• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carbon fiber stock finish

Draftpick

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2020
I just got in a very popular brand 100% carbon fiber stock in and I’m a little disappointed so far it’s basically raw just a painted on finish and my couple of manners stocks are gel coated did not realize that, I had to look it up and surprised this brand does not seal or put a clear coat on it and the website photos look to have a sheen. When I ordered on the phone I don’t remember the option of a clear coat, so my question is can I finish this with a matte clear coat? Will any kind work, does it need to be a gel? I don’t have any faith in the painted on finish holding up not being sealed already one small flak off on the grip just from the shipping. I don’t really want to send it back for a refund looking for options to make the stock where I would be happy and the finish to hold up.

I would use a 2 part automotive type clear coat or atleast something like Duracoat.
I recently stripped, blasted and refinished a non carbon stock from a well know maker and was greatly disappointed in what it looked like under the thick coating. The entire bolt relief area was made of bondo. Its covered in pinholes and air bubbles. But I enjoyed refinishing it and making it pretty.

Who’s stock is it? How bout a picture? Have you talked to the maker yet?
Not looking to bash anyone or point fingers just asking for feedback so no I’m not going to mention who made it. I could not call the manufacturer as they were closed when ups dropped it off.

I would use a 2 part automotive type clear coat or atleast something like Duracoat.
I recently stripped, blasted and refinished a non carbon stock from a well know maker and was greatly disappointed in what it looked like under the thick coating. The entire bolt relief area was made of bondo. Its covered in pinholes and air bubbles. But I enjoyed refinishing it and making it pretty.
Thank you for the suggestion! I will look into Duracoat, and Aluma Hyde has a clear as well.

Not looking to bash anyone or point fingers just asking for feedback so no I’m not going to mention who made it. I could not call the manufacturer as they were closed when ups dropped it off.
It wouldn't be a bash, as the finish may be standard/correct, and its your expectations that were off. This is why I asked for actual pictures. If its abnormal, let the manufacturer fix it.

Reactions: spife7980
It wouldn't be a bash, as the finish may be standard/correct, and its your expectations that were off. This is why I asked for actual pictures. If its abnormal, let the manufacturer fix it.
To me this is not a good color match and not what I was expecting. Also a strange mill out into my rear pillar on the bottom metal side as my M5 DBM is flat on the bottom where it mounts to the pillars. I will be calling them with some questions.

Attachments

• BB4CC910-6C4A-4CFE-A1EA-FBC40002FDB1.jpeg
    BB4CC910-6C4A-4CFE-A1EA-FBC40002FDB1.jpeg
    476.2 KB · Views: 118
  • CA679922-8A4A-43E4-8A45-74B328DB615E.jpeg
    CA679922-8A4A-43E4-8A45-74B328DB615E.jpeg
    450.1 KB · Views: 127
To me this is not a good color match and not what I was expecting. Also a strange mill out into my rear pillar on the bottom metal side as my M5 DBM is flat on the bottom where it mounts to the pillars. I will be calling them with some questions.
That looks normal to me, despite the lighting differences between the two pics. The step is intentional and probably has to do with clearance for some brand of bottom metal. The bottom metal needs to be bedded anyway so there’s no harm in it. Their inlets are kinda rudimentary on purpose since they keep the options list very small.

Last edited: