• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Can't decide on a range finder

pyplynr

Minuteman
Apr 4, 2010
Oklahoma
I can't decide on which range finder to get. Each has my intrest.
Help me out guys.

Bushnell Fusion 1600 ARC 10x42 Range finding binos
I can also use these for spotters, heard great reviews on ranging to advertised range, but have also seen reviews of a blueish tint in the glass

or

Leica CRF 1600 Range finders
theses are great optic quality, small and lightweight

Re: Can't decide on a range finder

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dont forget the Swaro </div></div>

Those are just a touch out of my price range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sps varmint.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Bushnell elite 1500 </div></div>

I've had one of these for a couple years now,no complaints so far.

How are these with non-reflective targets at 1000+ yards? At my personal range there aren't any trees in the background. Only thing to range off of is a dirt berm I built with our excavator and dozer.

Wouldn't go to a big match again without bino rangefinders. Bushnell 1600s.

The swaros can be found as dealer samples for about $800, one particular dealer often has them and I think they are a sponsor here. I think the swaro is worth the extra money, you can always ask a dealer to drop there price as there is a decent markup on optics. Try a couple of the hide sponsors, no harm in trying.

What is your price range? You could save alittle more and pick up a pair of the Leica Geovids. The HD ones right now are running around $2400, but oyu should be able to find the non hd ones in either 10x42 or 8x42 for around $1400ish....

I have been testing a set of the 1600 binos
for rangefinding I have been very impressed with them with the following caveat:
in bright daylight, the digital readout can be hard to see, even at the max setting. They blow my Leupold RXIIs away, no contest.

For binos: I find them "finicky", my Nikon 8.5-56 Monarchs are SO much easier to use, better glass and significantly better in low light.

With the above comments taken into consideration, they are still a very good option, especially not having to have a seperate set of binos and range finders

price range around the $800 mark + or - a few $.

There was a used Swaro for $700 on this site a couple days ago.

I used mine last pm and ranged a distant field at 1786 yards, repeated, same exact reading. The conditions were ideal. It will range to 1000-1100 yards in all conditions that I have encountered.

I just bought the 1600 arc's last month. I was able to compare them against the Leica 1600 at the store with the salesman. We went outside and he ranged a tree at 1100+ with the Leica and I got the same with the Bushnell. Then we switched and I could not get the Leica to range the tree after several tries. Switched back again and he couldn't range the tree either.

So I bought the Bushnell 1600. Out in the field the first time the best I could get was just under 1850 on trees. Dirt was about 100 or so less. Using them around home the best I could get was 1750. This is about the extent of my usage so far.

Under the best conditions my bullets will go subsonic at 1350-1400. The Bushnell's will range that distance anything anytime so I am good to go.

Yes. they are big compared to the tiny Leica's. For some reason I haven't noticed the blue tint. I'll have to take them out today and see if I can see it.

I have the Fusion ARC bino's. I was one of the one's mentioning the blueish tint. Don't let that sway you either way. They are plenty clear. They are noticeably not as clear as the swaro's or the leica's by any means, but they're plenty clear edge to edge. The blueish tint is not distracting. The rangefinder on them is excellent. As far as the optics though, they are more than adequate to be used as a bino.

Tell you something about range finder distances. Range finder distances should read something like this.

First of all, the larger and more reflective (reflective for the frequency used by the rangefinder, which is not necessarily the same as light reflectivity) the object, the further out one can range. Best reflectivity for my Swarovski is white metal. A flat, white metal, LARGE building can be ranged reliably out to, oh, maybe 1500 yards or so. I have ranged further than that under ideal atmospheric conditions (usually NOT bright sunlight).

Small object like my 10" metal target can usually be ranged out to 1000 yards. USUALLY, not always.

Deer or antelope are less reflective and not really much bigger than the 10" round metal, they can USUALLY be ranged out to 900 yards, sometimes further. I have ranged a cow out to 1200 yards.

I've used quite a few of the rangefinders and find the Swarovski is the best for under $1000. The glass is fantastic. My only gripe is it is a monocular. Binocular would be better. Would also be nice if it had a reticle for calling misses. Initially the color of the ranging circle seems a bit hard to see, but I got used to it, no problem at all. I keep a spare battery, but I range a lot and haven't needed to change the battery in 6 months. I continue to be impressed with the ranging capability and clarity of glass of the Swarovski rangefinder.

Zeiss PRF can be had for the price of the leica if you shop around. Just to through another choice in there. Are you absolutely seat on 1600+? Zeiss with go to 1300yds. It have a binocular grip in a sense designed to be gripped from each horizontal side, and it's light weight.

my vote is for bushnell
I've been testing a pair for a sof unit for a couple months now and they are impressive.
the clarity on both pairs (10x42, 12x50)i have is AMAZING. battery life is well, lets see i got them right after christmas and haven't changed the battery YET. i had to ask my guys if they changed it b/c i thought there was no way it could still be going on the same one..
ranging abilities, well lets just say for civilian use, i doubt you will try engaging something at 1.2k in the rain so you are good. i have had no problems or issues with these and the best part is they aren't SUPER expensive like other rangefinder binos... go for it you won't be dissapointed

I agree with sniperaviator on the clarity of the Swaro glass.

My buddy has the Bushnell Elite 1500 LRF and it is no comparison. We were shooting his 7mm Rem Mag at 1007 yards (the Bushnell would not read the target, Swaro read it first try) and I was able to call his first three shots on a 15x25 inch plate with the Swaro 8x range finder. He couldn't believe it!

I have some regular Bushnell binoculars and will no longer be carrying those when I turkey/deer hunt. I will take the Swarovski LRF instead!

LADD-
do not confuse the bushnell 1500's with the fusion 1600 arc's TOTALLY diffent products

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchinOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought the 1600 arc's last month. I was able to compare them against the Leica 1600 at the store with the salesman. We went outside and he ranged a tree at 1100+ with the Leica and I got the same with the Bushnell. Then we switched and I could not get the Leica to range the tree after several tries. Switched back again and he couldn't range the tree either.

So I bought the Bushnell 1600. Out in the field the first time the best I could get was just under 1850 on trees. Dirt was about 100 or so less. Using them around home the best I could get was 1750. This is about the extent of my usage so far.

Under the best conditions my bullets will go subsonic at 1350-1400. The Bushnell's will range that distance anything anytime so I am good to go.

Yes. they are big compared to the tiny Leica's. For some reason I haven't noticed the blue tint. I'll have to take them out today and see if I can see it.</div></div>

Had my Bushnell 1600's out today and the blue tint is noticeable if you look for it. The best I could range was 1859 yards on fir trees.

a big + 1 for the swarovski!! I just bought a pair of these about 3 weeks ago and every single day I am more and more impressed. I have a ton of land on my ranch with a lot of cattle roaming around. On a slightly foggy day I can range cows out to 800+ with no problems. On clear days I have ranched trucks, campers, and small buildings at a little over 1900 yards. Besides my rifles I must say that this has been my best purchase yet. Its not everyday that I am 100% happy/impressed with anything. I am a perfectionist....I demand perfect, and these Swaro's are the ticket my friend.
Trust me, you will not be dissapointed.

smaller and lighter weight=harder to hold still and get a good return signal.

I have a Leica LRF 1200 and the only time I got something at 1200 was a three story building with windowless tilt panel walls.

I really like the Bushnell 1600ARC that my buddies have picked up and if I could afford to replace my Leica I would.

Just pulled the trigger on some Swaro's in the classifieds! Figured I could sell my bowhunting range finders and use the Swaro's for both.

That was a good move! Trust me you wont regret your purchase. After ya test drive them be sure to hop back on here and let us know what you think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dutch405</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was a good move! Trust me you wont regret your purchase. After ya test drive them be sure to hop back on here and let us know what you think. </div></div>

Will do. Do you have any info on the match around Alex since it's not to far from you? I'm up here around Kingfisher.

Nobody seems to have mentioned the Steiner 10x50 Military Binoculars Laser Rangefinder, they are not cheap ~$2,800. Does anyone know anything about them? I like the idea of the RF integrated into a pair of rugged binocs.

The Bushnell ARC Fusion 1600s have a top notch range finder, but the Binos are not that great. Compared to my Leica Geovids (old glass), Leupold Gold Ring HD Binos, Swaro 8x30s, they are not close.
Got to decide what is more important ranging or glassing. Better to get the Leica CRF 1600 ot the Swaro for pure ranging.

why do some of you go for the leica 1600, which is basically the same as the leica 1000 with a ballistic program?

edit: uh. my fault. seems a looked at the wrong data sheet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">price range around the $800 mark + or - a few $. </div></div>

Come in and look at the Swaro. I think it's going to be the best for that kinda money. Also, don't think all lrf are created equal. I've seen many of alot of different brands and it is not at all uncommon to see one unit shine while others are just ok. Even of the same brand. Come in and we can look at the 10 or so we have instock and pic a good one
smile.gif

Let us know how you like the swaro. I just picked up an leica 1200 rangemaster crf - the best i could range was the roof of a house 1135yds away. You have to hold it really still! and maybe be braced against something or rest it against something (i used the door frame i was looking out), otherwise it might not read.

I have a set of the Bushnell fusion. While grading a stress test I could read trace on 7.62 out to 400 meters with them. For the money they are a great combo item.
I really like Vectronix PLRF's. We have had great success with them.

i'd run the swarovski, built in tripod adapter and easy to hold. the only problem is sometimes the light sensor acts wacky