• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can't find any good wood stocked rifles anymore

All my guns are aluminum, fiberglass or plastic. I need a beautiful wood hunting rifle, budget up to $5k without scope. My LGS has some Weatherbys on the rack, but I have plenty of middle-of-the-road calibers in bolt and AR formats from .223 up to 280AI. Honestly, the weatherbys didn't feel any better than the Browning Xbolt they had in wood. In fact the browning xbolt with the aluminum action felt great, almost too great.

I don't have a bolt action 30 I don't own a .243 so guess I need to change that (.243 or 300 win mag). Opposite ends of the spectrum I know, but I'll eventually get both. I looked into buying a blank and having it carved and going full custom, but I don't think I'm ready for that process, and the hand carving + wood + barrel + action + trigger etc will exceed my budget probably.

I've looked at all the big American manufacturers and I like the Winchester 70 Super Grade French Walnut over any Weatherby offerings.

You can find Cooper's online, but not from them directly as they transition to Nighthawk ownership. This brings me then over to the European manufacturers. The top end of my budget is the bottom end of Blaser pricing, so I'm out for that. I think I can get a good-looking Merkel Helix, Sako or JP Sauer & Sohn for $5k but finding them online where I can add to cart and buy has been a bit more difficult than I anticipated, especially Merkel. Plus the straight pull bolt would be a new thing for my collection.

If you were to buy a wood stocked gun these days, with an emphasis on beautiful wood, classic lines, what maker would you go for? Are there smaller gun makers I may have overlooked?
There is some nice wood out there, but $5,000 is just on the edge of great. You can get some very nice wood in that range, but wood is scarce, and great wood costs more than that. I like Blaser and you can spec the wood you want. They will even let you go pick it out, but that means a trip to Germany.

Yes, and you can pick the piece of wood with them also. They are made to order.

You can also get off your rear and learn a new skill and make your own stock from scratch or finish a 80% stock from a stock maker.
Are you sitting on your ass as you type that ? What a fucked up rude thing to say .

There is some nice wood out there, but $5,000 is just on the edge of great. You can get some very nice wood in that range, but wood is scarce, and great wood costs more than that. I like Blaser and you can spec the wood you want. They will even let you go pick it out, but that means a trip to Germany.
BULLSHIT ! Plenty of Great wood out there for less than 5k . I just love how people talk out their asses here. Fantasy land.

BULLSHIT ! Plenty of Great wood out there for less than 5k . I just love how people talk out their asses here. Fantasy land.
Have you looked at the prices of wood on some of the high end rifles?

50EA952F-2AC8-4500-A5D1-8006B0140966.jpeg

This is the Griffin and Howe All American rifle built with a proof barrel and a Mausingfield action. If you subtract the cost of the barreled action and rings that stock costs $19,000

Or take a look at Accurate Innovations, they make rifle stocks and their base price is $1,129 plus the price adder for the blank can run upwards of $2,900. Once you add in checkering, grip caps, recoil pads and sling studs the total price can be pushing $7,000.

So sure you can get a Boyd’s stock for cheap but anything above mediocre is going to cost a bunch, far more than a quality Carbon Fiber stock.

Have you looked at the prices of wood on some of the high end rifles?

View attachment 8108469

This is the Griffin and Howe All American rifle built with a proof barrel and a Mausingfield action. If you subtract the cost of the barreled action and rings that stock costs $19,000

Or take a look at Accurate Innovations, they make rifle stocks and their base price is $1,129 plus the price adder for the blank can run upwards of $2,900. Once you add in checkering, grip caps, recoil pads and sling studs the total price can be pushing $7,000.

So sure you can get a Boyd’s stock for cheap but anything above mediocre is going to cost a bunch, far more than a quality Carbon Fiber stock.

That’s a rather uninspiring stock for $19,000.

I’m sure some of that $19,000 was name recognition, gunsmithing fees, and stock maker fees.

Give me $5,000 and I’ll find you a blank that blows that stock away, and spend the leftover funds on hookers.