• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Carry 1911

joe90

Private
Minuteman
So I was wondering what everyone's opinions on what 1911's you would trust as a carry pistol and which ones you wouldn't. Something in the $1000 range + or - a couple hundred. I'm looking to get on in the next year or so and looking to get my CCW next summer when I turn 21 and want something I can trust my life with. Thanks for the help in advance guys.

PS feel free to throw in other handguns if you want. I'm just trying to get a feel for what is reliable and people out there trust their lives with. And I just really love 1911's

Re: Carry 1911

I love my 1911s but I'm typically too lazy to carry them.

I compete with 1911's and shoot tens of thousands of rounds through them a year. I just started looking into getting my CHL and I'll probably end up carrying a 1911 as well.

I just picked up a Les Baer Premier II for a around your price. I also have 15,000 or so rounds through my STI Trojan and would trust it.

The 3" 1911's are actually pretty easy to shoot and I may look into one of those.

The Springfield EMP has had rave reviews and it runs about 1,000$

If the 1911's dont work out I'll probably end up with one of the baby Glocks to carry...never shot one but the price is right(500$)

I carry a full size Smith and Wesson 1911 (clone) stainless tactical model as an off duty and court gun. I am a decent sized guy so I am able to conceal it well. I use a Stoner Leather Holster for off duty and a Blackhawk for court. A lot of people knock the Smith 1911. Smith made the frame and slide for Kimber until recently Kimber started doing thier own and they are having problems with the frames and cant quite get the external extractor down yet. Smith also makes the barrels everything else is Wilson Combat. Our range master has put 10,000 rnds through his and no problems. I paid about $850.00 for it.

I carry a Colt 1991 A1 Commander. It's not pretty but it's <span style="text-decoration: underline">always</span> worked.

Thanks for the opinions. I had looked for used Les Baer and Wilson Combats but couldn't find anything for less than like $1800. I hav only heard good things about them. Hadn't really heard anything about the smith's before but I will definatly have to look into them. Also I'm 215 lbs and 6'6" so I should be able to conceal it pretty well. I wanted to steer clear of the shorter barrelled 1911's because I had heard of operating errors on them because the 1911 is meant to be a 5" barrel. I heard the 4.25" commanders are pretty reliable as well but havn't gotten a chance to see how they feel. I have big hands so I think the smaller ones might not feel right. I had looked at Dan Wessons a while back but now everywhere I look prices have jumped about $200+ on them. Also had looked at the Springfield TRP's but I feel they are really overpriced for what you get as well. Thanks again for the input.

The barrel is not the hard thing to conceal with a 1911, the harder part is the grip.

No matter what you decide to get I would make sure that it is going to run flawless on 500 rounds of whatever ammo you intend to carry. And that means take it to the range, and run 500 rounds thru it without cleaning it (other than initial cleaning) for those 500 rounds. If it has a hiccup, then you start over from the beginning on the count. It might sound like it is going to be expensive, and it might very well be expensive BUT how much is your life worth?

IIRC it was Vickers who said "If you are going to treat your gun like your lawmower, buy a Glock". 1911's usually need to be maintained and kept pretty well lubed to make sure they run constantly. Most people strap on their pistol and go about their lives and dont think about it any more. You can do that with a Glock but I wouldnt suggest doing it with a 1911.

Big steel pistol is not fun to conceal. Your pants will sag unless you wear the tell-tale gun belt. If you are like me, you look pretty suspicious walking around wearing a jacket or coat in a tropical climate! For CCW, get a lightweight plastic gun with a smaller print. Won't be as much of a burden to carry and conceal...and yes I like 1911's too but thats pretty much a combat pistol you carry in a holster on your side...not discounting the commander/officer models that are smaller in size.

There really aren't too many "lightweight plastic gun with a smaller print." The 1911 is super thin and flat, and so it's very easy to conceal. The problem is the weight, not the size.

I find it way harder to conceal a Glock 19 than a 1911. I still carry the Glock because the weight is nice.

The HK P7 is a joy to carry as well. Not as light as the Glock, but plenty flat.

Full size Kimber 1911 here. Get a Milt Sparks VM2 and its like it isn't there.

1911s are flat and fairy easy to conceal, you just need the right leather.

Given your budget, I would just buy some stock Colt 1991, SA Mil-Spec, or equivalent and send it to a reputable smith for what is typically called a "reliability" or "carry" package. No sense shelling out all of your dough for features you may not even need/like. Even the $2000+ Wilsons, and Ed Browns are not devoid from going back to fix hiccups.

As for carry, Go Milt Sparks. For a while, I tried other things, but always came back to my Milt Sparks. But that's what works for me, my size, training, familiarity, dress style.

And I know you say you like the 1911, but you should carry what WORKS for you and not what you think would be cool. Try different shit and keep an open mind.

And if you lean toward the 1911, and you want maximum reliability, consider this:

It was originally designed to be a 5" barrel in .45ACP. Jeff Cooper, Larry Vickers and many more agree that when you deviate from the original by shortening the barrel or changing caliber, you are will be sacrificing reliability to some degree.

i daily carry a custom built Springfield 1911 fullsize. i trust it over any of my other guns

this is my 10mm bob.just like my wallet leaves everyday with me.
cbob190.jpg

My full size 1911 is a Kimber and, while I love shooting it, I could never carry. Just too large and prominent for me. I have shot, but don't own, Kimber's Ultra Carry II. Snappy, but accurate for the 3" barrel length. If I were to try and carry a 1911, that would be it.

Does Springfield custom shop only accept springfields? or do they accept others too? also what are some common things I would want to get for a carry 1911?

as for carrying what works I know what you mean. I had looked into Sigs, HK's, S&W, and others but none felt as good in my hand or shot better than the 1911's I tried at the range. I'm also planning on getting a heavy duty belt to use when carrying when I get my CCW.

I concur. 1911's carry very well, just need the right leather. I too use a Sparks VM2, and a belt from thebeltman.net Great products, you won't be disappointed.

I carry a Colt New Agent (lightweight 3" variant) and haven't had any issues since it was sent back for the recall repair...it still leaves me a bit uneasy but I haven't had a single issue with he gun since.
I also have an XD40 (never have had a single issue) and an HK ups tac 45 (too big for me to carry) but still without a single hitch.
My biggest issue is concealing a handle, not a barrel length.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engineer Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My biggest issue is concealing a handle, not a barrel length.</div></div>

Exactly. As I said in another thread about carry, I gave in and went to a .380 (KelTec P3AT) for my carry solution. Everything else I tried either would end up in my bag, car or desk drawer due to comfort issues or wardrobe limitations. The little .380 goes in my pocket like a wallet or car keys and is no bother to have with all day.

Tried Kahr's in larger calibres, but could never get them to cycle reliably, even with "good stuff", so I punted on those.

Yes, I can read a ballistics table. .45 ACP has the stopping power of a bazooka. But so does my .308 and my 12 Guage. None of which is useful if I don't have with...

Sorry. Back to 1911's!

I carry 1911s. I carry either a 5" or 4.25" - NHC or Wilson. I own others such as LBs, etc. A GOOD holster with the proper cant/tilt helps conceal about any 1911.

The 1911 is a great weapon. As long as you follow maintenance procedures, (check the lefthand column) one should perform fine (providing it has a good builder in the first place). In your price range I would suggest Fusion Firearms for a new one. Don't think by paying less for some 1911s that you are always getting a deal - it is better to pay up front for quality, IMO. You can just get the basics to save money, but make sure the company knows the basics "well" et. al. The field is open for used ones - I found a Wilson for $700 'once.'

1911-8-2-1.jpg

Holsters.jpg

I carry a Les Baer TR Special off duty in a Milt Sparks IWB holster. I bought the holster and belt at TR. I got one of the early TR specials (ser# -150) and Clint said run it thru the whole Team Tactics course w/o cleaning and let him know when it puked. After class and 1058 rounds there were no malfunctions. I cleaned it then just to see how dirty it was. It was DIRTY. I've carried it ever since. In summer I usually just throw on a short sleeve shirt over a T shirt and leave the tails out. If I have to dress for an occasion, a light sport coat seems to work.
JH

i wear my 1911 IWB with a supertuck, i wear t shirts and you dont even see a buldge with the handle.

You have to adapt regardless of the gun you carry for it to be well hidden.

I carried a Nighthawk custom GRP in 4.25 for a long time. I got a good deal on a Kimber ultra carry so I bought it and its all I carry now, I love it.

I was looking at the supertuck holster. How do you like it ls6? The price is right and no 6 month waiting! Plus it looks like they work for all sizes of 1911 from full size to commander correct?

I'm 5'9" 205 but dont know if I can conceal a full size 1911

I built a Caspian Comm and it rides in a VM-II. Or I carry one of my full size ones. I have shot quite a bit with all of them and trust my life with them.

Oh and Im 5'8" at 202 lbs and have no problem with a t shirt tucked in then a larger t-shirt over it. I use the 511 gunbelt, it looks like a regular leather belt but feels like a hoola hoop.

newgrips001.jpg

I carry a Kimber TAC PRO II in a Galco holster. I carry a gun everywhere and have been doing so for 28 years. Living and working in South Florida makes for one of the toughest states to carry year round, concealed. A good holster is the trick to concealment. Anyone who has carried a gun for a while probably has a box full of holsters somewhere that did'nt fit the bill. Find the gun you're most comfortable with and shoot well, then search for a holster that best conceals and secures your weapon. To steal a line I once heard; "Guns are supposed to be comforting, not comfortable". Good Luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm 5'9" 205 but dont know if I can conceal a full size 1911 </div></div>I'm 6' 185 and conceal one in Florida hot weather on a regular basis.... It just takes a good holster or two ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joe90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have some words on STI's and SIG's (1911's of course)? Also does anyone know the wait time on Fusion's and if there is one for the Milt Sparks VM2? </div></div>Fusions use to take around 90-120 days - but at times they have some in stock .... Fusions will 'normally' fit any standard holster made for a 5" or 4.25", etc. ...

http://nossargunleather.com/catalog.htm
http://www.holsters.org/
http://www.hbeleatherworks.com/
http://www.c-rusty.com/pages/ordering.html
http://www.taurisholsters.com/
http://www.5shotleather.com/
http://www.alessigunholsters.com/

and others ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joe90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sorry for the confusion on that last post. I meant it as is there a wait on the Milt Sparks VM2 or is it pretty much just waiting for a normal online order? </div></div>
Lightning Arms normally has them in stock ...

DSCN1899.jpg

I've carried this or one like it for over three decades. Fortunately, 30 years ago I didn't know they were too heavy and impossible to conceal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joe90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sorry for the confusion on that last post. I meant it as is there a wait on the Milt Sparks VM2 or is it pretty much just waiting for a normal online order? </div></div>

At least 6 months on the VMII. I think they are quoting 26 weeks right now. Also, to get an order in you must call them during the first few days of the month as they now do a monthly quota and it is sometimes full in the first day. You are going to wait for a good holster. Have a look at H.B.E. gunleather. He quoted me 8-10 weeks a few days ago. Nice holsters too.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm 5'9" 205 but dont know if I can conceal a full size 1911</div></div> coming from 5'8", 195 and built like a tank...be honest as it will help, is it a gut or are you made of concrete, like me? makes for two very different forms for concealing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engineer Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm 5'9" 205 but dont know if I can conceal a full size 1911</div></div> coming from 5'8", 195 and built like a tank...be honest as it will help, is it a gut or are you made of concrete, like me? makes for two very different forms for concealing. </div></div>

Not built like I used to be but still running 15 miles a week and doing body weight lifting. Probably mid teens body fat wise.

Just another short stocky guy who used to lift a lot!

I currently have a Kimber Custom II, it's a fullsize 1911 and I can carry it fairly easy without anyone noticing. The trick, like many have said, is a good holster. A good paddle holster will work wonders on the long frames these 1911s have. I'm 18, 5'9 and about 180lbs at the moment. If you carry it right behind your hip, almost to your right back pocket but not quite you can conceal the long pistol grip of the gun (works for me and I have a slightly extended magazine). Take a look at the Blackhawk Serpa line of holesters. It's plastic and it will probably scrath the hell out of a pistol but in my mind that's perfectly fine with me so long as it functions the way it is supposed to.

I just picked up a level 2 CQC holster today for my 1911 and with a jacket it's concealable (it sits outside the pants).

Hope that helped.

By the way if you're going to carry you can't skimp on maintenace, they may be designed to be a combat psitol but the tolerances are a lot tighter than say a Glock.

I would also say one has to dress correctly when they carry. Making sure you wear a shirt long enough to cover and wide enough so that you dont print. I have carried a full size 1911 for years. Nevey any problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticFun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at the Blackhawk Serpa line of holesters. It's plastic and it will probably scrath the hell out of a pistol but in my mind that's perfectly fine with me so long as it functions the way it is supposed to. </div></div>

The blackhawk is a nice holster, but my general rule is that 1911s go in leather and plastic goes in kydex.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticFun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By the way if you're going to carry you can't skimp on maintenace, they may be designed to be a combat psitol but the tolerances are a lot tighter than say a Glock. </div></div>

+1

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engineer Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm 5'9" 205 but dont know if I can conceal a full size 1911</div></div> coming from 5'8", 195 and built like a tank...be honest as it will help, is it a gut or are you made of concrete, like me? makes for two very different forms for concealing. </div></div>

Not built like I used to be but still running 15 miles a week and doing body weight lifting. Probably mid teens body fat wise.

Just another short stocky guy who used to lift a lot!

</div></div>

so a similar build...I really have issues with handle length more than anything. My 3" 1911 actually hurts to carry for a long while, as it'll dig into my hips. I'll be making a custom holster in the coming weeks to see if it helps. If not, I'm on to the next pistol or back to the xd40 for a while.

I'm suppose to be cutting another 20 lbs for the corps, though my OSO already says I'm definitely gonna have to get taped...that and he said to stop benching 325 lol

I carry a full sized Kimber 1911 during the colder months. It rides very weill in a Galco OWB concealment holster. In the warmer months i carry either a Colt New Agent or a Glock 27. All ride in Galco leather. I havent had any issues with printing and i carry every where except to work(military base).

My wife carries a Walther PPS in 9mm riding in Galco leather.

The key to CC is find the right holster to carry the weapon you have. CC is about dressing properly to conceal the firearm. You can conceal a compact 1911 wearing a pair of shorts and a t-shirt with the right holster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebra308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would also say one has to <span style="font-weight: bold">dress correctly</span> when they carry. </div></div>That is for SURE. Since we are in FL, Hawaiian shirts cover everything ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebra308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carry a full size Smith and Wesson 1911 (clone) stainless tactical model as an off duty and court gun. I am a decent sized guy so I am able to conceal it well. I use a Stoner Leather Holster for off duty and a Blackhawk for court. A lot of people knock the Smith 1911. Smith made the frame and slide for Kimber until recently Kimber started doing thier own and they are having problems with the frames and cant quite get the external extractor down yet. Smith also makes the barrels everything else is Wilson Combat. Our range master has put 10,000 rnds through his and no problems. I paid about $850.00 for it. </div></div>

I also regularly carry a Smith & Wesson 1911. It is an excellent shooting gun for me, feeds everything I've tried reliably, and even conceals pretty well IWB with my Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro holster.

My wife hates my Hawaiian shirts, I dont know if its becasue they creep her out or because we live in Ohio and not to close to the ocean lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebra308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My wife hates my Hawaiian shirts, I dont know if its becasue they creep her out or because we live in Ohio and not to close to the ocean lol. </div></div>If I lived in Ohio I wouldn't wear them either, but down here - Micky would be disappointed if I didn't .
sick.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joe90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
PS feel free to throw in other handguns if you want. I'm just trying to get a feel for what is reliable and people out there trust their lives with. And I just really love 1911's </div></div>

I love 1911's also but everytime I purchase one I never carry it. I have had compacts, sub-compacts and full size ones. I always end up carrying my Glock. So, to sum it up...get a GLOCK! Nuff said.

I carry a Wilson with an aluminum frame and a bobtail. It's the perfect carry gun, but expensive. You'd be surprised how much difference 7-8 oz lighter weight makes over the course of a day. I think Baer now makes an aluminum framed gun, not sure if they'll bob it. Those would be my first choices. You might be able to get close to your budget by buying used.

For new, I know both S&W and Kimber make aluminum frame guns. Having owned 3 Kimbers in the past, I wouldn't own another. I don't know a thing about the S&W other than to say the ones I've fondled in the local GS looked pretty good.