• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bill Rogers School AAR (Handgun and CQB Carbine)

Fighthard

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2008
Chattanooga, TN
Roger’s Intermediate/Advanced Handgun Course

Handgun course consists of 2500 rounds total, comprised of 625 rounds weak/support hand only, 625 rounds strong hand only, and 1250 rounds from the holster and extended and intermediate ready positions with both hands.
Drills and testing covered:
Strong hand only draw, shoot and reload drills.
Weak hand only shooting and reload drills.
Alternating and Random Ball & Dummy drills.
All reloading is done behind cover, and cover is dependent upon the type of reload…weak hand only, strong hand only, tactical, emergency, etc.
Malfunctions and various stoppages were encountered and addressed as they happened.
Holstered freestyle and single hand engagement drills consisting of 1, 2, 3, 7, or 21 targets.
Handheld and weapon mounted light shooting and reloading from cover was covered in depth, although not included in the testing.

Out of 125 total points, qualifications are broken down as follows: 70-90 Basic, 90-109 Intermediate and 110+ is Advanced. With 14 students we had 1 Advanced Rating, 1 Intermediate Rating, and 9 Basic Ratings, 3 shot the course of fire without achieving a minimum rating.
The Intermediate/Advanced Handgun Qualification Course consists of 9 test stages.

Roger’s CQB Carbine Course

Shooting course consists of 500 rounds of 9mm.

Weapons were supplied by the school and were as follows: Bushmaster 16” AR15 A3 carbine in 9mm, with fixed or folding backup iron sights that were cowitnessed with an Aimpoint. Additional features were the Safariland quad mount for the handguard and a single point Honkala sling.
Reload and Malfunction Drills,
Engaging and shooting specific and randomly appearing targets from the extended ready position, high ready and ready position while moving.
Shooting consisting of 1, 2, 3, 7, or 21 targets in a specific series or appearing and being engaged randomly.
The CQB Carbine Qualification Course consists of 5 test stages.

Out of 75 total points, qualifications are broken down as follows: 50-60 Basic, 60-69 Intermediate and 70+ is Advanced. With 10 students, my notes indicate that we had 1 Advanced Rating, 5 Intermediate Ratings, 2 Basic Ratings, and who 2 shot the course of fire without achieving a minimum rating.

2hz75zb.jpg

What to bring:
I would recommend a 9mm handgun with a light rail, a backup handgun if your primary breaks, however the school can provide a handgun if necessary, bring a good holster (belt, paddle or drop leg, with or without locking features will work), 3000 rounds of ammunition (2500 handgun, 500 9mm for carbine), very basic handgun cleaning kit, small handheld light, weapon mounted light for handgun, minimum 5 magazines and a magazine loader, double magazine holder with or without top, a good stiff belt, very comfortable shoes or boots and clothes you don’t care if you get target paint on.

I took my well worn Glock 17 with Meprolight three dot sights and a factory trigger, decal grips, Prezine Glock Grip Adaptor, holstered in a Safariland 6004 with SLS and hood on a Bianchi 1-3/4 inch belt with one dual Uncle Mike’s kydex magazine holder. My M3 light held up well, but I shot the front sight off on day 1 and Bill Rogers replaced it himself with a new red fiber optic front sight like he shoots.
Other recommendations: Skateboard tape on the grips or a stippled grip on the handgun, at the very least aggressive serrations on the grip and the bottom of the trigger guard, you will want it if you don’t have it. A beveled magwell to assist in reloads. Alcohol wipes, assorted BandAids and a pair of tweezers. You want to trust me on this one. I would also recommend long sleeves and of course rain gear .

A ballcap is required and eye and electronic ear protection will be provided unless you want to use yours. Bring an ink pen a small notepad to keep with you.

Lunch and dinner are provided each day and if you stay at the Roger’s Bunkhouse you get breakfast Monday through Friday.

Sunday
1930 Class Briefing by Bill Rogers, the lecture begins with the instructor introductions and overview of the upcoming week. Bill spent almost 2 hours describing how the course of instruction and the testing procedure was developed and refined over the last 34 years.
I will not bore you with the details of all of the notes that I took, but suffice it to say that the POI is intended to have you take the handgun you brought and actually teach you how to use it effectively in almost any situation. (I have been to a bunch of schools and thought that I knew how to use and was highly proficient with my sidearm…I was so wrong.) Roger’s Intermediate/Advanced Course is as many of you may know highly regarded and damn tough, I found out just how tough.
The course is based on seven moving target heads and three target bodies at ranges from 7 yards to 18 yards. Target heads are 8 inches in diameter, moving and engagement times and distances are based on human reaction times. The course speeds are the same at the beginning of the training as they are at the end of the training. If you can’t hit the number 1 target head at 7 yards in 0.5 seconds from the extended ready position, you are already behind when you show up. You will speed up to succeed or you will not qualify, it is that simple.

Monday
0845 arrive at range and go over range procedures. Shoot drills until lunch, 20 minutes for lunch, head call and dry practice, resume drills and shoot the complete qualification test. You will shoot the Qualification Test once each day Monday through Friday and twice on Thursday. The highest score for each day of testing, 1X Monday, 1X Tuesday, 1X Wednesday, 2X Thursday and 1X Friday qualifications will count for your certification. 1600 Police range, and prep for the carbine course. 1615 Start CQB carbine course, shoot a series of drills designed to prepare you for the five carbine tests. 1750 Carbine course Day 1 completed.

1900 dinner at Roger’s lodge, 1945 begin homework with instructor staff consisting of dry practice, sight acquisition, trigger manipulation, and individual overview of your performance during the day. Homework concluded at approximately 2130 hours.
Depending on the training day, drills consisted of shooting specific and randomly appearing targets from the extended ready, intermediate ready, and holstered freestyle positions. Reloads and recovery from immediate actions were to be done from behind cover at all times.

Tuesday
0845 arrive at range, gear up and be ready to proceed with drills at 0900. Shoot drills until lunch, 20 minutes for lunch, head call and dry practice, resume drills and shoot the complete qualification test. Police range, and prep for the carbine course. 1600 Introduction to next drills for the CQB carbine course and Qualification Test. 1800 Carbine Course Day Two is completed.

1900 dinner at Roger’s lodge, 1945 begin homework with instructor staff consisting of dry practice, sight acquisition, trigger manipulation, and individual overview of your performance during the day, more insight on the qualification test. Homework concludes at approximately 2130 hours.
At the end of Tuesday, I had shot approximately 875 rounds.

Wednesday
0845 arrive at range, gear up and be ready to proceed with drills at 0900. Shoot drills until lunch, 20 minutes for lunch, head call and dry practice, resume drills and shoot the complete qualification test for the first time that counts for certification. Police range, and prep for the carbine course. 1500 New carbine drills and warm up drills for the CQB carbine course Qualification Test, 1630 Carbine Qualification Test #1 begins, all five individual tests are shot for score. 1740 Carbine Qualification #1 is completed and scores revealed. Most of today’s drills were done from the holster, and the majority of drills were weak or strong hand only.

1900 dinner at Roger’s lodge, 1945 begin homework with instructor staff consisting of dry practice, sight acquisition, trigger manipulation, and individual overview of your performance during the day, more insight on the qualification test. Handheld and weapon mounted light use is introduced and homework concluded at approximately 2115 hours.

Thursday
0845 arrive at range, gear up and be ready to proceed with drills at 0900. Shoot drills for a warm up, begin shooting the qualification relays at approximately 1030. Qualification Test #2 completed at approximately 1200 hours. 20 minutes for lunch, head break and dry practice, resume drills and shoot the complete qualification test again. Police range, and prep for the carbine course. 1500 Warm up drills for the CQB carbine course Qualification Test, 1530 Carbine Qualification Test begins, all five individual test are shot for score. 1640 Carbine Qualification Test is shot for score for the final time. 1700 Carbine Qualification is completed and scores revealed.

1800 dinner at Roger’s lodge, 1845 return to range and begin night fire drills at approximately 1930 hours. No light, handheld and weapon mounted lights are used to shoot a variety of drills until approximately 2115 hours. Light and sound discipline are stressed and required as the night fire session is conducted on the range while completely dark without the aid of any range lighting.

Friday
0845 arrive at range, gear up and be ready to proceed with drills at 0900. Shoot drills for a warm up, begin shooting the qualification relays at approximately 1000. Final Qualification Test completed at approximately 1130 hours, police range, have lunch and await final scores and presentation of certificates at approximately 1200 hours.

Certifications are presented as Bill Rogers gives a course overview and AAR. Ceremonies concluded at 1230 hours.

Out of 3,000 rounds of ammunition, I have 157 rounds left over.

How well did I shoot? Well I scored in the mid 70’s twice for a Basic rating on the Handgun and in the high 60’s twice for an Intermediate rating with the CQB carbine. I would recommend the handgun class to anyone who wants to learn how to use their handgun, and the carbine class to pick up an extra rating while at the school.

Sorry for the long post. Hope it is helpful to anyone interested in attending.