• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Can you legally carry a Folding Knife in Mexico?

Re: Can you legally carry a Folding Knife in Mexico?

not really my worry last few times I was there - take a cheap one you're willing to leave stuck in "something" and throw it away if needed.

As to the legality - even if it said it was legal somewhere in writing, it's still open to interpretation depending on who you are dealing with........food for thought.

The rules in Mexico are subject to change minute by minute.

A long flat bladed screwdriver will get you farther. Plus you can get them anywhere. When I'm in mexico, that's where my preference lies...

My advice is just say no to Mexico.

If you have too, I like the screwdriver idea!

Having lived in Baja for two years,I can tell you that a knife of any sort will get you busted in Mexico if the cops are checking you out.If you are in a place in Mexico where you need a knife for protection,you are in deep shit because it will be more than one guy on your ass.

Your own signature speaks for itself,apply it to knives as well

Thanks guys. I will leave it at home. Don't plan on going any where it may be needed except fishing.

Come to Ga. we have more mexicans that mexico and you can carry a gun and a knife.
Scot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Come to Ga. we have more mexicans that mexico and you can carry a gun and a knife.
Scot </div></div>

LMAO!!!!

Awesome tourism catch phrase!

keep a carbon fiber shank in yer prison purse just in case, just sayin...

It is illegal to carry a knife or other weapons in Mexico.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/spring_break_mexico/spring_break_mexico_2812.html

But then illicit drugs, killing and beheading people are also illegal. I just pose the question, what is illegal when there is no rule of law?

I've traveled to many underdeveloped countries, and had the feeling that I wish I had a gun with me for protection, as I know the criminals are armed. I'm glad that I live in a country where it is legal for law abiding citizens to carry, instead of just the criminals who by definition don't care about the law.

Prezactly. I wouldn't go to Mexico on a bet w/o a good pistol and more mags than I could fit on my belt. Too much to see in a lifetime on this side of the border.

<span style="font-weight: bold">+1</span> on the <span style="font-style: italic">unaltered</span> flat tip screw driver. Always a good cheap fall-back option in a pinch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">keep a carbon fiber shank in yer prison purse just in case, just sayin... </div></div>
lmao..im assuming you mean the famous keester stash..

I think I'd rather build a shank once in country, (or just buy a screw driver) rather than keistering a carbon fiber shiv! I'm all for being armed, but.........

It's not about if it's legal or not....

It's more about how much you are willing to donate to the local Policia if you happen to have contact with them.

There are very few reasons I would go to Mexico right now. None of them involve tourism and all of them would involve me being armed with more than a knife, accompanied by co-workers and well paid.

To quote your Sig:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you think you need a gun to go there, don't go there.</div></div>

This applies to foreign countries as well.

As a frequent visitor to Mexico's troubled areas, I will admit that I used to carry a knife and a couple time brought the Glock by accident. Conditions in the last 12months have deteriorated to the point that any confrontation with the CDG or Zetas wont be resolved with a knife...You need a gun and lots of friends or you need to haul ass...Some of the marksmanship I have seen there makes you wonder if you wouldnt be smarter just to stand still until the run out of ammo
grin.gif

Anything is legal in Mexico if you own 400 armed thugs and a big bank account.

Which is sorta the problem....

Seriously, anything you can do in Mexico you can do somewhere else safer.

If you get caught with anything you're not supposed to have in Mexico be prepared to bribe your way out of the situation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M40A1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Prezactly. I wouldn't go to Mexico on a bet w/o a good pistol and more mags than I could fit on my belt. Too much to see in a lifetime on this side of the border.

</div></div>

And you would be stopped at the airport or border and they would seize your pistol and arrest you, shooting instructor went last year and he didn't take any type of weapon (i.e. knife pistol) as they would have stopped him at the border for the pistol and trouble in mexico for the knife.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scotts556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And you would be stopped at the airport or border and they would seize your pistol and arrest you, shooting instructor went last year and he didn't take any type of weapon (i.e. knife pistol) as they would have stopped him at the border for the pistol and trouble in mexico for the knife. </div></div>

I would never condone any type of illegal activity. However.....

Do you really think it's that hard to smuggle a pistol into Mexico?

However most of the "conflict" areas I have been to in the world you can barter for a weapon quickly if you have brought the right kind of currency.

Again, the best defense is to just stay home. I don't know of anything in Cancun that you can't find here.

Cancun isn't Mexico - it's Miami South.

They know what side their bread is buttered on down there. The resort area is just fine.

Offroad motorcycling through the interior, yea I carried multiple knives and multiple wallets. We call 'em drop knives and drop wallets. Good for making someone think they got something as a deterrent as well as useful for a distraction if needed. Throw it down at their feet. Gives you a tactical advantage.

It's no problem at all to sneak a pistol into Mexico. The problem is when the policia pull you over for what ever they fancy with the sole purpose of fleecing you for cash . Search through your car and find said gun. then the fun begins.

My advice stay our of Mexico until after the current war is over

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Come to Ga. we have more mexicans that mexico and you can carry a gun and a knife.
Scot</div></div> If Lorna Rd. in Hoover Al. wasn't farther north than TJ I'd say it was TJ south. LOL! you ain't got them all Scot

There used to be a sign in Browsville Texas I think it was that advertised for mexican workers needed for the chicken plants in Gainesville Ga.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not about if it's legal or not....

It's more about how much you are willing to donate to the local Policia if you happen to have contact with them.

There are very few reasons I would go to Mexico right now. None of them involve tourism and all of them would involve me being armed with more than a knife, accompanied by co-workers and well paid.

To quote your Sig:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you think you need a gun to go there, don't go there.</div></div>

This applies to foreign countries as well. </div></div>

So much this.

One of my coworkers was frisked by the Policia in TJ and had a pocket knife he'd forgotten to leave behind. They were threatening him with all kinds of insane prison sentences. I'm pretty sure he forked over more than just a couple hundred bucks to get outta there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scotts556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And you would be stopped at the airport or border and they would seize your pistol and arrest you, shooting instructor went last year and he didn't take any type of weapon (i.e. knife pistol) as they would have stopped him at the border for the pistol and trouble in mexico for the knife. </div></div>

I would never condone any type of illegal activity. However.....

Do you really think it's that hard to smuggle a pistol into Mexico?

However most of the "conflict" areas I have been to in the world you can barter for a weapon quickly if you have brought the right kind of currency.

Again, the best defense is to just stay home. I don't know of anything in Cancun that you can't find here. </div></div>

Sorry if i seemed like i was getting on your case, I wasn't, just stating what I was told, they went hand in hand so i quoted you, sorry if I came off on the wrong note.

Scott

I used to travel tons to costa rica, colombia and Ecuador. The worst crime in these countries is really petty theft and sometimes robery. The bad guys really don't wish to kill you, they just want money. If you hand it over, its all good.

Bad news is that if you get robbed and your out of country, you might be without cash and then you are SOL. I carried extra cash in the liner of my shoe just in cash.

At one time I was going to have my shoe smith fashion me a little compartment for a little stash. I even thought about having one of my shoes fitted with a really sharp blade, so if I was stopped the cops wouldn't steal it.

You have to weigh this with getting into trouble with the law. Personally I'd rather face three banditos in the alley that wanted my wallet then a south american jail for carring something that was illegal.

kz

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot1760</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

At one time I was going to have my shoe smith fashion me a little compartment for a little stash. I even thought about having one of my shoes fitted with a really sharp blade, so if I was stopped the cops wouldn't steal it.

</div></div>

Are your initials J B?

I used to guide alot in Sonora and I always wore a fixed blade, even into customs and the Army HQ to check guns in and never had a problem. BUt as was pointed out things change from day to day. All vaqueros, to a man, wore a pouch sheath with a folding knife, lots of case trappers and folding hunters. Something along those lines might go un-noticed. That being said, piss on Mexico. I LOVED hunting down there but it's not worth it. Sonsabitches!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is illegal to carry a knife or other weapons in Mexico.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/spring_break_mexico/spring_break_mexico_2812.html

But then illicit drugs, killing and beheading people are also illegal. I just pose the question, what is illegal when there is no rule of law?

I've traveled to many underdeveloped countries, and had the feeling that I wish I had a gun with me for protection, as I know the criminals are armed. I'm glad that I live in a country where it is legal for law abiding citizens to carry, instead of just the criminals who by definition don't care about the law. </div></div>

Maybe our president should tell the Mexican president to ban all the drugs, crime,killing and beheading, and that American citizens, when traveling in Mexico, have the right to be armed. I wonder how that would go over?

As someone who carries a knife <span style="font-style: italic"> everywhere </span> I go, my suggestion would be leave Mexico to the Mexicans. Go to Aruba instead. Friendliest people you ever want to meet, everyone speaks english, water is good to drink, and I walked around with my Benchmade Barrage clipped in my pocket for 10 days and never had an issue.
I never felt like I needed a knife, but it felt good to have it anyway.

As in 007....LOL,,,,,not quite, but it's a different world down south. Regardless of weather you are in mexico, central or south america, when you get away from the tourist areas one always has to be watching over his shoulder. Americanos stick out like a big fat sore thumb down there....

adios,
kz

No kidding,,,,,Belize, aruba,,,,costa rica,,parts of colombia and parts of Venezula are to die for and don't get me started on Brazil...I would visit all of these places before I'd go to mexico. But that's just my opinion......