• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Carbon Fiber Wrapped Barrel issue/lesson

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    We wrapped up (pun) a rifle yesterday for a gent down in NM with the intention of shipping it today.

Not gonna happen. . .

Prior to receiving the parts, the customer had another shop fit up a Vaise muzzle brake on his ABS barrel. He later settled on us to build the gun. The barrel is a "palma looking" 6mm chambered in 243AI. We did the threading/chambering work on this piece along with stockwork, paint, etc.

Threads on the muzzle were cut to 1/2-28. The shop that did the work included a large fillet at the back of the thread where it transitions to the shoulder. The fillet was undercut creating a virtual corner and eliminates any issues with the brake failing to suck up to the shoulder nice and tight. Not a bad thing generally, but in this case it made a mess.

The work potentially ruined the barrel. Garrett noticed a faint, barely detectable anomaly right at the tangent point of the radius where it transitions to the shoulder. To the casual eye it appeared to be a crack.

DSC_0030-7.jpg

In fact it was the lead thread of the barrel nut that goes onto the barrel as a part of making the carbon process work. My understanding is its designed to compress the carbon and put the barrel liner under compression.

We contacted the cst and informed him. We also spoke with the folks at Proof Research to see what they had to say. Proof Research DID NOT manufacture this barrel. They merely bought the patent rights from ABS. Regardless, they were very professional and have offered to replace it if it is indeed defective from this machine work.

A test yesterday pretty much solidified that the barrel isn't going to work. We shot it once in our test cell and upon inspection we discovered that the inclusion extended all the way around the periphery of the radius. It appears that the barrel is indeed cracked or somehow being distressed by the machine work. It distorted and ballooned right around where the problem was first discovered. Might not be, but it sure looks like it is to us.

SO, lessons:

From our chair if your installing a brake/can on a barrel like this use the LARGEST thread you possibly can on the muzzle. This particular barrel measures close to .800" in OD yet a 1/2 thread was used with a very snorty undercut. Using a larger thread will preserve much wanted/needed wall thickness at the muzzle. Always a good thing. it also keeps you out of the barrel nut threads.
    <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">
    Next, give the barrel maker a call if your unsure and ask them what the best procedure is for threading their barrels as there is a difference.</span>
    </span>
    There's been a lot of chatter lately about these kinds of barrels so this seemed like a great opportunity to share some technical stuff related to them. Just to reiterate, this problem WAS NOT the fault of the barrel or the barrel manufacturer. It was not LongRifles, Inc's. fault either. We just discovered the problem created by another shop. Out of professional courtesy their name will stay out of this so don't ask.

Hope this helps someone down the road.

C.

Re: Carbon Fiber Wrapped Barrel issue/lesson

In the words of Carl Childers, "it aint no count"

Always an informative post Chad. Makes me want to take up gunsmithing lol, best left to the experts though

Thats gotta suck !!

I was considering a carbon wrapped barrel for my next build as i want the gun light but accurate , i know thin barrels will shoot great but i like the heavy look.

ANYWAY

Chad what are you oppinions on carbon wrapped barrels?

If you were gonna build say a 30-06 or 280 rem with a 24" tube would you rather a heavy carbon barrel or a thinner barrel (granted they weigh the same)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My understanding is its designed to compress the carbon and put the barrel liner under compression.</div></div>

I thought they put the barrel in tension and the carbon sleeve in compression to make a stiffer mated pair.
    Maybe we are just using different words...

I don't think the cap is for tension? I've gotten some barrels in a few years ago from ABS and they didn't even have the cap in place. All I had to do square the carbon up, thread it for the cap and then rocksett the cap into place.

If you wanted a threaded muzzle then you would simpily thread the now rocksetted cap. For obvious reasons you wouldn't want to thread it much smaller thann a 5/8 thread though.

Looking at your photo Chad it looks like they didn't cut the threads off that they use to install the cap and what they use to hold in there wraping machine.

Robert,
    I think you are correct, We have made a bunch of these barrels and that's what it looks like to me also. The barrels are threaded on the end to hold them in the wrapping machine. The cap shouldn't be under tension it is basically there to protect the end of the carbon. If you want to thread the muzzle, you should thread the cap . That threaded part should be cut off, it is considered the 1" that is to be removed at the muzzle end of the barrel before crowning. And the caps shouldn't be threaded less than 5/8-24.

But I've been known to be wrong once or twice
    wink.gif

Paul

so where are we at with this?
    sending it back to Proof?, ordering up a new barrel?

ThanX for the up-date
    keep me informed

Chad - good post, I have several ABS barrels built on Rock blanks and really like them. Mine shoot very well but I agree that you have to know what you are doing when with them or any other barrel for that matter. FWIW, none of mine are threaded. They are light weight hunting rifles for a reason.

Mine were built before the days of Proof Research but I will have to say they have offered standup service and advice to me and the shops that were smithing the rifles for me. Seems to be a well run organization.

Personally I never understood the desire to put such small threads on the end of a barrel. Just asking for trouble from this engineers point of view.