• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can you shoot a tank down it's cannon?

If the powers that be are correct tank technology is no longer a survivable option when cheap ass drones are present.

It's cavalry to be used against poors but anyone of any means can defeat them from afar.
This is more true than most understand. For damned near every type of field asset.

If you do your part and shoot the .3 Mils everyone on the internet does you can get a bullet down the barrel. Not sure you will get a second shot though.

If that scenario could be done, if anything the round gets lodged between the barrel and the tank round. Nothing would happen until the tank gunner squeezed the trigger and then its a bad day for them. Don't expect to survive that scenario anyway. Would have been a cool mythbusters show.

Not true . We have duel warhead anti tank rounds for the Javelins now . First warhead takes out the reactive armor . Second penetrates the hull .
Alas poor Uri , I new him well .
I'm not talking about reactive armor that everyone uses now, any modern war head can defeat that stuff.

I'm talking about interceptor systems that shoot down incoming war heads.
They already work against ATGMs, but soon they will be strong enough to even help stop rounds from other tanks.

I bet DThomas would give us his sermon on that.
How about the Hoplite Ammunition guy?
Of all the people on this board he'd be the one that would know.
He must be busy
He’s probably just laughing at us for even entertaining the thought.

Remember logistics win wars and tanks are hungry beasts.

Yep, take out the fuel tanker convoy and your enemy's super tanks kind of grind to a halt.

Much like the Germans found out, when their invincible super tanks ran out of go juice...

Reactions: camocorvette
How would a Tanks targeting system for the main gun fair if it took a hit from a .50?

0E7AECE0-642C-48A8-B45C-98D15BAFD3AF.jpeg

I am assuming here not a tank expert.

green is the driver optics, yellow is the laser rangefinder, red is the back up glass optic, blue is the guners camera optic sensors.

What if instead of shooting down the bore you take out the targeting system??

Hasn't history shown that simply dumping fuel on a tank and adding flame will disable it? Or cook the crew...

In reading all the replies, we’re missing the real solution:
Go big and apply a W88 to the problem, we’re done and the tank is cooked.
Stand-off weapon.
No defense against it.
Eliminates tanker’s proximate comrades.
And we have a surplus in inventory and parts.
1640550546502.png

Any questions?

In reading all the replies, we’re missing the real solution:
Go big and apply a W88 to the problem, we’re done and the tank is cooked.
Stand-off weapon.
No defense against it.
Eliminates tanker’s proximate comrades.
And we have a surplus in inventory and parts.
View attachment 7769709

Any questions?
Only one.
How do I go about acquiring such a weapon system for my own personal use. You know, just in case. I’m on a tight budget though.

Only one.
How do I go about acquiring such a weapon system for my own personal use. You know, just in case. I’m on a tight budget though.
If you meet him behind the headquarters of the Federal Bureau of Investigation in Washington, I’m sure he could hook you up.

i would think you could hit the hole at a fairly decent angle and it would rattle its way down the barrel to some varying amount.
anyway, accidentally put toilet bowl cleaner and bleach in the toilet at the same time, and i think that is bad unless you're using it on a hostile tank.

If you meet him behind the headquarters of the Federal Bureau of Investigation in Washington, I’m sure he could hook you up.
Well, I guess I’ll wait for a PM soon.
The FBI would never pass up an opportunity to fuck with a citizen if they got a chance.
It will be interesting to see who sends it, and hear what their financing options are. Lol

So if a bullet found its way down the barrel of a tank and if there was a round in it and if it wedged between the round and the barrel would it cause a substantial problem?
I would think it would still fire and though damage the barrel it would not disable the tank.

You know….. I once was heading south on MSR Tampa, back in 07 and just as we passed Taji (some of you know this area) we came to a bridge that just had a VBIED blast on it - we seen the blast and went over to investigate. After the smoke cleared we Haji’d over to the north bound lane and as we crest the bridge, so did an Iraqi tank with its long ass, big ass barrel, and as I sat behind my 50, for a split second I thought - I can take him. Haha I was literally about 15ft from that barrel pointing right at me. Doubt it was loaded, but thinking about it now, I know I could have taken em.

Probably not. Those guys are all hat but no cattle.
But you could hang out just north of the Amarillo airport on Highway 60 at 207 and wait for an 18 wheeler followed by an MRAP.
Flag them down and tell ‘em your the relief driver.

Let us know how that works out for you. :)

first thing i thought of when i read this is Id be more worried about the coaxially mounted machine gun slaved to a thermal next to the main gun even if you pulled off a really crazy shot down its barrel

How would a Tanks targeting system for the main gun fair if it took a hit from a .50?

View attachment 7769692

I am assuming here not a tank expert.

green is the driver optics, yellow is the laser rangefinder, red is the back up glass optic, blue is the guners camera optic sensors.

What if instead of shooting down the bore you take out the targeting system??
You missed the optics on the CROW system, fyi;)

• Sad
Reactions: GreenGO Juan
You know….. I once was heading south on MSR Tampa, back in 07 and just as we passed Taji (some of you know this area) we came to a bridge that just had a VBIED blast on it - we seen the blast and went over to investigate. After the smoke cleared we Haji’d over to the north bound lane and as we crest the bridge, so did an Iraqi tank with its long ass, big ass barrel, and as I sat behind my 50, for a split second I thought - I can take him. Haha I was literally about 15ft from that barrel pointing right at me. Doubt it was loaded, but thinking about it now, I know I could have taken em.
2006 I had a T55/54 fire its main gun downtown Baghdad next to me. I had no idea that we had given the Iraqi's main gun ammunition at that time. It took some focus to stay standing since I was inline with the muzzle in an urban environment. I probably wasn't worth a shit for about 10-15 minutes jus from the concussion.
Anyways, they shot the main gun at a guy with an AK and missed. The round went under the nose of one of my Apaches which caused them to break station (to probably change their shorts).

2006 I had a T55/54 fire its main gun downtown Baghdad next to me. I had no idea that we had given the Iraqi's main gun ammunition at that time. It took some focus to stay standing since I was inline with the muzzle in an urban environment. I probably wasn't worth a shit for about 10-15 minutes jus from the concussion.
Anyways, they shot the main gun at a guy with an AK and missed. The round went under the nose of one of my Apaches which caused them to break station (to probably change their shorts).
Ha Great times!

• Haha
Reactions: stefan73
Ha Great times!
I can't complain, I got mine. Besides some of the tragedy during and following it was a wild ride, we were like kings traveling through that land and everybody wanted a piece of us. These were from that same day with the T55/54 that I described above and right after when a PKM almost took the head off my truck one gunner. Wild ride!
Baghdad 06 1.jpg
Baghdad 06 2.jpg

What bipod is best for shooting down Mig-28's with a 6-Dasher?