• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carlos Hathcock

ghorsley

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2010
Georgia
I just finished reading "Marine Sniper" by Charles Henderson.

Can anyone explain to me how a Marine who personally kills 93 of the enemy including a Chinese general, pulls his comrades out of an inferno and after 20 years, leaves the Marines with only a Purple Heart?

Something is not right about this.....

Re: Carlos Hathcock

As time goes on, more ribbons get passed out.

Look at WW11 compaired to WW1, Look at WW11/Korea compaired to Vietnam, Look at Vietnam compaired to todays military.

Just look at pictures of soldiers in uniform through out history. Ribbons pile up as time goes on.

I forget in what account of Gunnery Sergeant Hathcock's life I read this, but somewhere he said that he didn't care much for decorations since he knew the Marines who got to go home alive were the reward he needed, not a medal.

The Virginia MARINE CORPS LEAGUE submitted to Congress a request for the Congressional Medal of Honor for Gunny back in 1989. At least he was alive to receive the Silver Star in 1996.

You are so right, Kraig.
I look at some of the service people nowadays and thin, "WOW!!! Super-hero". I've seen spec 4's with 4 and 5 rows of ribbons. But if you look at many of the ribbons they're awarded for perfect attendance, clean plates, made up the bunk 5 days in a row without having to be told, nice hair cut, and so on.

Look for those ribbons that have only red, white and blue in them. These set apart the men from the merit badge collectors.

Yeah, I look at pictures of my Father, who spent a lot more time in combat as an infantryman (south pacific) then I did in Vietnam. He had one row, I have three. I have a step son who has been in the Air NG for about 5-6 years, he has 4 rows, he's never been on active duty or deployed.

I really don't care or pay attention to ribbons. The only ones of mine that really matter to me is my Distinguished Rifle Badge, my jump wings, and my CIB. The rest are "been there ribbons).

Maybe my national defense ribbon......I did earn it, spent a lot of time on fire watch while in basic and AIT in those old drafty WWII Baracks.

I don't mean this as dispurgement against todays soliders, I'm just saying things are different now, as they were different for Vietnam and WWII.