• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Can the bushnell elite 6500 be beat for the price?

Tactical_Hunter

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2012
WNC
I have recently starting getting more serious with my lr shooting, so I went and bought me a 700 varmint in 308 a couple weeks ago. The first thing I did was ordered a nightforce 20 moa mount to try to get started in the right direction. I'm now looking for a scope in the $700 or less range, i want it to be about 15-24 power on the high side, spans preferably side focus. I've found a Bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16x50 for $650. Is that the scope I need? Or is there a better option for me. Thanks

Weaver makes a tactical mil , mil now worth looking at , I have had 4 Bushnell Elites so far and found it to be a lot for the money.SWFA has a nice one in that range also.

I have been looking at those as well, it is such a heard decision. I would also like to find info on bushnell's a recticle thicknesses.

For that price or just a little bit more (possibly even less if you find one used), you can get into the Weaver, as mentioned, or the Bushnell Tactical Elites which are FFP mil/mil. The 6500 scopes are great, but the newer tactical models have much better features for the money and the glass is pretty good, too. Spend just a hundred dollars more than you think you can and the payoffs will be huge, in my opinion.

I had a parallax adjustment knob come off of a 6500 (it was glued on). Bushnell fixed it (for a fee). Vortex would get my money at that price point.

Consider the new Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16 scopes. Around $560 retail and comes with good features for a SFP scope.

I'd like to get one of the ss 3-15 scopes, but I've never used a mil scope and I'm unsure if I will like it or not. I have also not seen many comments on the clarity of the 3-15. The things I want most in the scope is clarity and a good generous eye box.
(Also any Labor Day sales that would put a scope in my price range would be greatly appreciated)

Last edited:
I've got the SS 3-15 and I think the glass is just as good as my Bushnell elite. The SS is an ugly little thing but I'm beginning to love that scope.

I've got the SS 3-15 and I think the glass is just as good as my Bushnell elite. The SS is an ugly little thing but I'm beginning to love that scope.

That kind of changes things for me, if I can get the same quality glass and also get better turrets and a better recticle then I'm all for that. My only problems that I've never seen a ss first hand or got to handle one. I would also deffinatley have to practice with the mil system because I have no idea how to work it.

Spend slightly more and get a Bushnell G2DMR 3.5-21x50 or if illumination is a requirement and for some of the best glass available under $2,000 get the SWFA SS HD 5-20x50. Either of the scopes would serve your needs for very long time.

The limit of $700 is very firm, unless I can find a very good deal on something. Precision308, I'm hoping that's gonna be what happens because I'm really starting to lean on the ss 3-15.

Well after looking at all the scopes in the previous post I have decided to go with a viper pst 6-24x50 mrad sfp. I believe it has all the options that will make me happy in the price range.

The limit of $700 is very firm, unless I can find a very good deal on something. Precision308, I'm hoping that's gonna be what happens because I'm really starting to lean on the ss 3-15.
I paid $700 for my Vortex FFP PST 4-16X50 from Spot Optics.

I havent seen the SS 3-15 personally but I have a SS 5-20 and its built like a TANK!! Pretty sure you could hammer nails with it. I really like dealing with SWFA and had great performance from my 5-20.

May want to look into the Weaver Super Slam 4-20x50. Some of them have a $100 rebate, depending on reticle. Have a couple of them, very nice scopes, track well and glass is very good. Longest I've shot with mine was on a 600 yd range and scope did OK for that distance on a 7x57 Ruger rifle with standard mounts. Chuckle, should be made by same Japanese company that makes the Bushnell Elites.

I have been looking at those as well, it is such a heard decision. I would also like to find info on bushnell's a recticle thicknesses.

My Elite 3200s both have rather heavy reticles, really my only complaint with the scopes...
Okay for big targets, not so good for trying to get every shot into one hole.