• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Career change to gunsmithing?

Bakwa

Prophetic Marksman
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 22, 2017
    FL
    For all of the career smiths and armorers out there, I have a few questions for you about getting into gunsmithing as a vocation.

Long story short, I might find myself in a position where I will likely be changing careers. I'll have a clean slate.
    One of the options I'm seriously considering is gunsmithing for a shop/company or applying as an armorer at an agency/department.
    I have several years of experience managing a gun shop, time in the military, and time in law enforcement. It seems as if one of the big things that I'm missing are gunsmith/armorer specific certifications in order to look like a competitive applicant.

With my experiences that I'm bringing to the table, what do you think is the best route to take into this trade?
    Do I start from scratch and try to find an apprenticeship? Do I jump strait into a year long certification program? Do I run around and take a handful of the big manufacturers in house armorers courses? Should I go to my local community college and look for a machine shop 101 course?
    Or should I look into other options because it's a bad time to be a gunsmith???

I'm in the process of reaching out to many of my contacts in the gun industry but I realize that I don't know any gunsmiths well enough to talk to and pick their brain.
    Thanks in advance for any help or direction!

I'd say the only money in gunsmithing is either 1.) Running your own shop or being near the top of the totem at a MAJOR mfg, OR... 2.) Gunsmithing/armorer for the federal government.

Don't look like a competitive applicant, be one.

Please God, do not use a GI Bill for gunsmithing certifications...

Get into machining/manufacturing, even if it's not in the gun industry. The operations done in the GS world are mostly child's play to a real machinist/tool maker. Wider job pool, too.

Manufacturing in any capacity, turning raw material into a finished part where you have control over the entire process is going to be more profitable with wider error windows. Turning $0.50 of material into a $40 part every 2-5 minutes Vs. spending a day to blueprint and barrel a receiver for $450 with everyone and their mother trying to undercut everyone else. Obviously it's more complicated than just that, but I've been the low guy on the totem pole in a precision rifle building shop (LRI) and despite it being my favorite work to do because I have a ton of interest, it was by far the worst job I've ever had, and the shit that the owner pulled off to advance himself and the company was/is complete bullshit on orders of magnitude I can't express in text. Sorry if I sound bitter... Granted, that's not everywhere, but I maintain I would have been better off to just start in a machine shop run by decent people with real professional education and experience.

I agree with the above that the whole GS as a career thing works if you're a talented one-man-band, especially if you're retired or don't have to rely on it (part-time), OR if you own the place. It takes time that people don't want to pay for, and it's easy to lose your profit margin. I'll never do it again professionally unless/until I'm retired and don't have to rely on it.

I have several years of experience managing a gun shop, time in the military, and time in law enforcement. It seems as if one of the big things that I'm missing are gunsmith/armorer specific certifications in order to look like a competitive applicant.

Sounds like you're missing more than just certifications; one would hope you'd have actual gunsmithing experience and quality work to show for it. Certifications and skills are not the same thing, not even close.

If you're in an extremely unusual position of having loads of talent and gunsmithing experience, but only make $10-15/hour and have no better options, then yeah a gunsmith career might be for you. Otherwise it can be hard to make decent money at it, other than the exceptions listed above. Most good gunsmiths do it because they love the work, not because it's the best choice in career paths. Only you know if that fits you yet. If you don't know, then start working on your own stuff first before jumping into it as a career.

Reactions: Bakwa
    Sounds like you're missing more than just certifications; one would hope you'd have actual gunsmithing experience and quality work to show for it. Certifications and skills are not the same thing, not even close.

If you're in an extremely unusual position of having loads of talent and gunsmithing experience, but only make $10-15/hour and have no better options, then yeah a gunsmith career might be for you. Otherwise it can be hard to make decent money at it, other than the exceptions listed above. Most good gunsmiths do it because they love the work, not because it's the best choice in career paths. Only you know if that fits you yet. If you don't know, then start working on your own stuff first before jumping into it as a career.

All good points.
    I've been interested in firearms and how they work since I got out of the military 10yrs ago. Been doing lower level smithing for myself and friends the whole time as well. Did many "favors" for customers while I was running the shop I was in charge of. I'm no stranger to tinkering with firearms, diagnosing problems, building FAL's, AK's, assembling AR's, etc... I have a lot to learn but I'm more knowledgeable on gunsmith related things than the average person in the gun industry.

To my knowledge, it's very rare for someone to get full time work gunsmithing. Most gunsmiths either supplement their work somewhere else, or work in the shop they're smithing for, if they want to make more money. I recognize that.
    Ultimately I'd like to be able to gunsmith "and" do something else. Maybe open my own shop. Maybe help someone else run their shop. I have friends that own shops that would likely be interested in my help, but I don't want to rely on that, which is why I'm interested in making myself look marketable in the gun industry.

Perhaps you're right and I'm trying to go down a path that isn' worth it in the end unless I'm already raking in my retirement check. IDK. But I definitely am passionate about the firearms industry.

A few weeks ago, I posted about an opening for someone to take job as a gunsmith at a firm that does restoration and sale of antique armaments. They are in the Northeast... very successful company. PM me and I am glad to introduce you to the CEO. It is a great starting out opportunity, IMHO, and you would be trained by their in-house experienced 'smith(s) who are retiring.

My initial post is somewhere in this thread.

Cheers,

Sirhr

A few weeks ago, I posted about an opening for someone to take job as a gunsmith at a firm that does restoration and sale of antique armaments. They are in the Northeast... very successful company. PM me and I am glad to introduce you to the CEO. It is a great starting out opportunity, IMHO, and you would be trained by their in-house experienced 'smith(s) who are retiring.

My initial post is somewhere in this thread.

Cheers,

Sirhr
    Thank you very much for dropping this here.
    I am however at least 6 months out from applying anywhere right now. I'm still working out my exit from my current job and I'll need to coordinate moving my family wherever I end up.
    I'll still PM you just in case though.

Cheers!

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
    Hi,

I would be willing to wager in regards to Armorer billet at an agency/department:
    1. Are crazy hard to get because typically those are reserved for SWAT guy that was injured and cannot fulfill SWAT duties but doesn't want to go the disabled retirement route. Or they are reserved for someone that worked their way up in the Department and just needs to "ride a desk" until retirement.
    2. The armorer does not do much more than cleaning firearms and replacing some screws here and there. All the real work goes back to factory and/or smith that built the rifle due to insurance regulations.

I would suggest as has already been suggested:
    1. Dive off into CNC programmer/operator withOUT the focus on firearms. A CNC Programmer/Operator can always cut some threads, clean up a receiver, chamber a barrel, etc etc but a "smith" cannot always program a CNC machine.

Sincerely,
    Theis

Hi,

I would be willing to wager in regards to Armorer billet at an agency/department:
    1. Are crazy hard to get because typically those are reserved for SWAT guy that was injured and cannot fulfill SWAT duties but doesn't want to go the disabled retirement route. Or they are reserved for someone that worked their way up in the Department and just needs to "ride a desk" until retirement.
    2. The armorer does not do much more than cleaning firearms and replacing some screws here and there. All the real work goes back to factory and/or smith that built the rifle due to insurance regulations.

I would suggest as has already been suggested:
    1. Dive off into CNC programmer/operator withOUT the focus on firearms. A CNC Programmer/Operator can always cut some threads, clean up a receiver, chamber a barrel, etc etc but a "smith" cannot always program a CNC machine.

Sincerely,
    Theis

Thanks for weighing in.
    I suspected that this was potentially how most agency armorers worked. My agency is unique in that the armorer billet is doubled as a training staff billet at our academy. So it's a little more hands on and is certainly not a "ride a desk" kind of thing.
    Your reaffirmation of the last point is noted. I appreciate the advice.

What the industry needs is machinist who understand firearms. The program at Flathead Valley Community College, in Kalispel, MT probably has the most applicable curriculum. Learn tig welding and some cnc, plan on getting into a vein of manufacturing, there is no real career path for the do it all gunsmith shop. Those that do have an alternative source of income ie. retirement, disability, rental properties etc.

I agree with Ledzep and THEIS by going the machinist route you will have a broader career path and it would allow you to do gunsmithing on the side. I will say being a good CNC programmer/ operator you will be worth your weight in gold to a company and will go far. Good luck being a machinist really paid off for me.

Reactions: pfl338 and Ledzep
    I see this question often in forums and on socials. Most of the time the people are asking which college they should go to for a "gunsmithing degree." I always answer the same way.
    I'd highly suggest either a) getting a Mech e. degree (I say this because Mech e is very useful outside of the firearm industry as well in case you need a fall back plan) and learning cad/cam/programing languages. Then applying those to cnc machining in the industry. b) if you really want to be a "gunsmith" go find someone competent and clean their floors until they decide to teach you. Those certifications and classes are basically useless. Building a precision rifle is not hard, nor are the machining principles behind it. I can walk someone through it on a manual machine thats never touched one before in less than 3 hrs.
    If you want to do this right capital is big, having a lot of it is bigger. If you do not have capital or investors then you must find a way to stick out, provide a solution to a problem or work your way up.

Listen to those who've told you to become a CNC machinist. Learn everything you can about that. Learn everything you can about inspection, measurement, metrology, metallurgy and heat treatment, and geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.

Your job pool will include gunmaking and gunsmithing, but it will include SO many more things. American manufacturing is FAR from dead, but the incessant cries from idiots two decades ago convinced most people to never consider it a viable career so now we're in desperate need of people who know how to machine high precision components.

Another nod for the CNC machinist option. I know a few guys that make decent coin as contractors. Real decent.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go that route, bank enough money to buy a bridgeport and southbend and make what you can on the side. If it takes off, great. If not, you don't have to subsist off of cat food and government cheese while you try to build a book of business.

I'm not a gunsmith or a machinist. I'm just a CPA that's prepared more than my fair share of returns for machine shops, small smith operations and one very large firearms manufacturer. My opinion is strictly based on numbers. IMO, gunsmithing is a small step up from opening a restaurant. The ones that make it have the skill, attention to detail and business savvy to make a lot more money doing something else. They're horrifically undervalued. I'm sure they'd tell you that if you had an opportunity to pick their brain.

308pirate that's really good advice because quite a few people I worked with didn't understand half of what you mentioned. Let alone how to use a mic correctly. Another bit of advice if you go the machinist route is learn to use manual machines well because not everything needs to go on a CNC and learn as much as you can from guys who have been doing it for years cause the tricks they have will help. And vinniedelpino made a great point about the money you could make which at the end of the day let's support your family and gives you the skills and the money to build more toys to send fun packages down range.

Good luck and hope whatever you decide works out for you.

The late great gunsmith Randy Ketchum of Lynnwood Guns was paying taxes on $30k/ year.
    He only had a 2 year community college degree, but based on his inventions and building a CAD system, I could have got him an engineering position for multiples of what he made.

308pirate that's really good advice because quite a few people I worked with didn't understand half of what you mentioned. Let alone how to use a mic correctly. Another bit of advice if you go the machinist route is learn to use manual machines well because not everything needs to go on a CNC and learn as much as you can from guys who have been doing it for years cause the tricks they have will help. And vinniedelpino made a great point about the money you could make which at the end of the day let's support your family and gives you the skills and the money to build more toys to send fun packages down range.

Good luck and hope whatever you decide works out for you.

That's a good point as well; I've known a couple CNC programmers who know next to nothing about running a manual machine. That knowledge really comes first for gunsmithing, and CNC a distant second, but CNC is the far wiser career path. I'd wager if he learns to be a CNC operator chances are he'll never use it for gunsmithing because other work pays so much better.

For all of the career smiths and armorers out there, I have a few questions for you about getting into gunsmithing as a vocation.

Long story short, I might find myself in a position where I will likely be changing careers. I'll have a clean slate.
    One of the options I'm seriously considering is gunsmithing for a shop/company or applying as an armorer at an agency/department.

With my experiences that I'm bringing to the table, what do you think is the best route to take into this trade?
    Do I start from scratch and try to find an apprenticeship? Do I jump strait into a year long certification program? Do I run around and take a handful of the big manufacturers in house armorers courses? Should I go to my local community college and look for a machine shop 101 course?

I'm in the process of reaching out to many of my contacts in the gun industry but I realize that I don't know any gunsmiths well enough to talk to and pick their brain.
    Thanks in advance for any help or
    I'd say the only money in gunsmithing is either 1.) Running your own shop or being near the top of the totem at a MAJOR mfg, OR... 2.) Gunsmithing/armorer for the federal government.

Don't look like a competitive applicant, be one.

Please God, do not use a GI Bill for gunsmithing certifications...

Thanks in advance for any help or direction!

I can say from personal experience that there are better ways to make money, I started gunsmithing as a hobby. I was into long range shooting and there were no gunsmiths anywhere near me, so I started learning on my own. General firearm repair is a long path to poverty. The money is in specializing in a particular skill, like revolvers....used in cowboy action shooting. Lever guns. Or PRS shooting. Or the fancy Race guns...... I still do General gun repair because it is needed, but it is getting harder to keep these old guns running, More stressful trying to find that 1 part. I specialize in 1911's, precision rifles and of all things, the browning BAR. ( long story)
    I have done well. Learned so much. I do it for the joy it gives me. I am single, no ex wives or children. So it suits me. And I dont have to worry about who to leave all my money to, cuz there aint none! It has been fun! Good luck! Just the view from my chair.

Respectfully, I have to disagree with virtually every single statement made in some of these posts. I've carved a very successful business from scratch doing almost exactly everything opposite of what has been said.

• I can bill exponentially more with a gunsmith job on automated equipment than I can a job shop Purchase Order because production parts are about two things. Cost and cost. By contrast, guns in our culture are disposable income items. Luxury items. Were using them recreationally. People will pay a lot of money to be entertained. That is a fact validated by the very existence of this industry.

• 25 or so years ago I was chastised for daring to even ask if fitting a barrel on a turning center was worth exploring for a custom application. Now it's well on its way to becoming the industry standard. I started CNC inletting stocks right from the mold in 2003. It's just now starting to be replicated by competitors. We broke ground 2 years ago with 5 axis blueprinting. Where will that be in 20 years?

• Dragging this trade out of the 1940s has been long overdue and anyone willing to learn a new skill can get in because this is literally the gold rush of the trade. Right now anyone with a computer and an internet connection can fire up a legit seat of Fusion CAD software and begin designing parts and programming machines. You can do this for almost nothing. By comparison, my CAD/CAM package costs close to $50,000, and its over $3,000 a year to stay on maintenance. It's more powerful than Fusion, but were also doing stuff that most aren't. The meat and tators of this trade don't require anything even remotely close to that.

Respectfully, I have to disagree with virtually every single statement made in some of these posts. I've carved a very successful business from scratch doing almost exactly everything opposite of what has been said.

Your example is the exception though, not the rule. Nobody's saying you can't make a good living as a gunsmith, just that it's extremely unlikely unless a lot of other factors work out right for you as well.

If you can't make as much with your CNC machine in other industries though, maybe you're not near an aerospace industry center or don't have those contacts.

Reactions: Ledzep
    It's worth noting that there are big differences in being a CNC operator-machinist-programmer. The pay matches accordingly.

Everyone wants to be a programmer, they get paid more and it LOOKS easy.

Your example is the exception though, not the rule. Nobody's saying you can't make a good living as a gunsmith, just that it's extremely unlikely unless a lot of other factors work out right for you as well.

If you can't make as much with your CNC machine in other industries though, maybe you're not near an aerospace industry center or don't have those contacts.

I would argue this same truth applies to any business or trade. Some do better than others.

When I first started gunsmithing I lived in Northern Wisconsin. I had some business. But it was not steady, and the area is very poor. I moved here to Arkansas, the Little Rock area, and opened up a shop with my sister and her husband. Sounded good at the time. 8mo. Later I was on my own. Disagreements about lots of things.
    So I rented a 3000 sq. ft. Shop and went on my own. I got swamped. In no time at all I had a 6 mo. Backlog. I needed help. I had a good business. I have left out the fine details, but if you want to have a successful business, its not an easy road. Yes I made mistakes. Was it worth it? Yes. I am a one man shop. Creeping up on 60yrs. Old. I wont get rich, I dont have fancy CNC machines. (Mine are manual) I probably cant even program one! But I CAN use a file! I know how to do layouts, I can draw blueprints. I have great attention to detail. As stated in a previous post, I didn't start this with the intention of making lots of money. I do it because I like it! I am good at it. So, that is it. I hope y'all dont Hammer me too bad!

When I was in a similar situation considering gunsmithing as a profession, I discussed it with Stan Chen (custom 1911s, ASYM ammo). He asked me a question: What is the difference between a gunsmith and a pizza?
    Answer: A pizza can feed a family of 4.

As others have mentioned, there are definitely exceptions to that rule, but people with the talent to make it typically can make a bunch more by going other routes.

I was working at a custom gun manufacturer at the time, and that’s definitely reflective of my experience. At the same time, a successful local businessman would come in every year and buy $15k+ of guns. I decided I’d rather be able to afford to do that than work building guns everyday. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Bakwa and Ledzep

• I can bill exponentially more with a gunsmith job on automated equipment than I can a job shop Purchase Order because production parts are about two things. Cost and cost. By contrast, guns in our culture are disposable income items. Luxury items. Were using them recreationally. People will pay a lot of money to be entertained. That is a fact validated by the very existence of this industry.

• 25 or so years ago I was chastised for daring to even ask if fitting a barrel on a turning center was worth exploring for a custom application. Now it's well on its way to becoming the industry standard. I started CNC inletting stocks right from the mold in 2003. It's just now starting to be replicated by competitors. We broke ground 2 years ago with 5 axis blueprinting. Where will that be in 20 years?

• Dragging this trade out of the 1940s has been long overdue and anyone willing to learn a new skill can get in because this is literally the gold rush of the trade. Right now anyone with a computer and an internet connection can fire up a legit seat of Fusion CAD software and begin designing parts and programming machines. You can do this for almost nothing. By comparison, my CAD/CAM package costs close to $50,000, and its over $3,000 a year to stay on maintenance. It's more powerful than Fusion, but were also doing stuff that most aren't. The meat and tators of this trade don't require anything even remotely close to that.
    Yeah I'm amazed at how powerful the Fusion 360 software is. It'll do 5 axis, sheet metal bending, lathe work, 3d printing and more I'm probably forgetting. There is at least one company doing 5 axis aerospace work on DMG MORI machines totally programmed in Fusion 360! And the software is free for hobbyists! But it still takes a good designer to do something worthwhile with it. The person with the skill to design, the knowledge to program and the technical skills to machine/produce a product is a rare bird.

Yeah I'm amazed at how powerful the Fusion 360 software is. It'll do 5 axis, sheet metal bending, lathe work, 3d printing and more I'm probably forgetting. There is at least one company doing 5 axis aerospace work on DMG MORI machines totally programmed in Fusion 360! And the software is free for hobbyists! But it still takes a good designer to do something worthwhile with it. The person with the skill to design, the knowledge to program and the technical skills to machine/produce a product is a rare bird.

Fusion is a very capable software but it's not ITAR compliant.

1) When I was at the university of Washington engineering, I had to take a non engineering senior class, so I took administrative organization in the business department. A large male senior got up and spoke. He was on the UW football team on a scholarship. He said there were 100 colleges each with about 100 football players, and most of them thought they were going to be pro ball players. He said if you are not an allstar in your freshman year, the scouts are not interested. But even 4th string seniors think they will be pro ball players.
    2) My roommate in college was front man for a rock band with Farwest booking. He played a week at a tavern in WA, OR, ID, or MT. He knew all the other bands, and said they all thought they would get a recording contract and make the big time.
    3) My son is a software engineer at google and makes $350k/ year. He is working from home durning covid, so I get to watch him at his house. All he does is talk to other engineers about what users are clicking on.

Don't sell yourself short. You're an innovator, you're certainly competent from a business standpoint and you've made the right investments back into your business at the right times. You might be a phenomenal smith, but you're also an accomplished entrepreneur and savvy businessman. Certainly the exception, and not the rule.

I'd wager you could have been successful (in many cases more so) in most other business ventures. I mean this as a compliment as much as an argument. Being a great gunsmith alone isn't going to get someone to your level. That takes a special type of person with traits that can't be learned from a book, and that few learn with a lifetime of experience.

I know nothing about gunsmithing, so take this with a pinch of salt......

Success in any endeavour is a combination of work ethic, passion and skill.
    Every person i know who id consider successful absolutely lives and breathes what they do, almost every waking moment is consumed by how to do what they do, better.
    That covers everyone from regular employees, small business owners to investors and entrepreneurs.

Using myself as an example, I'm a forklift driver. I earn 3x the average income for my job, why?
    Work ethic (overtime and extra shifts) and skill, plus I genuinely enjoy what I do.

My point is, if you love what you do, you'll make money and your customers will appreciate your dedication and quality so if you can afford to, why not invest in yourself?

I would say to learn to be a real tool & diemaker machinist who knows how to make things from scratch on a turret/engine lathe and precision milling machine. I spent many years doing this in both oilfield and prototype/precision work, and would help a buddy of mine off and on in his gunsmith business. I knew very little about guns compared to him, but he would bring me a component and say "I need you to make/modify this.." The real problem he had though was getting paid for what his services were worth. You definitely won't be eating steak every night being a gunsmith.

Tell me with a straight face that a 5-axis CNC center is making more money facing off actions and thread milling 8-32 scope base holes instead of making aircraft-- or even gun parts that actually require the 5th, or even the 4th axis.

ETA2: dixon has a reputation within this industry. I'm not here to start a shit show but his business practices and motives could very easily be called questionable at best, depending on where you sit... PM me if you want the original text.

ETA: I thought about it a bit and the above is a tangent away from the OP's topic. My apologies. To bring things back around, what I'll say is regardless of whether it's gun related or not, watch out for stuff like the above (shady businesses that shit on employees). From the couple of other machining and manufacturing jobs/internships that I've done, my experience is that they were all much more professional, efficient, and economical. I mean that as the worker, and as the business. Don't let your passion get you in a place that you can barely afford gas to get to work. Machining OEM automotive parts may not sound sexy but by the time you're on your 15th (of the same) gun part it's all the same. Things like work flow, GD&T, and experience with a plethora of materials and manufacturing processes are great eye openers, and good things to be exposed to. If you can land a job that pays well being a GS/apprentice then go for it, but there's no doubt there's going to be more available opportunities with machine/fab shops.

Last edited:
    Yeah... PM if you want the original text. Not worth my time here for the shit show.

This past week, I've been looking into certs and degrees at community colleges and tech schools around me. Outside of going back to school to get [another degree] as a Mech Engineer or going into a 6-12 month welding program, I'm not finding anything machinist or metal working specific, or that trains people on mills, lathes, etc... Am I overlooking something, or is this a field that people just "walk" into?

Last edited:
    No you aren't overlooking this is the problem that has been going on community Colleges have been dumping these programs because they say their is no demand yet I constantly hear that they can't find good machinist. I had to drive an hour and a half one way when I went to school for precision machine technology because my local college got rid of their program which they now have back going again.

Reactions: Bakwa and Ledzep
    Yeah they do exist. I'll ask around the tool room tomorrow and see what they look for (experience vs. certs or whatever) when they hire. I know we've had new guys walk on that are fresh out of high school and over a summer (or less) they're using all of the manual machines effectively and start working with the CNC, EDM, etc.. thereafter.

I thought CNC machinist was one of those job fields where many people do an apprenticeship with a company, as in take lots of math/programming courses in high school or get a 2-year mathematics/programing degree in junior college, and then apprentice at cut pay until you make journeyman?

I think that ECCO Machine is in the process of succeeding at something like what you want to do and are following the specialize and build out a shop method, and their Facebook page is a diary of their progress: https://www.facebook.com/ECCOmachine/posts/?_fb_noscript=1

So they're saying they look for guys with previous work experience and if they know what they're doing, that can replace a cert/school, but for someone without work experience a cert/diploma from a tech school or program is almost a necessity. I think the local high schools/community colleges have courses they can take that doesn't take too long to get into it.

So they're saying they look for guys with previous work experience and if they know what they're doing, that can replace a cert/school, but for someone without work experience a cert/diploma from a tech school or program is almost a necessity. I think the local high schools/community colleges have courses they can take that doesn't take too long to get into it.
    Do you know what kind of programs they look for?

Learn welding and machine work. You'll make a fortune and can start your gun business on the side while actually being able to afford food.

Welding is availble to learn in a few different flavors. My problem is that I can't find any cert or degree in North FL geared towards "machine work" or the like.