• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can you be all three

Alphatreedog

Tier Potato
Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2017
    So a few buddies and family I've had conversation with on expertise . One aquaintence with no gag reflex who was Airborne managed to get assigned to Army helicopters for SF . A buddy that was Ranger and Mr. Trigget Finger , CQB and all around M4 Dialed and a family member , Recon Marine and Sniper . So as for the Airborne guy , yes he did this . The biggest ball washing , cock gobbling career climber I've ever met . More to the point . Do you believe it possible to be really Dialed/proficient in all three .
    I know without a doubt that if I run AR , up drills , reset drills , discipline/speed drills , it fucks up my pistol trigger manipulation . Precision rifle is an animal unto itself and I am not affected by either . What are your thoughts or experience . Trigger discipline is all the same is bullshit .

Learn to practice each correctly, practice a lot. When you think you have perfected each, practice some more.

Wow , serious question . Just wondering if it's possible . We have @TheGerman , Doc ,Marinepmi IIRC and I'm curious your thoughts on trigger manipulation vs different platforms .

Wow , serious question . Just wondering if it's possible . We have @TheGerman , Doc ,Marinepmi IIRC and I'm curious your thoughts on trigger manipulation vs different platforms .
    Well, now that we've isolated the question, the answer is yes. Im equally mediocre at all three. 🙃

Why the italics- is it a quote of someone else's words?

While I'm sure your buddy speaks and writes in English better than you, there are a lot of details missing from your story.

Airborne is a two week school, anyone get do it in the Army, does not mean he is a paratrooper.

Ranger school can be accomplished by anyone who can survive Ranger school, very few of those people are really Rangers serving in Ranger units.

Getting assigned to a helicopter unit happens to cooks and supply pukes all the time, to get assigned to a unit that supports SF guys is not that amazing.

Anybody can join the Marines and claim they were a recon/sniper or some such bullshit, they have about 22,000,000 recon/snipers on Facebook as we speak. I'm pretty sure "Recon/sniper" is code words for cook or supply pukes based on the shear number of them who exist after their one hitch in the USMC. We had 30 of them in my college classes back in the mid-1990's, not a one had a DD214. We also had a medically retired LTC who's dad and won the MOH in WWII and he took the time to weed liars out of our vets only study group.

Are you asking if a fucker can do all this shit? Be an admin puke in the army with jump wings and then work filing papers in a helicopter unit that gave an SF guy a ride to work, sure. Then get out and join the Marines, sure, idiots do that once in a while. Most people go from miserable jobs to easier jobs as they break their joints and tear their muscles apart in their career. So maybe you have the story backwards?

Well, I can only speak of the M4, M9, M26 and SAW. All different triggers for sure. I couldnt get in enough range time to be a master on them all. I carried m4/m9 regularly. those two I was very proficient on. Only had to use my M9 once. Fun times.

Doc

Well, I can only speak of the M4, M9, M26 and SAW. All different triggers for sure. I couldnt get in enough range time to be a master on them all. I carried m4/m9 regularly. those two I was very proficient on. Only had to use my M9 once. Fun times.

Doc
    Thanks for the reply . I struggle between pistol and AR . Precision rifle not so much . Thanks .
    While I'm sure your buddy speaks and writes in English better than you, there are a lot of details missing from your story.

Airborne is a two week school, anyone get do it in the Army, does not mean he is a paratrooper.

Ranger school can be accomplished by anyone who can survive Ranger school, very few of those people are really Rangers serving in Ranger units.

Getting assigned to a helicopter unit happens to cooks and supply pukes all the time, to get assigned to a unit that supports SF guys is not that amazing.

Anybody can join the Marines and claim they were a recon/sniper or some such bullshit, they have about 22,000,000 recon/snipers on Facebook as we speak. I'm pretty sure "Recon/sniper" is code words for cook or supply pukes based on the shear number of them who exist after their one hitch in the USMC. We had 30 of them in my college classes back in the mid-1990's, not a one had a DD214. We also had a medically retired LTC who's dad and won the MOH in WWII and he took the time to weed liars out of our vets only study group.

Are you asking if a fucker can do all this shit? Be an admin puke in the army with jump wings and then work filing papers in a helicopter unit that gave an SF guy a ride to work, sure. Then get out and join the Marines, sure, idiots do that once in a while. Most people go from miserable jobs to easier jobs as they break their joints and tear their muscles apart in their career. So maybe you have the story backwards?
    Asking the difference between full a auto walk-in to target , AR reset and trigger discipline , and Precision Rifle accuracy trigger discipline . The examples were anecdotal . I may not have framed the question clearly .
    Curious as I struggle between AR and pistol . Just looking for insight and experience .

if you have to ask someone else; then you aint the one who should be challenging them.
    I don't think I challenged anyone . Just asked for insight and experience .
    If I challenged or came off as so my bad and respect .
    The comment to Unoshoot / One shot was in reference to IIRC he's been there done that and had a couple T shirts . I've heard a few guys say that they don't put there boots on for less than X $$$$$ . Just trying to find out out others have mastered multi platform trigger discipline .

Nah just fingering Twinks and Ho's
    clxv4c7l0l.jpg

Pistol and AR are two completely different animals. Too many differences to cover in one small reply, but there are many tier1 fellas that master both equally well. Will they exhibit some form of favoritism towards one platform, sure, but they are required to be proficient on systems they utilize. Repetitive use and familiarity is the key to this. These guys spend countless hours, weeks, months to be where they have to be.
    -Airborne school(all 3 weeks, not 2) teaches you zero about shooting anything except your mouth.

-Ranger School(I’ll get roasted here) is an antiquated school IMO, that was developed to teach leadership in an artificially stress induced environment, designed to mimic combat situations. It does not teach you about shooting, unless you count a billion “mad minutes” after hours on an ambush line.

-Helicopter support units for USASOC, like 160th for example, have a selection process, but it is not a terribly hard go around. They don’t teach shooting in that either. Most 160th guys are helicopter support and maintenance, with a few being “gunners”. Those said gunners are usually swinging in a crew chief door with a large and/or heavy volume spewing bullet hose.

Neither of said professions you mentioned would bring much to the table in terms of mastering multiple platforms in my humble opinion, if that was their only qualification they felt necessary to mention. Go chuck some brass with a CAG guy or ten, some DEVGRU fellas, and maybe they can impart some inclination of what kind of dedication it takes to become proficient enough on multiple platforms to at least keep their job.

Reactions: Lawless
    Thanks for the reply . I struggle between pistol and AR . Precision rifle not so much . Thanks .

Asking the difference between full a auto walk-in to target , AR reset and trigger discipline , and Precision Rifle accuracy trigger discipline . The examples were anecdotal . I may not have framed the question clearly .
    Curious as I struggle between AR and pistol . Just looking for insight and experience .
    This^^^:)

I know without a doubt that if I run AR , up drills , reset drills , discipline/speed drills , it fucks up my pistol trigger manipulation .

He sucks and he's setting up the excuse roll for when you shoot with him

Mastering carbine, pistol and precision rifle is often accomplished by those who put the training into it and maintain discipline to focus on what they’re doing at that very moment. I’ve been pretty damn good at all at once, but I also had an ammo allotment and range access that only comes from being paid to master them all, or being very wealthy with nothing but time to shoot. Having left that work for more than a couple years, I’m rusty as hell but still maintain a pretty fair level of proficiency across them all, certainly not what I would consider combat ready at the moment but still better than any pogue.

Some, albeit rarely, have a natural knack for it too. These are the types that dominate the matches right out the gate, take multiple Distinguished halfway through their first season, etc and the like. As with any sport, you’re going to have those who make the shit look easy.

I don’t think the trigger is the most important or biggest challenge when switching from carbine to pistol. I don’t think the entire issue is very important at all in fact for defensive use. If you’ve had to go to a handgun (while running a carbine) you’re in more trouble than a fantastic finger is likely to extract you from.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
    The basic argument, that mastering one kind of firearm will automatically degrade proficiency with others (disregarding time management issues), is horseshit.

One of the things I've learned as I push to be better in practical shooting sports is that, outside of certain uses where very high precision is needed, a fundamentally solid grip is much more important than a perfect trigger press and such a grip makes up for a less than perfect trigger press.

I don’t think the trigger is the most important or biggest challenge when switching from carbine to pistol. I don’t think the entire issue is very important at all in fact for defensive use. If you’ve had to go to a handgun (while running a carbine) you’re in more trouble than a fantastic finger is likely to extract you from.
    Couldn’t agree more. Handgun range is just a cunt hair away from hand to hand range in some cases. A fight that goes to the ground is decidedly harder to manipulate than a projectile fight. Tons more variables suddenly come into play.

Reactions: Lawless
    The basic argument, that mastering one kind of firearm will automatically degrade proficiency with others (disregarding time management issues), is horseshit.

One of the things I've learned as I push to be better in practical shooting sports is that, outside of certain uses where very high precision is needed, a fundamentally solid grip is much more important than a perfect trigger press and such a grip makes up for a less than perfect trigger press.
    Well said. I find that changing firearms it usually takes about two shots to be fully switched over...if youre practiced with them both or all three. One shot to feel it, one to tune, third you better be on, A good grip is critical or its dancing in your hand.

I just use the same trigger in my carbine, pistol and precision rifle. Problem solved.

All you need is a nail file and rubber band to modify them.

It sounds like a whole bunch of BS excuses for sucking at life..... and shooting.

Becuse the answer is yes, you can do all three and many people in SOF do it everyday.

It’s the same as running a crane, an excavator, a dozer, and a grader all well. If I can do it, then someone else can shoot the different platforms well too.

It sounds like a whole bunch of BS excuses for sucking at life..... and shooting.

Becuse the answer is yes, you can do all three and many people in SOF do it everyday.
    Just cause I suck at life doesn't mean that there are not nuances to each discipline .
    Some shooters use the tip of their index . Others use the pad . I don't recall who but a sposored International Steel Challenge competitor said " you're essentially slapping the trigger target to target " .

Your flash sight picture is just that on a pistol where as building position for accurate long range rifle ....
    308 made a great comment about grip . Grip is akin to the foundation for a forty story building . If either suck your shit is coming apart .

Aside from dryfire and shooting thousands of rounds a week how do you Travis Haley ? Yeah I just answered my own question and looking for thoughts .

Oh and ah , what do you suck at ? 😆

Just cause I suck at life doesn't mean that there are not nuances to each discipline .
    Some shooters use the tip of their index . Others use the pad . I don't recall who but a sposored International Steel Challenge competitor said " you're essentially slapping the trigger target to target " .

Your flash sight picture is just that on a pistol where as building position for accurate long range rifle ....
    308 made a great comment about grip . Grip is akin to the foundation for a forty story building . If either suck your shit is coming apart .

Aside from dryfire and shooting thousands of rounds a week how do you Travis Haley ? Yeah I just answered my own question and looking for thoughts .

Oh and ah , what do you suck at ? 😆

I suck at being poor...... never get it right. Always too much money. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Practice what’s comfortable for you. I learned really quick that you can have the most training in the world in a controlled environment and it all goes out the window when lead starts flying by.

Reactions: SilentStalkr