• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cant tell.

CK_32

Saving Ryans Privates
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2010
Are these stress cracks, markings or just deep scratches?

DSCN1014.jpg
DSCN1019.jpg

Last night I was cleaning up my brass and I noticed these 2 cases had these marking that look like stress cracks but its only on the exterior. They are from factory ammo 145g so I doubt its from a over loaded round and they have only been fired once. I'm thinking scrap it to be on the safe side but the more brass I can keep the better. It doesn't show through the lip of the case either reason I think It could just be a scratch and the inside looks fine as well.

So what do you guys think. Cracks or just a scratch from the gravel?

Re: Cant tell.

from what I can tell in the pics, those are cracks and will be completely thru probably on next firing. Win brass?

It looks like deep scratches to me, but pics are not always the best measure of physical damage like that.

I'd go ahead and run it through a sizer and see how it comes out. If the neck comes out clean, then I'd reload it. If the neck cracks, then it's into the recycling pile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">from what I can tell in the pics, those are cracks and will be completely thru probably on next firing. Win brass?
</div></div>

Yes sir they are from the 145g factory ammo $20 boxes. I bought 200 rounds on sale a while back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hink</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like deep scratches to me, but pics are not always the best measure of physical damage like that.

I'd go ahead and run it through a sizer and see how it comes out. If the neck comes out clean, then I'd reload it. If the neck cracks, then it's into the recycling pile. </div></div>

So I should just go ahead and re size them and see what I get before I go scrap them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hink</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'd go ahead and run it through a sizer and see how it comes out. If the neck comes out clean, then I'd reload it. If the neck cracks, then it's into the recycling pile. </div></div>

I agree with hink!

one way to find out, resize them and see what you get. you aint going to blow up if they give on ya while firing, not at that location.