• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can someone ID this artillery please?

wjwill

Off road Junkie
Minuteman
Supporter+
Nov 28, 2007
East KY and Georgia
I think this picture looks bad ass and not sure what kind on artillery that is.

2ppx4wz.jpg

Re: Can someone ID this artillery please?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like an NLOS
NLOS-CAugust2003.jpg
</div></div>

Jebus, look at the size of that "thing". Is that something that is fired at an object, or is that something that explodes over an area?

That bullet!? looks to be as big as a man from nuts to neck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like an NLOS
NLOS-CAugust2003.jpg
</div></div>

The first picture is towed, not self propelled.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ACK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M198 Howitzer

OEF%20Jan31_2005%20Show%20of%20Force%20Artillery-35.jpg

One more
OEF%20Jan31_2005%20Show%20of%20Force%20Artillery-86.jpg

Wiki info </div></div>

Does holding your ears realy do anything or is it just instinct?

I wonder if anyone has engraved "Front Towards Enemy" on the muzzle brake?
grin.gif

My father once told me that seeing the rounds as they left a 16 inch gun was easy when one was circling in a Higgins boat waiting to go ashore and they were shooting 'em over your head.

Like a 3000fps Volkswagen.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sightline</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My father once told me that seeing the rounds as they left a 16 inch gun was easy when one was circling in a Higgins boat waiting to go ashore and they were shooting 'em over your head.

</div></div>

Seeing the recieving end of Firepower like that will drop your jaw ... watch things just ... "disappear"

M198 Replacement; the M777

m777.jpg

"The Ultralightweight Field Howitzer (UFH), designated M777 in the USA, was selected in 1997 by a joint US Army / Marine Corps initiative to replace the existing inventory of M198 155mm towed howitzers. The first of five EMD systems was delivered in June 2000. The US Marine Corps is to procure 380 systems and the US Army 273 systems. A low-rate initial production (LRIP) contract for 94 systems was awarded in November 2002."

Rest of article

m777s are neat. M198 aren't bad either.

They're not too loud when you're pulling the cord, its only loud when the other guns on the line are going off (brakes).

If you're standing behind them you can see the round leave the barrel every time. It's almost surreal the first few times, and if its clear you can follow it pretty high in the sky.

F Battery 7th FA 25th ID in Khowst, Afghanistan winter of 2004-2005. And yes it is an M198 shooting HE rounds with charge 7 white bags.

I got 10 too LOL. I remember working out by the test site in Nevada by Area 51. Crazy stuff out there. Always things going off and planes flying over. Ground would just shake

Does holding your ears realy do anything or is it just instinct?

I got to pull the lanyard on one and as someone said, from the side of the gun it's not terrible. However, we ended up crashing for a few weeks in a camp where the only room for us was 50m in FRONT of a 3 gun line of Triple-7's. There was NOTHING that helped with the fucking noise when you're on that side of it.

Years ago, there was a funny story that came out of Lebanon. The Druz and Christian militias often had artillery duels where they woul lob a couple of shells at each other. This was when the U.S. Marines were near Beirut. One of the Druz pieces had bad aim, and the round ended up too close for the comfort of the Marines. The Missouri was off the coast, and the Marines back tracked where the round came from, then radioed the position to the Missouri. The Missouri sent a 16 inch shell to the Druz position. Shortly afterwards, the Marines got a rather frantic call from the Druz position saying something to the effect of "Geezus, we are really sorry for our bad aim, please forgive us, and rest assured it won't happen again".

I have no idea if it was a true story, or just an urban legend, but it sure got a laugh out of me. "I'll see your measly 105 round, and raise you a 16 inch shell. 'Ya wanna raise, call, or fold?"

Funny story from one of my Buds...he was in one of the Missouri's turrets when doing a fire exercise. The elevator for the shell is across the turret from the breech of the gun. To move it across your "parbuckle" it with a rope. The crew was pulling the rope to spin the shell across when it caught on a seam and tipped and fell over with a clatter. He looked around and the rest of the crew had their fingers in their ears in case it went off. Lots of luck stopping that noise in that turret.