• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cargo trailer conversion to camper - anyone done?

Re: Cargo trailer conversion to camper - anyone done?

Thought about the same thing with just a couple fold-down beds. If your going to go all ut like this guy your a lot better off just buying a small camper trailer for the same price (stove,toilet,beds,storage,tanks,etc already installed)

One of my bosses did this with a long cargo trailer so he could haul his two Harleys. He spec'ed all the internals and put them in himself, so he was satisfied with the components -- but said he'd probably just buy one outright next time (as it took him several years of after-work and weekends to build).

My wifes uncle was able to purchase an old Shortline bus and made that thing into an awesome motorhome... Queen size bed full size shower... man what a Marine can do with a little bit of thinking!

Although it wasn't mine a good friend of mine used to race RC cars and his pit trailer had all types of amenities essentially turning it into a camper. The only thing was his shower required you to be outside but he had an "outside" shower from Cabela's mounted on a removable hanger. He would stand on an overturned soda tray so his feet wouldn't get dirty. It had satellite, full electricity from a generator, AC and heat. Neat little setup and very stealthy.

Depending on a few things they work great, but, most will likely be heavier when you Finnish than you want. Also a storage trailer setting out an about w/o folks around will draw a lot of attention, where as a camper mostly will get the reverse action.

You can't really get a grip on how cheaply modern campers are made until you try to achieve the same weight vs floor plan vs front money. Cheap-ness has become an art form with some mfg'ers.

Ya wondering about all of this - but there are RV wrecking yards that have stuff too..

Cargo Trailer: $1500
12' Camper trailer teardrop: $18,000

I think I can do it cheaper....but it will take time...

One of the guys on another shooting forum that frequent built one. Not nearly as nice as this one though.

What he did diferently was added a couple of windows and a camo paint job. He turned his trailor into a hunting rig. Sit inside where it's warm with the coffee, and when you see a deer open the window and shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Situation Normal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of the guys on another shooting forum that frequent built one. Not nearly as nice as this one though.

What he did diferently was added a couple of windows and a camo paint job. He turned his trailor into a hunting rig. Sit inside where it's warm with the coffee, and when you see a deer open the window and shoot. </div></div>

Well the guy down in your neck of the woods has these 5x8's for $1490 right now - hell of a deal on this type of trailer as they hold their value!!

I definitely want one, but whether I convert it or not is up in the air.

I'll be down there next weekend, might pick it up then...

ArcticLight:

I don't have pictures, but a friend converted the front 8 feet of a 24 foot car trailer into a really nice sleeping/camping area. The rest is for his car or bikes. It's cozy, but comfy. Bed, TV, VCR, small AC unit, sink w. small water tank. I think the grey water just pours out under, tho... No toilet. He carries a BBQ. I loved the setup and he had wood paneling and really made it ritzy. He lives in it at car events and on the road.

The Misses and I have been tempted to find an old (small) Airstream and gut it. Put in our own interior. Some of those older Airstreams are eminently rebuildable and can be had for short $. You just have to watch for chassis rot, but the 'shells' are very durable.

I agree... if you have even some 'home fix-it' talent, you can DIY a trailer and make it a lot nicer than anything from the RV store.

Cheers,

Sirhr