• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Can you make this cold bore shot? --Poll

Can you make this cold bore shot? --Poll

• Total voters

SSC

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Just a quick poll for you guys. Can you make a hit on a 8" gong with 1 shot on a cold bore from 1067 yards 90% of the time? If your answer is no then reply the distance at which you could.

Here is the setup:
Your favorite rifle
Near sea level
63 degrees
55% humidity
9 mph wind left to right from 7 o'clock
Sun over your right shoulder

Last edited:
My furthest cold bore with a Creedmoor is 900 yards at a 1/2 man steel target...12 inches wide I think.

Its possible I could but since that isn't one of the choices I'm going to have to go with no

I would say 700ish i can do it, but past there 90 percent is a high number

If I knew the wind was as you prescribed (rather than relying on my reading), probably 700. In that much wind relying on my reading it, ~550. My best guesses.

I'd say I would be comfortable giving you a 30-35% hit rate for CBS on this shot with my 6.5 CM, even if I was to shoot 10 rounds at this once I was on target I doubt I'd hit all 10 of them, more like 8 and I'd be happy. With a bigger caliber that I was very comfortable with I would hesitate a guess around 65% for something like a heavily stoked 300WM or 7 WSM type round.

Perhaps I missed it, but is this poll in response to some sort of discussion about hitting animals or some pissing match?

I was just talking with some guys about how much training and practice goes into making shots like this. Not really a pissing match and some to do with hunting. More or less I just wanted to prove to some guys that the more you know about shooting the less confident you are at hitting cold bore shots at extended distances. Then there are the guys that have put in the time and training to do it but there are many that can do this 90% of the time.

Not even close. Proably 10-20% of the time.

90% hit rate, 8" circle target, CBS? ~700 yards.

Can you make a hit on a 8" gong with 1 shot on a cold bore from 1067 yards 90% of the time? If your answer is no then reply the distance at which you could.
I am taking this as a serious inquiry...........no.

If your answer is no then reply the distance at which you could.
9 out of 10...................cold bore......................500 meters.

Sub MOA at 1K+, 90% of the time out of the gate?

Not this cowboy. I'd scare the hell out of it 90% of the time but hitting it, not so much.

I'd go 600 for a CBS with that percentage given your atmospherics.

In an any condition, any time CBS (within reason), 450 - 500 yards.

Cheers,

Doc

On an 8" plate, about 600 yards with my .223 AR. Less if the wind is over 10mph. I haven't had a chance to take my new 6XC out to distance, yet, so my answer may change once I do.

Just a quick poll for you guys. Can you make a hit on a 8" gong with 1 shot on a cold bore from 1067 yards 90% of the time? If your answer is no then reply the distance at which you could.
It depends. Sub-MOA at 1000yards-plus in a 9mph wind with no information about terrain? Doubtful.

But 'your favorite rifle' is too much of a variable. My favorite .308? Nope. My favorite 7Mag? Game changer.... But, Nope.

100% CB hit rate on a 2 MOA target at 400? Yes.
90% hit rate on a 1.5MOA target at 600? Maybe.

If you want trained people to make reliable first round hits on a 6" target at 300yards (under variable conditions) you will need the BC offered by the .338.

Last edited:
How do I see who voted yes and no? when I voted I could see who else had voted but now I cant

I could almost never hit that first shot. I'd say I'd be confident in a third round hit.

On an 8" disk, in 10ish mph wind, I'd say 500 yards I could do it most of the time.

I would hit "something" in such a scenario. At least 90% of the time, that would be the backstop.

For me, 500m coldbore all else being equal to what you propose.

Not in my wildest dreams.

90% for me on an 8" target, 650-700 yards given those conditions. And that's only with a rifle that I am very familiar with.

I don't have the room to practice that sort of shooting, nor am I what I would describe as a technical shooter.

I keep a basic chart taped to the buttstock and carry a Lieca CRF. Wind is pretty much an instinct thing with me.

With my 22-243 or 300WM, I'm guessing I could do it at 550-600yds.

I'm saying NO as well...I can get about 80% with my 300RUM in the 8-850yd range on a 12" round plate but that's about it. Most of my LR shooting is varied distances between 550 and 900 due to ease of setup at my usual haunt. We occasionally shoot longer but setup is far more difficult so it's not often enough for me to be confident in it. Inside 700yds or so and under 20mph wind I'd call 90% with that rig any day. Hopefully to new 280AI will be as consistent for me...

No sub-MOA cold bore at 1067 yards in wind :rolleyes:

I maybe could do it at around 800. I think it is unrealistic to expect better then MOA on a cold bore shot. However, I would not bet my life on it maybe 500 - 600.

Last edited:
600 yards I know I could do on a 8" target with conditions as stated I'll even go as small as 6" at same ratio

sent from my RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk 2

I'd like the folks that voted "yes" to speak up and tell us how it's done.

I don't think I read one post that some said they could at that distance. For me at distance I stated is because my benchrest rifles are already dialed in at 600 yards and I know where it hits every time on a cold bore shot.

sent from my RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk 2

No I can not do this on demand 90% of the time or probably even 10% of the time. Given plenty of time to practice and my best ammo, 10% is probably overly optimistic come to think about it.

I was shooting the other day at 620 yards with an LMT MWS 16"CL and 168 gr Black Hills. First shot hit a 12 inch disk and so did the next nine. The groups size was about 8 or 9 inches which is probably about the best I can do on demand and under most weather conditions. I am pretty damn happy with that.

Last edited:
300 WM Ruger 1V liberty model : 100% for 800-yards from bench for 12-inch target with 190gr hpbt, further then that changes wind drift would affect cold shot.

For me at distance I stated is because my benchrest rifles are already dialed in at 600 yards and I know where it hits every time on a cold bore shot.
What a coincidence: All my rifles are 'dialed in' at 600 yards as well.

300 WM Ruger 1V liberty model : 100% for 800-yards from bench for 12-inch target with 190gr hpbt, further then that changes wind drift would affect cold shot.
Hmmmmm..... Further than that the wind has an effect on your cold bore shot you say?

Where were all of these hot shots this past weekend in New Mexico for the Score High Tactical Rifle Challenge? Cold Bore shot at 550 on a 7-8" plate (I believe), and there were misses aplenty.

At a known distance 500yards is pushing it for me. I tried a random target placement, ranged it, thought it was .7 mil(436) vers the .8 mil(381) and was off distance 50+yards that threw the vertical over 10" off.

honest? 8" round, 90%, cold bore, 9mph from 7...

350 yds

That may change when I have my 'new' favorite rifle, but cold bore head shot (essentially)? Yea, 350.

To answer this question just have a look at one of the score cards from a national or State level, 1000 yard F-Class event.
The best shooters with the the best equipment in the country.

Have a look at the first sighter shot from each shooter at this distance. You will see a lot of shots are not in the bull.

I think I could swing that target package. CBS 90% hit percentage. Heck I might even manage 95% hit...

My gun:

a M256A1 120 mm smoothbore gun, assisted by all the fancy computers onboard the M1A2 that the gun is sitting on!

I did a cold bore challenge a while back and got it all on video, after all said and done, in those conditions if I have time and no pressure I would say I can make the shoot you speak of out to about 5-600 yards 90% of the time.

Here is one of the best days of my challenge, check out the other days if you wish on my youtube channel

Cold Bore Challenge Day#19 - YouTube

Doing a challenge like this really puts the whole thing into perspective, everyone has that one day when they made that really awesome cold bore shot. And SOME of them get on the intent and that is there standard when threads like this come up. lol.

I could NOT make that shot 90% of the time on a 2moa target at that distance. Just hitting an 8” target at over 1k 9 out of 10 times in variable conditions would be some very good shooting. They’re very well may be some guys who can pull that off but I personally don't know any of them. (Sorry Turbo) :)

I'm thinking Graham is about right but for me even his numbers would be optimistic. One match I attended was a CBS at a measured 1k, start standing behind your rifle; you had 15sec to make the shot. If my memory serves me correct, something 5 out of 40 or 50 guys made that shot on a full size IPSC.

The presence of a clock causes havoc.

I am good for 850 on a good day my scapel in 308 is shot more than any gun I own. I have shot this range with CBS and am close to 90. Over that hell no.

I did a cold bore challenge a while back and got it all on video, after all said and done, in those conditions if I have time and no pressure I would say I can make the shoot you speak of out to about 5-600 yards 90% of the time.

Here is one of the best days of my challenge, check out the other days if you wish on my youtube channel

Cold Bore Challenge Day#19 - YouTube

Doing a challenge like this really puts the whole thing into perspective, everyone has that one day when they made that really awesome cold bore shot. And SOME of them get on the intent and that is there standard when threads like this come up. lol.

Yeah, how big is that green circle? Shooting a moa group on a 20" plate is a little different than on an 8" plate. Not a bad group tho.