• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Can't keep barrel from spinning in vise

nso123

High Speed Steel Stinger
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2010
Tennessee
I can't keep the barrel of my Rem 700 from spinning in the vise as I try to remove the barrel from the action. I would like to keep the barrel in good shape to sell it. I am using wood blocks with grooves to hold the barrel in the vise. I don't think I can crank it down any tighter. Anybody have any tips?

Re: Can't keep barrel from spinning in vise

I had looked for resin on Midway and Brownells, but can't find it. Is there another source, or substitute?

^what he said. In a pinch you can wrap the barrel in damp newspaper with confectioner's sugar sprinkled over it. It acts as a poor man's rosin.

Rosin - http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-...n-prod1123.aspx

Factory Remington 700's can be a pain to get off sometimes. Typically heat applied from a small propane torch around the threaded shank area will help. Remington puts some gunky crap in there. Ifyou cant get it off, heat it up and take a decent size hammer and wack your action wrench, once you break it lose you can spin it off by hand. It has always worked for me.

Kc

Reactions: WAMBO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RESIN </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NSO123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had looked for resin on Midway and Brownells, but can't find it. Is there another source, or substitute? </div></div>

there's a difference between resin and rosin
wink.gif

i haven't needed to use it with my vise with aluminum bushings though.

Wood blocks are useless. A properly-sized set of aluminum clamp blocks will remove a factory barrel without leaving a mark.

Try finding rosin at a sporting goods store. Pitchers use it. That's where I found mine. Also, the aluminum inserts do not mar much and the aluminum streaks can be removed with a bit of oil and steel wool.

Reactions: dirtybores

Go to the nearest bowling alley and get a rosin bag.

Just like they said already, wood blocks suck for that job, especially on a factory barreled action from Remington. Wrap a sheet of paper sprinkled with rosin around the barrel. Put it in a set of aluminum blocks for the diameter of your barrel. Using a wrap around action wrench break it free. Remember that a regular vice will only apply pressure on two sides, unlike a barrel vise that applies even pressure all the way around the barrel. This does make a difference. Best of luck.

For really stubborn ones I've had good luck with a sprinkling of 80 grit blast cabinet media. It will mark the barrel though.

Sako TRG's can be cranky at times and this has worked well for me.

I had this problem and I just wrapped the barrel with some painters tape where the blocks were going. Then switched it over to get a double sided effect. It worked for me, but I was holding on to a Savage barrel. I'm not sure if the remington 700 is torqued more.

Chuck the barrel up in a lathe with a 4-jaw, and machine off the recoil lug. I had to do this on one particular action I owned. Not heat, nor might was going to take off that particular barrel. To do all over again, I'd have saved a lot of grief and anguish if I'd had just machined off the lug, all the way down to the threads, right away. Not even messed with trying to clamp the barrel down. Yep.

Get a piece of 40 grit stikit sand paper and wrap it around the barrel adhesive side down. The glue won't mark the barrel and the grit of the paper will bite into the wood. But aluminum bushings fit to the barrel are your best bet.

Chad... I have to wonder if the Sako TRG you just re-barreled in 260 (and fixed the bolt handle) was one of those cranky ones

And the winner is......brown sugar!! Put in between the blocks and barrel, and it spun right off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NSO123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And the winner is......brown sugar!! Put in between the blocks and barrel, and it spun right off. </div></div>
Glad to see that it came off. Never thought of brown sugar. Great idea though.

Yeah those factory barrels can be a bitch. I've used the wooden block type and the aluminum type vises. What works the best for me after cinching the barrel down is to really smack the handle of the action wrench with either a hammer or dead blow. The shock after 2-3 times works like an impact wrench to loosen and works well for me.

Just dry white sugar in the barrel blocks, and enough heat on the action to make a drop of water bubble works for me. 200-300 deg F won't hurt anything. Will soften goo in the threads, tho.

Old rodeo bull riding/ baseball players trick, rub some glycerin soap (clear burnt orange looking soap) on area to be treated with rosin(pine tar), rosin sticks like glue to the soap I guarantee it wont slip after you try this method... If you can warm up the barrel friction with a rag/leather strap will do it.....(think polishing it)
So rub soap on DRY barrel sprinkle powdered rosin(pine tar) on the soaped up area and rub the area real quick with the leather strap or rag/or hairdryer works awesome and I bet money it will get sticky as hell... use wood blocks and vise remove barrel, once barrel is removed you can wash off sticky shit with hand cleaner or tar and bug remover wont hurt the barrel at all... You can also do the same treatment to wood block... Why do you think major league baseball players bats look so nasty??? Rosin/Glycerin soap....
I wasnt smart enough to play baseball, bulls are more exciting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NSO123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And the winner is......brown sugar!! Put in between the blocks and barrel, and it spun right off.</div></div>

Glad to hear that worked for you!

Sheet rock paper tape wrapped a few times has always been the best for me. Works really well and a roll will last forever. I have it laying around every time I sheet rock a house so, that makes it a lot easier for me but still it's cheap and works better than anything I've tried, including leather and thr variants of it.