• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carbon Ring Removal with CLR Q’s

Estes640

Sergeant of the Hide
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Bellevue, KY
So I’m about to work on my brothers 223 and try and work what we suspect is a carbon ring out. Shows all the symptoms of one: high pressure at book minimum, black marks on bullet I give when removed from chamber, and it’s got about 750rds of varget reloads with not too much cleaning.

I’ve got the felt mandrels and special jag. I’ve never had to use these so are their any tips and tricks for their use?
Also, how long are you letting the CLR sit?
Is there Anywhere the CLR shouldn’t go?
Best method for removal of all the CLR?
Do you coat the bore after the whole process is done to prevent any remenant of CLR to etch?

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/soaking-a-carbon-ring.6983836/#post-8267643

I just found this in my old 22-250:
WIN_20200304_21_42_58_Pro.jpg

At the moment, I have an oversized q-tip soaked in BoreTech Eliminator sitting in there. I'll check it when I get home today. If that doesn't do it, I'll switch to CLR, which has worked great on carbon in the past. I think with most steels, there's no problem letting it sit in there for a few minutes. However, once I get the ring out, I'm going to do some passes with acetone, and then follow with some kind of gun oil.

Last edited:
Reactions: Estes640
Worked mine out the other night. Took some time with CLR, but it all came out. That is definitely the trick

Attachments

• E6A541BE-2B55-427B-A5FA-FAAD3B0D95D0.jpeg
    E6A541BE-2B55-427B-A5FA-FAAD3B0D95D0.jpeg
    399.2 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: SupressYourself
Carbon ring is more stubborn than people think..your nylon brush wont remove it even with any chemical..you need to use copper brush

Copper/bronze brush and battery drill.

You’ll probably need a copper remover after, as there will be pieces of the brush you’ll need to remove.

The drill makes quick work. Faster that running the brush 100x with your hand.

Reactions: Darkside-Six