SAW, and the bipod, and the heat shield... when you actually have to pack that shit around all day, every ounce matters, and you get rid every stupid fucking thing that can snag on a seat belt or hit the up-armor plating on the 200# hmmwv door...

Hmmmw? Wtf is this 2005 lol?