• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Can someone school me on USO spotters?

Lofty

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2008
Lenexa KS
I won a certificate for $1250 towards any USO scope.

I am in need of a good spotter and was considering a Leupold under the recommendation of a few people. However, considering this gift certificate I was looking at USOs spotting scope. From what little I've read, I haven't heard many good remarks about them though.

So I was thinking, if I sold the USO certificate, I could probably get around $900. That would leave me needing around $700 more out of pocket for a loopy, or around $600 more for a Vortex Razor.

So the question is, are either of those scopes worth that much more than the USO?

Are people's disappointment with the USO spotter just because they're comparing it to the quality reputation of USOs rifle scopes?

I guess I'm asking is a free USO spotter better than coming up with $700 more dollars for a loopy?

Re: Can someone school me on USO spotters?

I had a USO spotter for a while. Yes compared to their scopes it wasn't that clear. Optically almost any other high quality spotter will outperform it. To adjust the focus you had to work the objective lens up front. It seemed too long for me. About the only thing it has going for it is the ability to get which ever ranging reticle that USO has. Mine was the MOA. At the time this was the only scope I could find with a MOA reticle. Since then I have gotten a Vortex HD with their MOA reticle.
Guys will say that its a field scope, but I still want a clear view of whatever I'm looking at. I really wish they would make a high quality spotting scope comparable to Vortex and Kowa's.

Let me state I really like USO scopes and have a good many of them. The USO spotter, however, is poor in my opinion. I tried to like mine and have had two....both were not as clear as the scopes I own. Focus adjustment is a PITA at best. You will be much happier with a real spotting scope.

If you decide to sell your certificate pm me, I am interested.

Lofty,

Our field observation scope was designed for tough rugged conditions. It was made with Marines in mind, to be taken out beaten up and have eye relief for use while wearing a gas mask. IMO it should not be compared to other traditional spotting scopes. I think if your looking for a traditional spotter get your money worth out of the cert and get something you can use for your purpose.
Jason

The Razor is absolutely awesome. I use it to spot at comps and classes at K&M and it is extremely nice. I would sell the cert and get the Vortex.

Now with that being said, this is nothing against USO and their scopes however as Jason pointed out the USO is not a "traditional" type of spotting scope.

Don't like the thick stadia, forward parallax adjustment ring, and magnification ring my USO spotter with GAP reticle, love everything on my Leupold Mk 4 spotter w/P4 ret
Don't like the eye relief, and don't really care for the Army-style round mildots on my Leupold Mk 4 4.5-14, absolutely love everything my USO TPal with Horus ret.
I assume your gift cert. is gone by now.