• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Can you recomend an inexpensive beginner's scope for an AR?

csdilligaf

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2012
San Diego CA
dsmachinewerks.com
I helped two friends build up AR's. We had alot of fun and they learnded alot about the weapon they would now be shooting. Figured it was a great way to get them into the sport. It really drained them of cash and now that they want a scope there is little money left. I dont buy low end optics so dont know what to recomend to them. The Nikon P-223 3x32 at $120 would be in the range they can swing for now untill they can afford more. Would this be a good way to go? I was thinking fixed power so the whole hold over at different powers or dialing dont blow there minds. They just need to get out and test the water. I did push them towards Magpul flip up sights but they need some magnifaction.
The rifles are Flat top uppers with 18" barrels in 5.56

any help out there?

thanks,

Normally you'd get the usual questions about what type of shooting they planned on doing. With 18" barrels I'm going to guess that these rifles are more for a "DMR/SPR" type role, but with a budget of $120 I'm not sure it matters what they're plans are. The Nikon is probably as good an option as any to get them shooting, but really ANY scope they find in that price range will at least get them shooting. Hell I'd almost recommend going as cheap BELOW $120 as they can to save the difference towards an optic in the next price bracket.
Hell, good iron sights will get them quite a ways.
Good on you for getting these guys into the sport. Whatever they can find that's going to make it FUN and keep them shooting is probably the right option at this point.

I also recommend the Nikon. I am running one on my S&W AR and it works great. Plus you can download dope info from their website.

Normally cheap and good do not go together in the same sentence, but I will tell you, there are two inexpensive scopes I was exceptionally impressed with.

The first one is by Leatherwood, the CMR. Overall very it has been very tough and has some very cool features associated with high end products less the price increase. IE BDC reticle for two different calibers, Zero Stop mechanism for elevation turrets and an illuminated reticle.

Optically, it is quite sharp. For me that is to be expected on lower mag scopes, but because of the distances or lengths they are, this is actually harder to accomodate than most think. It's actually more labor intensive to make these small scopes.

The second one, was Vortex's PST 1-4. There's not much to add when Vortex is mentioned, because they have done their due diligence to create quality products.
Optically very sharp, but not comparable to the Razor or a scope like the SS. Mechanically though it is very comparable to NF in my opinion.
The one thing I didn't like about mine is the Zero Stop. Shims are a clever idea, but I personally didn't like how it was implemented.

But I can say, both of these have served me very well, and I enjoy shooting with them. Winner, winner, chicken dinner either way.

Inexpensive, and better than its price might suggest, the Tasco 2.5-10x42 Target/Varmint True Mil-Dot scope is a true bargain. I have its big Brother, the 6-24x42 version on my Stag Super Varminter.

My Super Varminter is configured from the factory with an A2 stock and a Pic rail flattop. Where I usually dismiss see-thru rings as being excessively tall, they are what I'm using in this application. The flattop needs more height, and this is the simplest and easiest solution I could find. If anything, they are tall enough, and might even benefit from a smidge more height.

I have a pair of the 2.5-10's and four of the 6-24's. They have been my go-to scopes for maybe a half dozen years now, with no scope-related problems. I've mounted them on everything from .22lr's to .260 F Class rifles in 1Kyd comp. They ride my .30-'06 Featherweight M70 hunter, and a .280 Rem load testing rifle. They are not without minor issues, mainly related to image quality in low light; but in a cost value comparison, I rate them top notch.

Greg

Last edited:
At that price point it doesn't much matter what they buy. Maybe choose a company that has acceptable customer service and a lifetime warranty, then send the scope back a few times until an acceptable one arrives in the mail.

I like the comment about learning to shoot good irons if that kind of money is all they have to spend.

Have you considered running a red dot? The Bushnll TRS 25 atop a UTG riser base will allow you to cowitness the optic with your iron sights. You should stay under $120 total, and you likely be faster on target with this setup.

If your sub $200 then there is one really good option - Mueller APT. Mueller has some of the best glass on the market in inexpensive scopes. The APT (All Purpose Tactical) is a 4.5-14x44 with AO and mil dot reticle and 30mm tube. It's tough and only $189. The illuminated version is $249. I bought one to use as a test scope for the AR's I build. I've moved it from about 4 dozen rifles and it keeps on tickin. Tracks perfectly and holds zero on the .308's.

All Scopes - Mueller 4.5-14x40 APT (Tactical)

Another great option is Primary Arms. They have two of interest. One is their FFP Mil Mil which I have on my Savage Hog Hunter. 4-14-50 mil dot with .1 mil clicks in the first focal plane. About as cheap as you can get in FFP at $230. Good glass too.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-4-14X44-FFP-Scope-p/pa4-14xffp.htm

PA also makes a nice fixed 6x AR scope with a ranging reticle set up for the 5.56. A friend got one and he loves it. Simple to use for everything from CQB out to 600. Check out the video on the reticle. Good choice for $179.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-6X-Scope-with-ACSS-reticle-p/pa6xrbd.htm

If I were going with a reflex sight, the Bushnell mentioned below is a good one.

I recently cancelled an order for an upper, but the sight I would have employed is this one. A key advantage is the option of using the provided 2x screw in magnifier. The added cost also includes a 3-piece pedestal mount allowing 4 different mounting heights. Review.

I know it's more expensive, but for reflex optics, I think that one needs to get up and above the more commonly available stuff; reliability can be spotty in the shallow end of that pool. When one considers the Vortex brand name, I think quality, first and foremost.

I also considered this as a somewhat more affordable compromise, but I really preferred the SPARC's more compact package. Also comes with a mount and a 2X screw-in magnifier, BTW... Review.

Last edited:
Well, Some good options came up. And They went with the Tasco 2.5-10 x 42 and the rings that were mentioned. Came in under $100 each and got them a scope set up that should last untill they they look thru my nightforce. Beginners are always happy with much less untill they see what "quality" really is. I miss those days, so does my wallet.

I think you might be able to find a used Vortex Viper 2-7x32 for around $150. That would be a little over the $120 limit but IMO the extra $30 would be well worth it.

I have been using the Millett DMS-1 scope for a long time. I have used it in 3gun, hunting, etc. My boys have both taken deer out to 150y with it. At 200y with a good AR, making A zone hits is not a problem. $200.

LD

I have Bushnell MTAC on my AR. 1-4x, at 1x works like a red dot (both eyes open, illuminated reticle. You can go about $100 less and get the TAC30, only big difference is the illumination is push button versus dial on the MTAC.

I put a Millet 1-4x on an S&W MP15-22. It will be up for sale once I get some bucks.

I will probably put a Vortex PST 1-4x on the AR, and move the Bushnell to the .22. Or get another AR. :)

If your sub $200 then there is one really good option - Mueller APT. Mueller has some of the best glass on the market in inexpensive scopes. The APT (All Purpose Tactical) is a 4.5-14x44 with AO and mil dot reticle and 30mm tube. It's tough and only $189. The illuminated version is $249. I bought one to use as a test scope for the AR's I build. I've moved it from about 4 dozen rifles and it keeps on tickin. Tracks perfectly and holds zero on the .308's.

All Scopes - Mueller 4.5-14x40 APT (Tactical)

Another great option is Primary Arms. They have two of interest. One is their FFP Mil Mil which I have on my Savage Hog Hunter. 4-14-50 mil dot with .1 mil clicks in the first focal plane. About as cheap as you can get in FFP at $230. Good glass too.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-4-14X44-FFP-Scope-p/pa4-14xffp.htm

PA also makes a nice fixed 6x AR scope with a ranging reticle set up for the 5.56. A friend got one and he loves it. Simple to use for everything from CQB out to 600. Check out the video on the reticle. Good choice for $179.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-6X-Scope-with-ACSS-reticle-p/pa6xrbd.htm

I can vouch for the APT. It started out on a 20" AR and tracked well and was clear. I usually shoot it maxed out as I usually don't shoot less than 100yds with that rifle. It was replaced by a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 and you can tell the difference especially in the turrets and their rotation marks(no mush at all, markings right on the money). That APT is now on a Savage Mark ll TR and until it breaks or I come into tons of cash, it ain't coming off. Tracking hasn't changed and it's just a perfect fit. That scope will always stay in my stable. I also own a couple of Vortex scopes and would recommend them as well. I'd take the Mueller over a low end Vortex though.

Well, Some good options came up. And They went with the Tasco 2.5-10 x 42 and the rings that were mentioned.

Face palm....

I swear nobody thinks about resale value these days especially when they're looking for something to upgrade later, it's always cheap, now. Those scopes if they last until its time to upgrade will have almost zero resale value and at the end of the day it will be like flushing your money down the toilet. For $200 they could have gotten a 10X Bushnell tactical on sale at midway, have a better scope that will hold 90-95% of its value. If you wait to sell it when they're not on sale you can get all of your money back. Not to mention its a good scope to keep to use one another build. Yes it's twice the money of what they spent but you get what you pay for. Newbs always gotta learn the hard way.

I tried to talk them up a few notches but when we started getting parts for the build was when everything went up. I helped them shop and they did OK but it just didnt leave them enough for optics of any quality really. And buying one for him and his dad doubles the cost. Atleast now they can shoot all that crappy miss matched ammo they have been picking up were ever and when ever they can. It was all about them having fun. A father and son got to build them and now they can shoot together. I will post on the scopes if they come in and work with out trouble or not.

I would go with a vortex PST. It is more than the Nikon but it is ten times better. Just save some more money and get the vortex
You will be slot better off.