• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Carbon ring?

Jscb1b

Dumbass.
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2018
Arizona
Is it a carbon ring?
20200713_170653.jpg

Would like someone to look at this as well. Just got my Teslong in this afternoon. 28 Nosler, running RL33 and 175s. Decided to switch to 195s and Im at the very bottom of the scale (81-82G of RL33) and velocity is 150-200 fps higher than I expected. Also getting some extractor marks.

Reactions: Evlshnngns
I vote yes. If the camera will reach put a fired empty brass in and scope it from the muzzle. Those teslongs are awesome.

Would like someone to look at this as well. Just got my Teslong in this afternoon. 28 Nosler, running RL33 and 175s. Decided to switch to 195s and Im at the very bottom of the scale (81-82G of RL33) and velocity is 150-200 fps higher than I expected. Also getting some extractor marks.

How did you get yours to focus better?

I vote yes. If the camera will reach put a fired empty brass in and scope it from the muzzle. Those teslongs are awesome.

thanks. Good call there. Yes, I actually put it in from the bore end.
And yes, I was super surprised how easy it was to get it up and get a decent video. I’ve never really paid attention to bore scopes or imaging. The other question is about the fire cracking and whether that signals any issue.

thanks. Good call there. Yes, I actually put it in from the bore end.
And yes, I was super surprised how easy it was to get it up and get a decent video. I’ve nevery really paid attention to bore scopes or imaging. The other question is about the fire cracking and whether that signals any issue.
Get rid of the carbon ring. The fire cracking isn’t really an issue typically. I actually had to look closely to even see it. Some barrels will shoot well even after there is no rifling for inches after the throat. It depends.

So, I turned on video while inserting a fired piece of brass. The ring shows up right there around the lip. Tomorrow I will be using some Boretech C4 and let it soak in. I've tried that before and thought it was clean, but obviously was not.

RE33 and a 28 Nosler is a recipe for a hellacious Carbon ring.

I ran 86.3 gr. RL33 in Nosler Brass under 195 EOLs to the tune of 3060fps with minor extractor marks. My rifle is long throated for the 195 and fed from a Wyatt box, so the Berger’s are seated for a COAL over 3.7”. Every several rounds the rifle would belch a puff of dark gray smoke and would require aggressive cleaning after as few as 18 rounds. I used RL33 for 450 rounds, because I couldn’t get N570. I now have 15lbs of N570.

The carbon ring produced under these circumstances is extremely burdensome.

Reactions: 65x55guy
Remington 40x on a patch wrapped around an undersized brush works wonders.

In my experience you can feel them easier than actually seeing it.

Had one in my 223 training barrel, couldn't see anything out of whack but distance to 'lands' was shorter and I could force the bullet deeper and get a longer measurement.

Boretech c4, plugged barrel and soaked overnight. Came back next morning with a copper brush and more c4 and scrubbed the shit out of it.

Lots of resistance running the rod back and forth at first, then all of a sudden started getting easier.

No more ring. Accuracy returned immediately.

Last video and then I'll leave you guys alone. Seems to be much better. That mess that was caked up is gone. There is still a dark circle as the chamber transitions that I'm curious about but I don't think its a carbon ring.

That looks good. I was expecting the brass to hit that transition, I was wrong.

Last video and then I'll leave you guys alone. Seems to be much better. That mess that was caked up is gone. There is still a dark circle as the chamber transitions that I'm curious about but I don't think its a carbon ring.

That dark circle at the start of the freebore was what caused my 6.5 saum to be severely over pressure. I soaked with bore tech for 24 hours and hit it with a brush but didn't touch it. Repeated soak and cleaning with the same results and over pressure issue before listening to everyone saying use Iosso bore paste. A brief cleaning with that and it got rid of all that carbon and resolved the problem. Gun went back to shooting great again and dropped the velocity where it should have been.

I lied. one more video.

I've been coming in from the bore because i wanted to look at the rifling, but this time i swapped and came from the chamber. It turns out that the second "black ring" seems to be a deep shadow cast by the bright light on the Teslong. That's all I can figure, because I can't find any carbon at all on that spot around the transition.

So call me a happy camper, and I'm back to thinking through load development with N570 and 195s. And probably going to be a more avid bore cleaner from here on out at least on the 28 Nosler.

Reactions: lash
If the left side is the chamber side, and that’s not just a weird shadow, then yes. If you’ve got enough length on the endoscope, try it from the other side as well to make sure it’s not a shadow or light bouncing in a strange way.

Left side is the chamber side.

RE33 and a 28 Nosler is a recipe for a hellacious Carbon ring.

I ran 86.3 gr. RL33 in Nosler Brass under 195 EOLs to the tune of 3060fps with minor extractor marks. My rifle is long throated for the 195 and fed from a Wyatt box, so the Berger’s are seated for a COAL over 3.7”. Every several rounds the rifle would belch a puff of dark gray smoke and would require aggressive cleaning after as few as 18 rounds. I used RL33 for 450 rounds, because I couldn’t get N570. I now have 15lbs of N570.

The carbon ring produced under these circumstances is extremely burdensome.

in your opinion or experience, what qualities of the various components lead to rapid carbon ring build up?