• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can you solve my reloading mystery? (SOLVED-sorta)

Re: Can you solve my reloading mystery? (w/pics)

I would like to know if your brass is getting all the way up into the dies.....if you have a tall shell holder your brass wont get all the way in there....measure your shell holders height (measure the height of the lip...not the tab that is slid into the ram...make sense?) it could be having some problems because the shoulder isnt getting bumped back....

Once you get it measured.....measure some of the other ones you have....use the shortest one you have and load a couple rounds up....

ONE THING TO ADD.....remember with a CUSTOM rifle you need to be careful handing out information about loads....ESPECIALLY without knowing the chamber dimensions....you should have requested a copy of the reamer print....this SHOULD come with every custom rifle in my opinion....along with notes...

Food for thought---the suggested powder charges on here would blow my rifle up....with 42.0gr of rl-15 Im getting almost 2800fps with a 175 SMK...yes mines a very tight chamber.....Just saying to know your equipment....and be careful....

I have been fighting the same thing on a barrel set back in a 22-250. After calling around it seems forster makes the smallest base dies. Reddings are some of
the largest. I am getting a forster full length sizer before I head to the gunsmith to
open it up in the rear. I have to size down to well over .010 headspace before the
base gets small enough to chamber. New cases feed fine. I have a shell holder that
will let me drive it way up in the die, But that isn't an answer to anything. My speeds
also increased from 3500 to 3900 and showed over-pressure signs with the extact
same loads from the exact same batch. You can get a small base die and solve your
problem also, but I would mic your die and see what it is at the base first and you
may only need a standard base die in a different brand.

If the reamers from the gunsmith has been used alot. The gunsmith will send the reamer to get sharpen. Everyime the reamer gets sharpen you get a smaller dia. You should get about 6 rifles I believe out of 1 sharping. If this reamer has been sharpen a few times it maybe to small of a dia.

Brownells sells a product that you can cast the chamber. It is not suppose to hurt the gun. This will give you the exact measurement of your chamber. That will either be or not on this issue.

Hey Gunners-

I want to thank everyone for their help on trying to get me squared away on this issue. I've learned a TON about cartridges and reloading from it and after spending another day measuring, chambering, re-calibrating, reloading, remeasuring and realizing I've wasted an entire Sunday with my kids... I've come to the best solution:

<span style="font-weight: bold">RE-REAM and RE-CHAMBER this B*%CH!</span>

It seems the chamber is probably extra tight and there is no upside for me to have to buy separate dies and brass and coddling for my <span style="font-weight: bold">backup</span> stick. I'm going to find a reputable smith to turn it back and rechamber it.

Again much thanks for all your help, the Hide is an amazing group of guys always willing to help a fellow shooter!

Be safe, shoot straight,

Michael

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the reamers from the gunsmith has been used alot. The gunsmith will send the reamer to get sharpen. Everyime the reamer gets sharpen you get a smaller dia. You should get about 6 rifles I believe out of 1 sharping. If this reamer has been sharpen a few times it maybe to small of a dia. </div></div>

I think you nailed it dar. +1

Good luck. If nothing else this was the advance learning in reloading. That is where I learn most of the more tech. stuff about reloading. Get rechamber and you will have a great rifle. When you have it rechamber have the specs from the reamer. Also some Gunsmiths will send you a cut barrel piece of the chamber. This way you have a bit more to go on.

What a dumb a$$ I am. I didn't even put 2 + 2 together on your first brass pics when I looked at what I though was the resizing marks on the body of the brass.

In your last pics it jumped right out at me.

THOSE ARE CIRCUMFRENTIAL RINGS AROUND THE BRASS!

That means your chamber hasen't been polished, it still has machining marks in the chamber area. I'd be willing to bet if you unbent a paper clip and put a 1/8" 90* bend on the end and drug it up your chamber it would feel like dragging across a comb.

+1 to the undersized reamer but if it were me I'd try getting the chamber polished first and save the $$$ of a re-chamber. I'd be willing to bet a reputable gun plumber wouldn't charge you for a polish job if it got your stick up and made you want to come back to him.

.02 more.

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What a dumb a$$ I am. I didn't even put 2 + 2 together on your first brass pics when I looked at what I though was the resizing marks on the body of the brass.

That means your chamber hasen't been polished, it still has machining marks in the chamber area. I'd be willing to bet if you unbent a paper clip and put a 1/8" 90* bend on the end and drug it up your chamber it would feel like dragging across a comb.

+1 to the undersized reamer but if it were me I'd try getting the chamber polished first and save the $$$ of a re-chamber. I'd be willing to bet a reputable gun plumber wouldn't charge you for a polish job if it got your stick up and made you want to come back to him.

.02 more.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

Interesting! I will try the paperclip idea...

In a tapered case the reamer should not be smaller when sharpened. They are long
and should be backed up the taper to keep the size correct when ground. Hope
polishing does the trick for you.

Been reading this thread with great interest - alot of great ideas! I noticed you were unsure how to "calibrate" your calipers. Before I ever measure with my calipers, I always check the zero on them, weather in the machine shop or the reloading bench. Bring the anvils together until they are against each other. No light should be seen between them when held up to a light. Look at your dial, is the needle perfectly aligned with the zero? If so, the calipers are zeroed. If not, you will need to adjust the dial. Usually there is a screw or knob which can be loosened slightly so that the actual dial can be turned to line the 0 up with the needle.

You have been given a wealth of information on here, but if your measurements aren't accurate, you won't be able to use it correctly.

Only other advice is to start with basics and try the cheap fixes first.

Good luck

I rekon that because your chamber is a bit rough ( reamer marks).
When you load light and don't size down enough initially the case upon firing does not expand up enough to create any real spring back of the case walls . So the case remain a bit stuck as it was when first chambered.
When you load up a bit more the case walls are pushed hard against the chamber and the case stretches back that way the brass gets its full spring back helping extraction.
If you look at the chamber marks on the cases you can see the light loads have not expanded as far as the higher loads.
Polish the chamber and size the cases to an easy chambering fit and load up to a decent pressure and it should fix it.

I'm with Doc again...DUH!...the pic I thought was after resizing was actually right out of the chamber. I would get it polished or re-chambered to the right spec's. If the original gunsmith won't do it, it may cost you some bucks...but it should cost him his business if he doesn't make it right with you.

Michael:

Just curious! What did you brass measure at?

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Michael:

Just curious! What did you brass measure at?

Terry </div></div>

The heads for the factory and my full length reside load were the same, .469"

Factory 168 FGMM:
factory.jpg

My 175SMK reload:
reload.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChopperDawg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been reading this thread with great interest - alot of great ideas! I noticed you were unsure how to "calibrate" your calipers. Before I ever measure with my calipers, I always check the zero on them, weather in the machine shop or the reloading bench. Bring the anvils together until they are against each other. No light should be seen between them when held up to a light. Look at your dial, is the needle perfectly aligned with the zero? If so, the calipers are zeroed. If not, you will need to adjust the dial. Usually there is a screw or knob which can be loosened slightly so that the actual dial can be turned to line the 0 up with the needle.

You have been given a wealth of information on here, but if your measurements aren't accurate, you won't be able to use it correctly.

Only other advice is to start with basics and try the cheap fixes first.

Good luck</div></div>

GOOD FIRST POST!!

And I also thought that the pic of your brass was after sizing....

And one of the smiths on here should help you out with minimal cost if any....

RWSGunsmith is a good guy....maybe look him up on here and see what he has to say....he has VERY reasonable prices on other things too.....

But the issue is with his reloads........ Factory ammo is OK.
That picture of the fired case(his reload)is classic "over-pressure"(to much powder).
And was running the case O.A.L. at max so that didn't help one bit on a min. H/S, short leade chamber.
Respectfully,
LG

OK- my OPPS I forgot that the Fed. Fac case came from ANOTHER gun.....
Knowing that, now I agree that the chamber needs to be cleaned up.
(Damn GOOD pictures BTW)
That so called smith that would NOT help you, he built the gun right, do you want to let us know his name so he can't do to the rest of us what he did to you?
Respectfully,
LG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What a dumb a$$ I am. I didn't even put 2 + 2 together on your first brass pics when I looked at what I though was the resizing marks on the body of the brass.

That means your chamber hasen't been polished. </div></div>

<span style="font-size: 14pt">
<span style="color: #000099">CONFIRMED! I THINK WE HAVE A WINNER!!</span></span>

This morning I opened the safe and took a look down the "problem child's" chamber and could see very slight rings in it, only to be confirmed by the paperclip-- it is rough inside. At first I thought, well maybe it's not that bad but when I took out my GAP and looked in that chamber... it was SMOOTH like a mirror!

Seems the builder (who will remain nameless) sent out a stick with an unpolished chamber. I don't know why factory ammo works and reloads don't... but I'll tell you Doc was right about the chamber.

Nice work Doc. Again thanks for everyone's input. I'm gonna polish that chamber and get back to you.