• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Carbon Baked in Barrel please help.

What’s your fave solvent or method for carbon rings? Sadly ive not cleaned a lot of my crap in a long time and am a bit concerned worth carbon left in there at this point, in pretty much everything I own.

I use clr followed by wipe out usually

Reactions: SilentStalkr
So I’m curious, for those that have polished out carbon rings, did your barrel start to copper foul at a much faster rate after the polishing? We had to lightly polish this one to get the ring out but now I’m a bit worried that we may have made the situation worse. With that said, before it had gotten so bad that I couldn’t chamber anything anymore and when and if I could I was popping primers due to the pressures, so in effect with the ring it was a paperweight. It may still be a paperweight but at least now it should fire.

Solvent will flow through a foam ear plug.
Yup. Learned this the hard way. Possum hollow bore guide with a nice tight fitting o ring. Plugged the bore guide with one of those yellow and pink foam ear plugs. Filled the barrel with C4 carbon remover and leaned the rifle up against the wall overnight. Seemed to be holding but in the morning I saw it made it through the ear plug and started dripping on my cheek rest. Dissolved the glue on my cheek pad. That was it for the earplugs.

Some brands melt and some will last overnite.

If that's all you have available make sure your backup container under it all is big enough.
The Radian orange foam plugs don’t melt with overnight exposure to C4 carbon remover, but they are sufficiently porous that the solvent just leaks through them.

Cut the finger off a “rubber glove”. Put the foamy in the finger tip. Insert into muzzle, or chamber if that’s your style.