• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Can't decide on a Scope, any Suggestions?

TaergEno

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2014
Hey All,

So I have a question for all you experienced shooters out there.

I recently bought a Wby MkV Accumark .338 Lapua.

I am trying to decide on a scope for this rifle. The main use for the rifle will be hunting with target shooting coming in second.

I think I have narrowed it down to the NF ATACR or the Vortex Gen II, either the 4.5-27 or the 3-18.
Other scope suggestions are welcome.

I want to be able to dial the scope for elevation.
I am not sure if I 'Need' FFP but it is a nice feature.
I prefer MOA to MIL (just what I started with and is just easier to understand for me).

If you could provide a little detail as to why your suggesting a specific scope that would be much appreciated (instead of just saying XXXX scope).

If you want more information please ask and I will provide what I can.

**Updated**
To answer the budget questions: My budget is ~$2500.
I have a rangefinder, so I would probably not use FFP for ranging purposes (as long as my Rangefinder is working correctly).

Last edited:
With the recoil of the 338LM, I'd go with the NF. You're not going to have problems with it.

FFP all the way. Get it and never look back.

This comment i hate seeing... first of all WHY ffp?

To op i think atacr is more than enough. I switch component only if proven it will give me better accuracy.having ffp vs sfp will not gain accuracy..(right tool for right job) i prefer moa and sfp on mostly my target or hunting rifle..ffp mainly to calculate distance easier but i have a rangefinder so not for me:)

This comment i hate seeing... first of all WHY ffp?

To op i think atacr is more than enough. I switch component only if proven it will give me better accuracy.having ffp vs sfp will not gain accuracy..(right tool for right job) i prefer moa and sfp on mostly my target or hunting rifle..ffp mainly to calculate distance easier but i have a rangefinder so not for me:)

I get the ATACR, it's good and solid. Nice for 338 and solid glass, best glass for Nightforce maybe next to the beast BUT…... But I have to agree that base 10/mil is just easier on the brain.

To the OP! If your shooting 338 just get something that will allow you to dial as many mills or moa as possible. The Vortex GII in 27x looks like fucking cool shit and perfect for this with the addition of a 40moa base/mount.

I have SnB25x and Premier 25x both only dial out too 26 mills. Think the Vortex will let you dial out to 30 mils.

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for the comments/suggestions thus far.

To answer the Budget question: My budget is ~$2500 (The Vortex Gen II 4.5-27 is pretty much at the top of my budget).

I also have a rangefinder (Bushnell Elite 1-mile ARC), so I probably would not use the FFP for ranging purposes.

Why does it have to be such a hard decision to make...

It also sucks that none of the shops around me stock any high end glass, so I can't even go to a shop and look through/compare anything.

With the recoil of the 338LM, I'd go with the NF. You're not going to have problems with it.

He won't have any problems with the Razor II either. But seeing as most .338s have brakes recoil isn't an issue.

TaergEno , ranging with the reticle is actually one of the lower things on the list that make a FFP reticle useful. Using it on any power for elevation or windage holds, shot corrections and moving targets without having to worry about conversions far outweigh ranging. You will probably rarely use it for ranging but if using the rifle for anything other than known distance shooting then the FFP comes into play as a very useful feature.

Also another argument, and usually the biggest one, is that the FFP reticle is too heavy at max power to use at distance on smaller targets. We all know that a FFP reticle doesn't cover anymore of the target at 10x as it would at 27x but the appearance is what people see. It's not an issue with a properly designed reticle like the Vortex 2C. The open center is .25MOA, or about 2.6" at 1000 yards and the line width itself is only .1 MOA or 1.047" at 1000 so you can see that that reticle on max power will not cover up too much of any target.

I have a USO ER-25 available for sale if you are interested. Also - if post where you are - members may be able to help you find a way to sample high-end glass.

U.S. OPTICS - ER-25

Thank you for the offer, but I think I will have to pass on it. While I know they are excellent scopes, I am just not a fan of their 'look'.

Rob, thank you for the information on the FFP reticle. I do like the usefulness of the FFP for 'unknown' distance shooting. I have looked into an FFP scope before, and the 'enlarging' reticle does not bother me all that much. I am definitely leaning towards the Gen II though. I especially like the way the turrets function on it (locking, shorter and fatter, etc.).

I am stuck between the 3-18 and the 4.5-27 though on the Gen II (If I go the Gen II route). I feel that the 3-18 will work just as well for what I will be using it for in the immediate future. But I feel that if I get the 3-18, later down the road I may regret not getting the higher powered 4.5-27.

What do you think?

Go with the 4.5-27x. You won't miss the 1.5x on the bottom but the extra 9x on top is nice to have. You can always dial it down to 18x and less but you can't dial up the 18x to 27x.

Also the FFP isn't just for unknown distance targets but for known distance in where you will be using holds or corrections or engaging multiple targets at different ranges. Makes life easier not having to figure out what power you are on or figuring out a math problem to get the right hold for the power you are on.

Go with the 4.5-27x. You won't miss the 1.5x on the bottom but the extra 9x on top is nice to have. You can always dial it down to 18x and less but you can't dial up the 18x to 27x.

Also the FFP isn't just for unknown distance targets but for known distance in where you will be using holds or corrections or engaging multiple targets at different ranges. Makes life easier not having to figure out what power you are on or figuring out a math problem to get the right hold for the power you are on.

Got it! Was not sure if the low end between the 3 and 4.5 would be much or not.

The ability to use holds/make corrections and such does sound like it makes life much easier.

Any suggestions on who would be a good vendor to preorder the MOA version from?

Any suggestions on who would be a good vendor to preorder the MOA version from?

Check with any of the SH Vendors who are Vortex dealers like Mike at CS Tactical, Scott at Liberty Optics or Doug at Camera Land, Euro Optics and Sport Optics as well. All will be helpful.

My next l/r scope will be the vortex 4.5-27. It's one of those scopes that will still be amazing far into the future and at a really good price.

Check with any of the SH Vendors who are Vortex dealers like Mike at CS Tactical, Scott at Liberty Optics or Doug at Camera Land, Euro Optics and Sport Optics as well. All will be helpful.

Sounds good!

I will get a hold of them and see what can be done.

Hey All,

I am trying to decide on a scope for this rifle. The main use for the rifle will be hunting with target shooting coming in second.

I think I have narrowed it down to the NF ATACR or the Vortex Gen II, either the 4.5-27 or the 3-18.
Other scope suggestions are welcome.

I want to be able to dial the scope for elevation.
I am not sure if I 'Need' FFP but it is a nice feature.
I prefer MOA to MIL (just what I started with and is just easier to understand for me).

If you could provide a little detail as to why your suggesting a specific scope that would be much appreciated (instead of just saying XXXX scope).

If you want more information please ask and I will provide what I can.

**Updated**
To answer the budget questions: My budget is ~$2500.
I have a rangefinder, so I would probably not use FFP for ranging purposes (as long as my Rangefinder is working correctly).
This rifle sounds interesting, to say the least, what brand barrel (and length) are you running?

If you can go $2500 get the Gen2 Razor 4.5X27 or you could get the Razor HD 5X20 if you look around they can be had for $1800. You can put the other $200 toward a 1piece mount.

Hey All,

I'm sure you'll get lots of good scope suggestions. I'm more interested in what you're planning to hunt with your 338LM??:)

This rifle sounds interesting, to say the least, what brand barrel (and length) are you running?

Here is a link to the rifle Wby MkV Accumark R.C..
It is their R.C. Accumark, chambered in .338 Lapua.

It is this MkV Accumark .338 Lapua but with the above Range Certified stuff.

Button-rifled, #3 contour, chrome moly free-floated barrel with recessed target crown.
Matte bead blasted blued finish

Specs:
Barrel: RH 26" (28" w/accubrake)
Contour: #3
Twist: 1-9.3"
Length of Pull: 13 5/8 "

I'm sure you'll get lots of good scope suggestions. I'm more interested in what you're planning to hunt with your 338LM??:)

Well, pretty much anything that moves and I am allowed to shoot.

I have some 210gr Scirocco II that I am using to reload with for general hunting.
Once I am confident enough in my skills to hunt at 'long range' I will most likely bump that up to a heavier bullet.

**Update**
My Bad for two posts in a row, I thought it would append this post to my previous one.

If you can go $2500 get the Gen2 Razor 4.5X27 or you could get the Razor HD 5X20 if you look around they can be had for $1800. You can put the other $200 toward a 1piece mount.
Currently, I have a Near Picatinny rail on the rifle. I was waiting to get my scope before I invest in a set of rings. Figured I would decide on the ring configuration once I got a scope.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, I read, a while back-that Wby was making this type of rifle, but remember reading they were putting Kreiger barrels on the one I was reading about. I see now they have several models, Please post your load work, and how it shoots for you. I'm glad to see Wby making this rifle, it may turn out to be a force......

Thanks for the link, I read, a while back-that Wby was making this type of rifle, but remember reading they were putting Kreiger barrels on the one I was reading about. I see now they have several models, Please post your load work, and how it shoots for you. I'm glad to see Wby making this rifle, it may turn out to be a force......

You're welcome for the links.

I think only the TRR R.C. version of the .338 Lapua has the Krieger barrel. Not sure what the brand is on the Accumark.

I am currently in the process of working up a load for the rifle using the 210gr Scirocco II's.

I am hoping to have the load worked up this coming weeking (pending range time). I will definitely post my load data/work once I get it all said and done.

The rifle seems to be shooting well thus far while messing around with Nosler Trophy Grade 225gr Accubond factory ammunition.

This is the ammunition I am going to use, if I end up not getting a chance to work up my loads before hunting season comes along (but I have a little over a month, so I should be able to get it done).

Last edited: