• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can someone recommend a guide and cleaning rod...

Re: Can someone recommend a guide and cleaning rod...

Dewey Rod/Guide

If you watch any of the "mail call monday" videos, watch video #9. It covers rifle cleaning along with good cleaning equipment options.

For a bore guide, I recommend one made by Mike Lucas, Mike will need to know the rod you are going to use before he makes it.

What do you mean what rod I am going to use? Do you mean length? I am slightly confused here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SilentStalkr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you mean what rod I am going to use? Do you mean length? I am slightly confused here. </div></div>

Which brand and model - Dewey, Tipton, etc.

I second the recommendation for the Mike Lucas guide for a TRG - I just received mine a few weeks ago from the October run.

I personally like the Tipton carbon fiber model. Unfortunately they don't make a 30" model which would have been the perfect length for my 20" TRG, so 36" has to make do. I use a Montana X-Treme brass 30 caliber/8mm jag with Butch's Twill cleaning patches.

Mike makes his bore guides specify to different type of rods, Dewey and tipton rods are not the same. When you order a bore guide from Mike, you need to tell him what sort of action it is, what caliber it is and what rod you will be using.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SilentStalkr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How likely is it you could damage anything using a decent rod and guide? </div></div> Using average intellect, minimal common sense, and a basic understanding on how/when to clean a rifle, not very likely. Using a bore guide is a great idea, of course opinions vary...........

The Lucas guide is great.Another good one is the one Sinclair makes and sells.The Dewey coated rod is the one I use.You will see Dewey rods at matches probably more than any other. Lightman

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a bore guide, I recommend one made by Mike Lucas, Mike will need to know the rod you are going to use before he makes it. </div></div>

I got two on order with Mike in his November production.

I have had good luck with my Possum Hollow bore guide. I use them in my AR s and also in my bolt guns. The guides are weapon-specific and their web site leaves a bit to be desired. That said it's a good product.

The Dewey rod is tough to beat, but I also have a carbon fiber Tipton that I keep in my drag bag.

+1 on the tipton carbon fiber rod and lucas bore guide

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaymon5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the tipton carbon fiber rod and lucas bore guide </div></div>

+2

I tried to order from Mike early in the year, but he was on an extended vacation.

So, I orderd a bore guide from Neil Jones custom products for a Savage Palma rifle. It is nice, as he specs a solvent port/ rear guide to the diameter of your cleaning rod so that it has a nice fit.

Yet another viable option.

Check your tipton carbon rod...The ones I had were crooked...I have all deweys now and are pretty dang good...I would also like to try a bore tech proof positive rod because a false positive is annoying

Oh I forgot to add that I also use a Lucas bore guide

Yeah, I went ahead and got in touch with Mr. Lucas and am on the order for November. I think I am going with a Tipton CF cleaning rod to. 44"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike Lucas and either the Dewey, Tipton or Bore Tech and you'll be GTG. </div></div>

Thumbs up on everything but the BT rod. The coating turned loose on mine after only a short while in use and they did not warranty.

If you go with that tipton carbon rod roll it on a flat work bench first...if its even the slightest not true get another or exchange it for a dewey or something solid. Even a carbon rod can damage the bore if the particulates carried on it rub the inside of the bore and there is not a great deal of tolerance even with a good rod guide going 20+ inches of bore... all my large long rods were crooked as the devils dick and my 22cal rod snapped when I let a buddy use on his 22-250...Not a lot of pressure was involved he just pierced the patch to close to center and pushed forward at a slight angle then POP! right at the handle...Sent it to battenfield asking them to fix it and they said sorry its more than a year old and out of warranty but you can buy a new one! I said thanks but no thanks Ill buy something else this time...

dewy guides and rods here.

they are very versatile.

for the bigger ones you can buy an adapter to clean shotguns

I had a Dewey rod and now have a Tipton. There is no comparison. They aren't even close. The Tipton is 10x the rod that the Dewey is.

That said, I used my Dewey cleaning my muzzle loader, and while I should have bought a bigger rod, I didn't and ended up bending it. That's when I got the Tipton. The handle is better, the rod doesn't bend, the coating doesn't flake off. It's just a lot better rod all the way around. I would never go back.

Tipton rods all the way. DEWEY jags and brushes. Possom Hollow bore guides, Brownells cotton patches. Tried almost all of em and this is what I ended up with.

Dewey is a small business in CT that makes their products in the USA.

Tipton, I'm not so certain where their stuff is made.

This is important to me only as long as the American product is good quality. I'm very happy with my Dewey 30 cal rods. The coating is solid. I wont hesitate to buy more of those.

Pistol caliber the coating is not so solid. I prefer the Dewey solid brass rod for pistol.

I've been using the Dewey rods for several yrs now with no problems. Also been using the Lucas guides. If you can use the same rod for several calibers or guns, just order the guide without the insert since the insert is determined by rod diameter.

For the best available, you want a Lucas bore guide and an Ivy rod. Both are custom made to your specifications in the USA and support the shooting sports.

Lucas guide and Tipton rod, the only way togo!! Both well worth the money.

I've been very happy with my Dewey rod. There may be something better but I've never felt the need to search.

I use a Tipton carbon fiber rod and a universal bore guide. Works well for what I do.

My 30 cal 44in Dewey isn't long enough,Anybody else think a longer one would make it easier,It works but sure would be nice to be 2-4 in longer.

Rob
grin.gif

I have had 2 different Tipton carbon fiber cleaning rods and they both either broke, the tips pulled off or loosened up enough to move off center and become useless. They are affordable, but they do not last. I really like the Bore-Tech. Beefy, good bearings in the handle and seem like they will last a lifetime.
JP Enterprises makes an excellent bore guide. I have one each of the .223 and .308 and love them. Aluminum, anodized, multiple rubber seals... Awesome pieces for the money.

How much does the Mike Lucas bore guide cost? I am going to order it and emailed him to find out how. Also can you just use a different size insert if using a .22 rod and a .40 rod or do I need to separate guides?

Sinclair guide and a Dewey rod