• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carbon wrapping a Barrel

Re: Carbon wrapping a Barrel

Christensen Arms made up one for me. I used a Kreiger, but they mostly use button rifled barrels.
I was not impressed. The benifit is to be weight, but it will not be lighter than a LW sporter barrel. Mine was threaded for a suppressor, but POI shift was huge. Accuracy was not great. 1.25 MOA.
I took it off and gave it away. Fired about 500 shots through it. .308 Win.
JMO

Christensen arms barrels really vary in accuracy. Some report really good ones, some not great at all. ABS barrels seem to have better reports accuracy wise.

I have a buddy that swears by his wrapped barrels but I cant see the advantage for the cost.

Thats just it some people swear they are more accurate but I have not had first hand experience. Others say they are crap

There are a few guys here using the ABS built barrels, someone speak up! I'd like to use one on a lightweight tactical mountain rifle. If they are as stiff as a heavy taper, you should be able to do some range shooting without a POI shift. I hate skinny barrel 3 shot rifles. They are fine for hunting but that's it.

who would you contact to get just the barrel?
I see jenseprecision will only give you one if you have a rifle made.

Broughton will too.

The ABS Barrels are phenomenal. In m24 profile at 24-26 inches dont expect it to be super light. They are however very accurate and much lighter than a standard m24 blank. I have handled / shot many christensen rifles. They either flat suck donkey balls or they are mediocre. They make a light rifle, thats about it.

If you want one that shoots use an ABS Wrapped Rock, Broughton, Brux, Bartlein pick your favorite.

I wont say a wrapped barrel is more accurate. I have a lilja wrapped barrel on my single shot Mcmillan RBRP 50, weight is 20lb with a USO scope and the bipod. the repeter TAC 50 has a K&P same bipod and its almost 40lb both are about the same grouping. I have had 0 problems with the wrapped barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alongshot50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wont say a wrapped barrel is more accurate. I have a lilja wrapped barrel on my single shot Mcmillan RBRP 50, weight is 20lb with a USO scope and the bipod. the repeter TAC 50 has a K&P same bipod and its almost 40lb both are about the same grouping. I have had 0 problems with the wrapped barrel </div></div>
Is it an ABS barrel?

Its a Christensen carbon fiber wrapped Lilja SS about 2in in dia.you could almost shoot it offhanded....lol

benchmark barrels has sent barrels to ABS to have wrapped. I would give them a call.

Benchmark Barrels
Ron Sinnema, Barry Graber
1105 Pioneer Hwy East
Arlington, WA 98223
phone: (360) 652-2594
email: benchmarkbarrels [at] yahoo.com

I know the prices will vary upon what contour and length of barrel, but roughly how much does carbon wrapping add to the cost of a barrel? $300-400?

Ive had several ABS barrels and all did what they were designed to do ,Todd bettin is the guy who wraps all the abs barrels thats who jenseprecision gets there barrels from and every one else as far as my conversation with Todd .I have had other carbon wrapped barrels and they were junk they are not wrapped the same as Abs and use a totally differant matrix and actually hold in the heat where ABS cools almost 300 times faster than steel in the throat area .go to bettin custom guns and you can contact Todd on a barrel.thanks Dustin

my experience is rite in line w what Dustin said..... have 5 of these composite barreled rifles. aside from abs composite barrels are VERY VERY much "luck" of the draw. some have been good and others are total dogs. abs has been 3 for 3 at >.5moa

I recently had GAP build me another 6.5 Creedmoor using a Rem 700 TI short action and I went with a Rock barrel (M40/M24 contour) that was sent to ABS for their carbon fiber wrap. It was then placed into a Manners MCS-T 90% carbon fiber shelled stock w/ Badger M5. It's BADASS! Moon built it and has done others. Maybe he can chime in.

I did wait approx. 6 months for the barrel.

If your just gonna get the barrel for now go through the barrel manufacturer for the order as they will make sure that after it is done, that it was done properly.

Funny thing is Todd just lives 30 min north of me and I still would go through the manufacturer for it.

I am having a lightweight .223 built with an ABS/Rock barrel. It is a 7 contour but only weighs about 3#. I opted to go with one to get heavy contour profile and stiffness without the weight. I'll let you know in a few months.

If anyone can get ahold of Mike Degerness at ABS, tell him Seth B would like his barrels back, or a refund. Two years is long enough.

Hell, if you can get ahold of him let me know what phone number he is using now.

I have heard similar about ABS. I know Jared Joplin will not even build a gun with one of their barrels......because of the owner of the company. Jared is a straight shooter so to speak, so that tells me a lot about ABS as a company. I got mine from a Hide member who got it as a group buy here on the Hide. I would agree with the above post......tread cautiously from what I have need told and buy it through Rock if you decide to get one.

I have a Rock ABS wraped barrel on a 700 that took around 6 or 7 months to get the wrap done. Mike at ABS was very helpful and took as much time as needed with me on the phone with what ever question I had. However it was a big accomplishment to get him on the phone or through email. Mike always returned my calls and emails but not in what you would say a timely manner. I do have to say that Mike came across to me like someone who does care about what he does and his work turned out very nice. He did tell me not to bring his name up with Jered after I told him that Jered and Dave are the only people I would have build me a rifle. I gues there must be some bad blood there , and like stated above Jered being the guy he is it isnt hard to figure out where the prob was. But thats me assumeing things.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rwest</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Broughton will too.

The ABS Barrels are phenomenal. In m24 profile at 24-26 inches dont expect it to be super light. They are however very accurate and much lighter than a standard m24 blank. I have handled / shot many christensen rifles. They either flat suck donkey balls or they are mediocre. They make a light rifle, thats about it.

If you want one that shoots use an ABS Wrapped Rock, Broughton, Brux, Bartlein pick your favorite.

</div></div>

I have a friend who has a Christensen .300 RUM. It is of the donkey ball variety as quoted above!

I have a 6.5-284 bbl that was just sent to Mike at ABS, and a 6-47 Lapua bbl being sent here shortly. Mike just moved to Montana so when I talked to him at the SHOT show he said that he would have everything back up and running the first week of Febuary.

Anyone that has an old outstanding order or missing product, especially if it is more than 6 months in arrears needs to contact me at [email protected] or text/call/carrier pigeon 402-890-2709. Our communications suck at best but we will not have anybody feeling ripped off. Immediate refund or shorter lead time product (less than 90 days) guaranteed.
Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanScott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If anyone can get ahold of Mike Degerness at ABS, tell him Seth B would like his barrels back, or a refund. Two years is long enough.

Hell, if you can get ahold of him let me know what phone number he is using now. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carbonman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone that has an old outstanding order or missing product, especially if it is more than 6 months in arrears needs to contact me at <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">[email protected]</span></span> or <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">text/call/carrier pigeon <span style="color: #FF0000">402-890-2709</span></span></span>. Our communications suck at best but we will not have anybody feeling ripped off. Immediate refund or shorter lead time product (less than 90 days) guaranteed.
Mike </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carbonman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">who is Seth B.? No name even similar on the books and I looked back to 2007. Mike</div></div>

Head's Up, Guys! ABS is on the hunt to insure that <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">all of it's customer's</span></span> are taken care of. Please have "Seth B." immediately contact Mike at ABS to get squared away. Points of contact: contact ABS at <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">[email protected]</span></span> or <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">text/call/carrier pigeon <span style="color: #FF0000">402-890-2709</span></span></span>.

Hey guys,I guess I'll chime in for a little knowledge on composite wrapped,anything.I am a certified composite engineer of 12yrs.I have a physics major.I've worked for Boeing,Northrope Gr.,then Vector composites(we make 82% of the composites on the Apache heli)before I left recently.I am now QA engineer.So,this being said
I'll say that wrappping the barrel is nothing more than,well,wrapping a barrel.Obviously not an easy job to do but honestly not hard.I know of two composite firms that do third party contracts for the us gov/mil and were asked of barrel engineering theories via laminates/composites for beneficial use.
I was told from insider "friends" that it was not "purposeful" vs. a heavy fluted barrel for cooling effiency,and accuraccy was completely determined by the barrel of origin.These were from field testing done by the militarys' AMU,on the M110 knights DI rifle,as this was one of their experiments to say the least.Costs of engineering and labor being as I quote,"it's a wasteful product but looks nice,I don't think the military is gonna bite on the functionality though.."My friend seemed very honest as he usually is.He's a double degreed' physics and properties engineer.These barrels were done with a filliment winding machine and a patented filliment coating system that applies epoxy before the filliment is about to touch the barrel/cylinder.This method is used to keep tolerences precise,it's very,very strong,and seemed to flex the best with the barrels energy dissipation and shape change during energy discharge.The filliment winding system is also very time consuming and expensive.Me and him had this talk and this is how I feel.I think the same about it IMHO.The barrels metal properties are different from the composites epoxy(no matter what the epoxy,period.Over time they WILL separate in some way,due too the harmonics.The two will never really be one and that would kind of worry me in the end.Looks are one thing but for the additional price paid I would go get a good ol'steel barrel,airgauged and hand lapped,tried and trued.He is an avid shooter also and wanted to see this work in his words,but agreed with me without a doubt about the physics and the actual test results he shared.Just my .02cents.Goodshootin'

~Reagan

I thought wraped barrels were the ones that were toruqed somehow. The point was to stress the barrel which made it stiff? Is this the same thing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nut job</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought wraped barrels were the ones that were toruqed somehow. The point was to stress the barrel which made it stiff? Is this the same thing? </div></div>
I was wondering the same thing. Is anyone besides Volquartsen claiming a "tensioned" barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nut job</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought wraped barrels were the ones that were toruqed somehow. The point was to stress the barrel which made it stiff? Is this the same thing? </div></div>
I was wondering the same thing. Is anyone besides Volquartsen claiming a "tensioned" barrel? </div></div>

The carbon barrels are not tensioned, that is a whole different deal.

There are tesioned barrel setups but I dont know if I have seen a carbon barrel under tension other than the volquartsen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are a few guys here using the ABS built barrels, someone speak up! I'd like to use one on a lightweight tactical mountain rifle. If they are as stiff as a heavy taper, you should be able to do some range shooting without a POI shift. I hate skinny barrel 3 shot rifles. They are fine for hunting but that's it. </div></div> Buy a blank from Rock and have them send it to ABS for wrapping. Make sure you tell them that is the purpose so they turn the correct contour. Call Mike and ask him when and where to send it. You will not be dissapointed!! Not a ton of weight savings but it is there for sure. The biggest gain is for barrel cooling and as he has proven recently again, accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Rock ABS wraped barrel on a 700 that took around 6 or 7 months to get the wrap done. Mike at ABS was very helpful and took as much time as needed with me on the phone with what ever question I had. However it was a big accomplishment to get him on the phone or through email. Mike always returned my calls and emails but not in what you would say a timely manner. I do have to say that Mike came across to me like someone who does care about what he does and his work turned out very nice. He did tell me not to bring his name up with Jered after I told him that Jered and Dave are the only people I would have build me a rifle. I gues there must be some bad blood there , and like stated above Jered being the guy he is it isnt hard to figure out where the prob was. But thats me assumeing things. </div></div>

My problem with ABS is simple. I sent Mike a barrel to wrap and he kept it and gave me nothing in return. People run into problems here and there but this will never be acceptable.

There's a company not too far from here that sleeves barrels with aluminum, it wouldn't be as light as carbon fiber but it seems to me it would be easier to get good results. No personal experience yet, but a friend is planning to send in two rifles.

I got 4 rifles with carbon fiber wrapped barrels. 3 of them are Rock/ABS barrels and one is a Magnum Research .22LR.

The advantages are weight and cooling. All mine are varmint/bull/M24 contour and the heaviest weighs 3lbs. With a thicker contour, I get consistent accuracy and compounded cooling.

My Magnum Research I can dump magazine after magazine and it will only be a bit warm to the touch while keeping the groups tight. For my ABS centerfires I can shoot more rapidly without worrying about burning out the barrel even during the hot Houston summer.

Accuracy between cut rifled steel and ABS are the same. Still the 0.25MOA groups with proper load so it's basically on me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For my ABS centerfires I can shoot more rapidly without worrying about burning out the barrel even during the hot Houston summer.</div></div>
CanPopper, I'm interested in this subject, so please don't take this as a slam...but do you really think any barrel cares if it's 70 degrees F or 95? I'm playing devil's advocate only for betterment of analytical...uh, analysis. Food for thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Rock ABS wraped barrel on a 700 that took around 6 or 7 months to get the wrap done. Mike at ABS was very helpful and took as much time as needed with me on the phone with what ever question I had. However it was a big accomplishment to get him on the phone or through email. Mike always returned my calls and emails but not in what you would say a timely manner. I do have to say that Mike came across to me like someone who does care about what he does and his work turned out very nice. He did tell me not to bring his name up with Jered after I told him that Jered and Dave are the only people I would have build me a rifle. I gues there must be some bad blood there , and like stated above Jered being the guy he is it isnt hard to figure out where the prob was. But thats me assumeing things. </div></div>

My problem with ABS is simple. I sent Mike a barrel to wrap and he kept it and gave me nothing in return. People run into problems here and there but this will never be acceptable.
</div></div>
Seems to be a bit of a trend, I hope Mike has been able to rectify these issues and will continue to grow his company. He does have a good thing going with the way he performes the carbon wrap. I DID NOT mean to say any thing derogatory about Mike or his company. I just wanted to clarify that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Rock ABS wraped barrel on a 700 that took around 6 or 7 months to get the wrap done. Mike at ABS was very helpful and took as much time as needed with me on the phone with what ever question I had. However it was a big accomplishment to get him on the phone or through email. Mike always returned my calls and emails but not in what you would say a timely manner. I do have to say that Mike came across to me like someone who does care about what he does and his work turned out very nice. He did tell me not to bring his name up with Jered after I told him that Jered and Dave are the only people I would have build me a rifle. I gues there must be some bad blood there , and like stated above Jered being the guy he is it isnt hard to figure out where the prob was. But thats me assumeing things. </div></div>

</div></div>

Yeah thats not good business.Period.Burning a bridge stops you from going somewhere....

~R

</div></div>

Jered,
Let me refresh your memory. You supplied me with a blank to wrap; I did so and shipped it to you. When you found the barrel was fouling badly you asked me to do another one for free. How is the quality of the blank you supplied my responsibility?
I believe this was for your customer Mark D. We did another for him and shipped it to you with the AAC blackout flash hider. That flash hider was lost when your guy unpacked the contents. I replaced that too.
If there was another barrel blank beyond this that you shipped here and never got returned, please let me know. I will gladly pay you the replacement cost for the blank or supply a completed barrel.
I meant what I said in my earlier post. I want nobody to feel like they have been ripped off.
V/R,
Mike

What the deal is, is simple.

Mike at ABS is doing his best to reconcile all of his accounts. Some of those accounts are recent, others are not.

But he's doing everthing in his power to make good by all accounts. You have to give him credit there.

If you have an outstanding order with ABS, contact Mike and work with him to get things squared away. I.E. - don't just sit back and piss and moan about having gotten screwed when the man himself is squaring away all accounts.

My ¢2.

I will now duck as a Tsunami of flying bricks heads my way ...

i shoot a rem 700vsc in .308. The vsc stands for varmit synthetic composit. it shoots under .5 moa all day long at 300 yds. The barral is 1.25" thick from christionson arms. Great shooter. If anyone wants to shoot it just ask we can set something up

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carbonman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Rock ABS wraped barrel on a 700 that took around 6 or 7 months to get the wrap done. Mike at ABS was very helpful and took as much time as needed with me on the phone with what ever question I had. However it was a big accomplishment to get him on the phone or through email. Mike always returned my calls and emails but not in what you would say a timely manner. I do have to say that Mike came across to me like someone who does care about what he does and his work turned out very nice. He did tell me not to bring his name up with Jered after I told him that Jered and Dave are the only people I would have build me a rifle. I gues there must be some bad blood there , and like stated above Jered being the guy he is it isnt hard to figure out where the prob was. But thats me assumeing things. </div></div>

</div></div>

Jered,
Let me refresh your memory. You supplied me with a blank to wrap; I did so and shipped it to you. When you found the barrel was fouling badly you asked me to do another one for free. How is the quality of the blank you supplied my responsibility?
I believe this was for your customer Mark D. We did another for him and shipped it to you with the AAC blackout flash hider. That flash hider was lost when your guy unpacked the contents. I replaced that too.
If there was another barrel blank beyond this that you shipped here and never got returned, please let me know. I will gladly pay you the replacement cost for the blank or supply a completed barrel.
I meant what I said in my earlier post. I want nobody to feel like they have been ripped off.
V/R,
Mike </div></div>

Since we are refreshing memories let me refresh yours. We had an issue with Norman's barrel. You said that if I purchased another barrel you would wrap it. I paid for a Saturn barrel blank per your recommendation and had them drop ship it to you. That was probably at least 2 years ago. I spoke to you multiple times about the situation over an 8 month period or so and then you started totally ignoring me. I finally got someone in your office to answer a text until I told them it was me and they never responded again so tell me again how I need to be reminded. I filed a police report etc over the entire deal I was so pissed. Obviously this did a lot of good because I still don't have a barrel. I finally gave up because you cost me more money than I care to admit. I replaced the barrel with a standard steel barrel from Broughton a long time ago.

As far as my guys "loosing" a flash hider..........doubtful. We document each box's components and condition when we open the box. That's why you received a phone call to tell you that it was missing. I honestly can't remember how we resolved the situation with the flash hider barrel but I know it was settled. My recollection on the barrel on that order was that we fixed the barrel by making an adapter that was the original requested size on the end of the barrel. The office handled the rest.

My concern is this plain and simple. As far as I'm concerned you stole my Saturn barrel that you asked me to supply you. In addition you avoided my phone calls for months. I have never gone out of my way to trash you in public but rest assured when someone ask my opinion I'll be happy to give it.

If Mike wants to reconcile my situation he can send the money for the Saturn barrel/ It was somewhere around $300.