• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cannon 48 gun safe gun rack?

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    I bought this safe a bit ago:
    Cannon TS6040 Wide Body Safe, 48 Gun Capacity - Tractor Supply Co.

Let me tell you, thank goodness I went way bigger than needed. I have 5 rifles, and its already jam packed in there! The main problem seems to be the shitty gun rack it comes with, which is very bad for optimizing space (unless maybe all your rifles are small scopeless hunting rifles).

I have it setup just like in the second picture on the tractorsupply website. With shelves on the right and gun rack on the left. As I said, I can only fit 5 rifles or so (mare are big with big scopes and bipods and etc.) Is there aftermarket gun racks to put in there, instead of the slotted one that comes with it. I was thinking something thats a gun rack that goes along the edges. That way I would be be to fit atleast 6 to 8 rifles, and have easy access space in the middle for more ammo and stuff.

I know I can get creative and fit alot more rifles in there if I jam pack it. However, I want everything relatively easy access, and I don't want to have to spend 5 minutes moving stuff , just to get the rifle in the back.

Any suggestions?

Many take out the bolts so that rifles can fit closer together. There are several aftermarket solutions to fit more items in a small space but I like mine just the opposite. I have 3 safes (28/39/65) and I prefer not to stack stuff two or three deep and have to move a bunch of stuff to get what I need. I will have to pull up a pic of the one you are describing to get a better idea of what you have.

Keep the upper shelf and rip everything out and start over. You can build a better interior then the one provided.

From the photo it looks like the rack is one solid piece from one side to the other. You may need to cut it on the centerline to leave a shelf on the right and build something for the left side or take the whole thing out and build your own

From the photo it looks like the rack is one solid piece from one side to the other. You may need to cut it on the centerline to leave a shelf on the right and build something for the left side or take the whole thing out and build your own

That's right, and I agree about what I have to do. However I don't have much expertise in the 'build something' category. That's why I was looking for aftermarket commercial options

Surely someone does make something, you can google your heart out over it. It'll never be just right for YOU though. Grab a jigsaw, some plywood (you can get 24x48" pieces at lowes/home depot if you don't want to wrestle a whole sheet), some carpet and 3m aerosol adhesive to stick it on (if you have a stereo shop around go there for carpet & glue).

Surely someone does make something, you can google your heart out over it. It'll never be just right for YOU though. Grab a jigsaw, some plywood (you can get 24x48" pieces at lowes/home depot if you don't want to wrestle a whole sheet), some carpet and 3m aerosol adhesive to stick it on (if you have a stereo shop around go there for carpet & glue).

I might have to make a project out of this...

I just think my semi circle rifle slots will look like jagged ovals by the time I'm done with the jigsaw haha

You could always contact a local cabinet maker that does custom work and have them come out and build whatever you want in there.

Who says the slots have to be semi-circles? I'd bet you own (or need) a drill. Which means you own or need a set of hole saws for it (harbor freight is just fine unless you're making a living with them).
    Draw it out first, but you might use something like a 1-1/2" hole saw, and center it say 2" from the edge of your board. Then you use a jigsaw (or handsaw even) to open up the "slot" which leaves you with a nice 1-1/2" wide slot that is 2-3/4" deep. Sand the edges before you carpet it, use the money saved to buy beer & bullets :)