• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can we talk, discuss, vent public schooling right now?

LaraCroft

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2020
    Because, holy crap. I spent five months with my child up my ass and in my shadow 24/7. Her first official in person day on a hybrid schedule was today. That was nice finally having a day to do what I needed to do the way I needed to do it without all the extra drama. She was super excited to go. I honestly can't wait to hear how the day went.... As I sit in line with my ass of my vehicle almost hanging out in the road as people line up behind me on the main road trying to come into the parking lot when us parents were told to get here at exactly 3:15 p.m. to start picking up our children and here it is 3:32 p.m. and it's just now starting. I know I know that everything has things iron out. I've worked in the schools for many years. But I don't like my ass end hanging out near the main road with buses and everything flying by. And let me tell you, I'm here looking at everyone in front of me and there's an awful lot of vehicles farther up in the line that are socially distanced from each other that if they just scooched up just a hair bit these four people behind me could probably get off the main road. I'm not so much disappointed in the school schedule (it is a good school, they are awesome and doing their best, really) as I am some of humanity right now. Like the people in the line who are more than a car length away from each other.

Because, holy crap. I spent five months with my child up my ass and in my shadow 24/7. Her first official in person day on a hybrid schedule was today. That was nice finally having a day to do what I needed to do the way I needed to do it without all the extra drama. She was super excited to go. I honestly can't wait to hear how the day went.... As I sit in line with my ass of my vehicle almost hanging out in the road as people line up behind me on the main road trying to come into the parking lot when us parents were told to get here at exactly 3:15 p.m. to start picking up our children and here it is 3:32 p.m. and it's just now starting. I know I know that everything has things iron out. I've worked in the schools for many years. But I don't like my ass end hanging out near the main road with buses and everything flying by. And let me tell you, I'm here looking at everyone in front of me and there's an awful lot of vehicles farther up in the line that are socially distanced from each other that if they just scooched up just a hair bit these four people behind me could probably get off the main road. I'm not so much disappointed in the school schedule (it is a good school, they are awesome and doing their best, really) as I am some of humanity right now. Like the people in the line who are more than a car length away from each other.
    Were they being good little Automatons and wearing their masks inside their cars ? :unsure: :rolleyes:

Parents at our school, when we had in person learning, started lining up around 1:30 to pick up kids. School let out at 4:05. I’m not joking, 2 and a half hours early so they could be first.
    I showed up at 4:30 and breezed through the pick up area, as all the other kids were gone. “I was late? Tomorrow you can walk home...”

there's an awful lot of vehicles farther up in the line that are socially distanced from each other that if they just scooched up just a hair bit these four people behind me could probably get off the main road. Like the people in the line who are more than a car length away from each other.

tomorrow bring a reflective vest, a whistle, and some orange wands and start directing traffic in the parking lot to "tighten" things up... At least its a way to kill time... LOL

Put some vodka and cranberry in one of these. Perfect cover.
    41FtslwU3sL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

You ain't like them other girls, is you?

Apparently not. Lol

I love my daughter, I really do. But... her energy level and needs demands is NOT on the same level as mine. She wakes up ready to go and doesn't stop talking until she passes out from sleep.. which even then, she fights like a viking shield maiden.
    Then, the baby bull syndrome. She runs everywhere instead of walking, even in the house, and has weird perception skills. She will spot a bug or a snake with amazing precision, but cannot find the shoe in front of her face or the wall she just ran into. She is 9-years-old, over 4'6" tall, and like 80 lbs. She is a beast. So when she decides to run into you, you feel it.

I'm tired.

Then, the baby bull syndrome. She runs everywhere instead of walking, even in the house, and has weird perception skills. She will spot a bug or a snake with amazing precision, but cannot find the shoe in front of her face or the wall she just ran into.
    This just reinforces my perception that children and cats are extremely similar to each other. One of my cats tends to just barrel his way around as he pleases (he once came sprinting into the room and ran right into an empty trash can he had knocked over a moment prior, tipping it back upright and trapping himself inside), and cat vision works exactly as you describe: Amazing long-range vision that can pick out a fly from ten feet, not so good close-up (it's what whiskers are for).

This just reinforces my perception that children and cats are extremely similar to each other. One of my cats tends to just barrel his way around as he pleases (he once came sprinting into the room and ran right into an empty trash can he had knocked over a moment prior, tipping it back upright and trapping himself inside), and cat vision works exactly as you describe: Amazing long-range vision that can pick out a fly from ten feet, not so good close-up (it's what whiskers are for).
    Children and pets(generally speaking) are much more similar than I (and most other people) ever thought, at least up to my older sons age. He’s 3 1/2 now and the similarities are still pretty strong. I also have a 16yo stepdaughter and can still see some vague similarities though

Hey wait I want reparations, I was never picked up by my parents either one.
    In all fairness my mother and I got our driver's license in the same year.
    Glad to see your kid is back in school.

Reactions: LaraCroft
    @LaraCroft - I have one of those.
    she is 8 yrs old, 53”and 70 lbs.
    eats me out of house and home.

Piles of energy. A bike, skateboard, scooter, and pogo stick help. Also running or yoga every AM.
    kid can watch TV and play Minecraft on her tablet at the same time, but cannot follow 3 step directions....

Children and pets(generally speaking) are much more similar than I (and most other people) ever thought, at least up to my older sons age. He’s 3 1/2 now and the similarities are still pretty strong. I also have a 16yo stepdaughter and can still see some vague similarities though
    No kids here, but my dog was better than any neighborhood child: Smarter (check), friendlier (check), better behaved (gold star check), cleaner (check), quieter (check) .

Having raised a daughter, and now having her 21 and 24 y/o offspring living with us, I can tell you that the investment pays off in the long run.

And, yes; it's a long run, very long...

The more you put in, the more you get back out.

Big time!

While all this was going on, my Wife and I were also running a Scout troop.

Somehow, seeing the look on other parents' faces when they see that there's someone else willing to pitch in with them makes a lot of it worth it. We kept that up from the mid 1970's to the mid 2000's. There was an element of sacrifice, but as it became a lifestyle, and as the program finally went co-ed, it just kept getting better. Only age and health could finally bring us to end it.

Some, you just can't reach, but when yours is one of the many, it seems that those few never seem to include your own.

Somebody once tried to convince me that there was no such thing as a bad kid, just bad parents. They were very wrong; a typical Liberal copout.

Greg

Last edited:
    While all this was going on, my Wife and I were also running a Scout troop.

Somehow, seeing the look on other parents' faces when they see that there's someone else willing to pitch in with them makes a lot of it worth it. We kept that up from the mid 1970's to the mid 2000's. There was an element of sacrifice, but as it became a lifestyle, and as the program finally went co-ed, it just kept getting better. Only age and health could finally bring us to end it.

Greg

We are in scouts, and she thrives! We were down since March with everything going on, but in-person things are finally starting again Saturday. We are meeting at a local state park for some lunch and badge activities.
    I don't lead but I volunteer and help when I can. I have an unpredictable (or couple) health issues that make attending priority planned things an issue if I am the adult being counted on. 😕
    Most of the girls in the group are super helpful, but some not so much. Some, I can kinda see where maybe it is learned from the parents, others, definitely the kid is just like that. Same for reverse scenario.

And as for busy, child loves her scooter! And trampoline! But also destroying my livingroom...

I just want to know when to expect my prorated refund in regards to the real estate taxes I paid for the school district that wasn't in session for 6+ months of the year.
    I actually heard something tonight about another stimulus check coming soon...

• Angry
    Reactions: 1moaoff and The D
    I just want to know when to expect my prorated refund in regards to the real estate taxes I paid for the school district that wasn't in session for 6+ months of the year.
    I don't know about where you are, but the teachers that I have talked to- and my wife is one- are working harder remotely than they were face to face...

I actually heard something tonight about another stimulus check coming soon...
    No, no, no. That’s a forward for another worthless loan that someone, somehow gave to the feds. He’s talking about getting a tax break to keep some of the wealth he’s created

Children are indeed like dogs and need to be trained as such. As soon as they start crawling around getting into shit. No means No!
    If your kids are disrespectful and out of control, you fucked up a long time ago.

I'm just sitting here patting myself on the back that both mine and my wife's kids are all grown and out of public schools, so now we just get to kick back and listen to them bitch about the drama of dealing with their own kids' schools.

And we laugh, and laugh, and laugh.....

100% agree though, pull the fuck up to the car in front of you, fucking assholes.

We are in scouts, and she thrives! We were down since March with everything going on, but in-person things are finally starting again Saturday. We are meeting at a local state park for some lunch and badge activities.
    I don't lead but I volunteer and help when I can. I have an unpredictable (or couple) health issues that make attending priority planned things an issue if I am the adult being counted on. 😕
    Most of the girls in the group are super helpful, but some not so much. Some, I can kinda see where maybe it is learned from the parents, others, definitely the kid is just like that. Same for reverse scenario.

And as for busy, child loves her scooter! And trampoline! But also destroying my living room...

I had to take over a Troop and run it without any Troop committee, or any Assistant Scoutmasters. My predecessor had terminal cancer. It was me, or it was nothing. I was young married, with a five y/o Daughter. The troop was small, very mixed race, and about 60% single parent families. I had been a Scout/Cub myself for five years and an Explorer for another three, a Drafteee Marine for two, and I fell back on my training.

Scouting is(was) about leadership training and vocational training. That was in the 1950's and 1960's and I have no idea what it's about today. I wish it well, but I wouldn't go back today for the Papacy. I left in 2006 when my Wife's health got serious, and Scouting was listing heavily toward the liberal side. I just didn't belong there anymore. None of us did, we finished the Eagle training for the last two Scouts and folded the Venture Crew.

Sometime in the first few years (1972) as a Scoutmaster, I got drafted into be District Adult Leadership Training Chairman. Back then, the basic Scoutmaster course was called Cornerstone. I trained everyone I could entrap into it. But I was neglecting my Troop and still didn't have any adult help....; so...., I gave the senior boys the Scoutmaster training.

Things took off fast after that. We adopted the Troop Junior Leader's Council structure, and each leader had a specific portion of the overall program that was theirs as a personal responsibility. The national calendar endowed each issue of Scouting (for adults) and Boys Life (for the youth) with a coordinated program and schedule from top (National Jamboree), to bottom (troop campouts) with the things in between (District Camporees, Klondike Derbies,etc.) us to the individual District councils). It was all done by the book and all the books were coordinated ten ways to Sunday.

As a Scoutmaster, I no longer had to do all the planning, organizing, scheduling,. and followup. Each Boy leader had a special responsibility, and they all cooperated to make sure each one's goals got met. I was freed up to plot the year ahead, organize parent participation, and help introduce individual scout skills to those with the interests to learn them. The next time one would ask me to teach him that skill, I'd point out the boy I'd trained and tell him, hey, he knows how to do that, go get him to show you. And so on, and so on.

In the midst of this, we avoided the Scout store. Big money for mediocre gear. We built our own gear from my own library of Scout Handbooks and Scout Field Books going back to the 1940's. Think in terms of the archaic. Scout Staff, Scout Sheet (a strong cord), Scout Tarp, Blanket Rolls, Ely Packframe, Diamond Hitch, some surplus like Canteen, Compass, etc.; and we sometimes camped sub-zero.

Our Meetings were Thursday nights. We did this so packs for Monthly Troop Campout could be inspected before departure the next night, Friday. The other Thursdays, we emphasized skills trading. Any Patrol could go on a Patrol Campout IF 1) they had a parent along, and IF 2) I approved their menu. They had to have a written program for the weekend, and the adult was there to check things off and keep things to schedule.

You could never do that today with their paranoid, adults watching adults watching kids watching other kids arguing requirements.

Back then it was find a job, do it, own it, and pass it on. Your first personal responsibility was to train your replacement, so you could move up. Your group responsibility was to each other, to get everyone across that finish line, all in one piece. I don't even now if you could do that today.

My kids are Coast Guard Rescue Swimmers, Drug Interdiction Boarding Agents, Marines ,and Rangers. And Moms, and Nurses, and Special Ed Teachers, and Police Patrol Officers.

Life changes, and life goes on.

If you think inside the lines, the world is small. If you step outside, it becomes infinite.

Greg

Last edited:
    Well that same cat I mentioned is about the same as a toddler. He's small (relatively speaking 'cause he's a big boy), pudgy (the vet outright told him "Boy, you are FAT."), and very loud. Screams at you, sulks when he doesn't get his way, wants to be the center of attention. The difference is he craps in a box and is easier to handle when he throws a tantrum.

Well that same cat I mentioned is about the same as a toddler. He's small (relatively speaking 'cause he's a big boy), pudgy (the vet outright told him "Boy, you are FAT."), and very loud. Screams at you, sulks when he doesn't get his way, wants to be the center of attention. The difference is he craps in a box and is easier to handle when he throws a tantrum.

Sounds like a very similar situation I have. My kids and cats are very similar in their relation to each other and their animal siblings. Both sets can be very sweet/cuddly, but they can also be very annoying. They can be just as frustrating as each other, just in completely opposite ways

Speaking of cats... I have 3 of those, too... and boy, do I have some stories about them I will have to come back and write about when kid goes to bed...

Reactions: The D
    Speaking of cats... I have 3 of those, too... and boy, do I have some stories about them I will have to come back and write about when kid goes to bed...
    Ours are strictly house cats so they’re relatively drama free. Just lazy, worthless warmth seekers

Last spring our school didnt do much. Posted some scanned in workbook pages and assigned some stuff.

When it started 2 weeks ago, they taught the entire day remotely. With some help on “work time” and of course homework.

Now we are in person.
    Thank the Lord.

Children are indeed like dogs and need to be trained as such. As soon as they start crawling around getting into shit. No means No!
    If your kids are disrespectful and out of control, you fucked up a long time ago.
    I have several young families by me. I don't know the political leanings of two of them; but I can wager a guess. I used to have a discussion with my father before he passed that one family's kids are hellions. In fact, I named one of them SayTaan at that time. He was I believe maybe 3 years old at the time I moved in and I noticed parents never enforced bounds. NO would be met by kid doing it. NO again...kid would do it. Then the NO or you'll loose desert happened. That struck me wrong in so many ways I had to vocalize this to Dad....using FOOD as a weapon to control your kid despite it being desert is, IMO, immoral. Take away his toys, TV, etc. you don't threaten to take away food.

Fast forward 5 years. Kid still doesn't listen and obey "NO" and parents yell at them too. Not a forceful "NO" like I would do with my dog, just a " YOU DON'T DO THAT YOU'LL LOSE YOUR DESERT AND YOUR TURTLE" then nothing happens. Bad parenting skills. Guess what political party THEY belong to.

The other parents are out playing with their kids, actively involved in play-time like baseball, basketball, etc. I've only seen ONE time where one of the other 4 families didn't get through to the kid and that was when I was walking the dog I was dog sitting and the dog did not like the kid yet he kept trying to pet it. His Mom got on his ass 3x, didn't scream at him like a 2 year old like the other parent, but was like on attempt #3 "I told you no, you need to get back in the house NOW if you don't think you can control yourself." And that was that.

So I called it right to my old man. Boundaries not enforced, kids will be F'd up by the time they are 7. Now the one is 10 and throws hissy fits all the time and the other one just flat out does what he wants while dad rides his ass for getting his scooter off their property line by one foot because he may catch COVID. Unreal. Feel sorry for the kids. All they do is get 20 minutes of outdoor "turtle" time or "scooter" time, then back to video games (though one of them reads about 4 books a week, but at the expense of no outdoor activity. Not developing any "life skills" that normal kids develop.

Ours are strictly house cats so they’re relatively drama free. Just lazy, worthless warmth seekers
    Mine are house cats. NOT drama free...
    I invite weird animals, or attract them. I dunno how...

Reactions: The D
    Mine are house cats. NOT drama free...
    I invite weird animals, or attract them. I dunno how...
    Does your man count as weird animal??? Pretty sure my wife would count me as that along with our pets.

Fyi, never had kids and never will... just the way it worked out....

Property taxes should now be refunded.

Don't let her date until she is 50....

I have several young families by me. I don't know the political leanings of two of them; but I can wager a guess. I used to have a discussion with my father before he passed that one family's kids are hellions. In fact, I named one of them SayTaan at that time. He was I believe maybe 3 years old at the time I moved in and I noticed parents never enforced bounds. NO would be met by kid doing it. NO again...kid would do it. Then the NO or you'll loose desert happened. That struck me wrong in so many ways I had to vocalize this to Dad....using FOOD as a weapon to control your kid despite it being desert is, IMO, immoral. Take away his toys, TV, etc. you don't threaten to take away food.

Fast forward 5 years. Kid still doesn't listen and obey "NO" and parents yell at them too. Not a forceful "NO" like I would do with my dog, just a " YOU DON'T DO THAT YOU'LL LOSE YOUR DESERT AND YOUR TURTLE" then nothing happens. Bad parenting skills. Guess what political party THEY belong to.

The other parents are out playing with their kids, actively involved in play-time like baseball, basketball, etc. I've only seen ONE time where one of the other 4 families didn't get through to the kid and that was when I was walking the dog I was dog sitting and the dog did not like the kid yet he kept trying to pet it. His Mom got on his ass 3x, didn't scream at him like a 2 year old like the other parent, but was like on attempt #3 "I told you no, you need to get back in the house NOW if you don't think you can control yourself." And that was that.

So I called it right to my old man. Boundaries not enforced, kids will be F'd up by the time they are 7. Now the one is 10 and throws hissy fits all the time and the other one just flat out does what he wants while dad rides his ass for getting his scooter off their property line by one foot because he may catch COVID. Unreal. Feel sorry for the kids. All they do is get 20 minutes of outdoor "turtle" time or "scooter" time, then back to video games (though one of them reads about 4 books a week, but at the expense of no outdoor activity. Not developing any "life skills" that normal kids develop.

My youngest son(now 34) will tell you he was scared of me. I NEVER spanked or used any kind of physical discipline. He just knew I meant what I said and there were consequences for for disobedience . Pretty damn simple.

Does your man count as weird animal??? Pretty sure my wife would count me as that along with our pets.
    I'm not saying anything on that one 🤣. He knows the answer.

So, for the cats. Let us start with Spot. A big white 17 pound mass of semi-long haired fluff. Lover all all things cozy. Quiet during the day. His idea of loving us is licking and biting our skin off. He will literally ignore us for hours, then come out of nowhere giving us all the love like we are giant house kitties. Will not take no for an answer. Remember when I said quiet? Two exceptions. Imagine a tall, long, cute beast of a cat being picked up to be snuggled. Sounds cozy, right? No. He is crying like a screaming baby getting its legs pulled off. Loves us so much he wants to lick our skin off, but doesn't want to be held.. NOW THE OTHER FUN THING!! He sits at the end of the bed and protects us from the mystery lights (aka, the occasional headlights on our residential road), which involves his 17-pound bowling ball ass pouncing across the bed and onto the wall. ALSO, he will do that AND/OR stroll through the house slowly with some toy with a bell, dragging it btw which we can totally hear, making a sad calling "merrooowwwrrr" sound like he is calling out the dead. We go fetch him, and he just drops the toy like we interrupted him. OR he is playing wild frantic chase with some invisible ghost and tries to get me to chase him downstairs. WTF. Quiet all day, but at 3am, this nonsense.

Then, there is Lester. An average 12 pound orange striped cat. Appears normal in looks. Frigging dumb. So so dumb. But he loves. Omg. I don't know where to begin. I will say, if he were feral, he would have lost his 9 lives in his first few months of life. I would find him stuck atop the stuff for the furnace duct work, and one time found him hanging from the ceiling of the unfinished basement by his tail... Another that gives kisses, but thankfully doesn't try to eat us. This one actually begs and cries to be picked up and carried. I have a species hooded sweatshirt for carrying pets that he loves to just sitand hangout in while I do things around the house. He snuggles down and watches everything, purring like crazy. Also, he has a lettuce addiction. And that's all I have to say about that...

And Shadow. 15 pounds of adorable. Except, we are pretty sure if she skipped 2 meals, she would eat us. No joke. A genuine concern. Girl has food issues, and gives us a nasty disapproving glare when not fed. Like, horror movie style...😳 On the positive note, when fed, she comes every day for snuggles. She comes every morning and at bed time for kisses on the head (wants us to kiss her), and lays down with us. She also takes turns with Spo sleeping with the kid every night. We just need to make sure to feed her 🤣

Oh, and I have a damn fish that sleeps upside down. That's fun. Every day. Checking to make sure it is still alive. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Well, enjoy it- in all likelihood, in-person classes are going to be cancelled for pre-college schooling like they have been for universities. A week long respite ain’t that bad lol

Well, enjoy it- in all likelihood, in-person classes are going to be cancelled for pre-college schooling like they have been for universities. A week long respite ain’t that bad lol
    I doubt they will be cancelled. Colleges have kids coming from everywhere who have been out partying ad ignoring social distancing rules. They just happen to be tested and positive at college (sadly spreading it, too). Most colleges and universities tested as kids came to campus.

Logic is not dictating COVID-19 responses in any way shape or form. This "pandemic" has killed 1.8 per 1000 infected with 80% of those deaths so far being people over 65 in bad health. With nearly 40% of that 80% in nursing homes.

Any more shut downs need to be fought. This is a political trojan horse. Not an emergency. Go outs side look around and take your mask off, we live in the same world as we did in 2002, 2009, 2018, 2019. The biggest problems we have are coming from an overreaching government, rich power hungry socialists, and their idiot goon squads.

Can we start by talking about the thousands of dollars in property and other taxes I pay each year to fund this bull crap but when I pay out of my own pocket to send my children to actually learn I can’t even write it off?

Can we talk about the school bus that comes to my home every day at 1500 blaring it’s horn until the welfare recipient renters wake up and walk out to get the free food it delivers while I still buy all my children’s food and go to work every day?

Don’t even get me started on the crap they “teach”.

People without kids pay property tax too. I bet you reaped benefits from public education.

Maybe you should "get started on the crap that they teach." With your school board.