• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carry Handle Optics Mounts

Awag1000

Interstellar Weapon Systems
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2020
Eastern South Carolina
I have a love for retro ARs. I absolutely love RMR's and micro red dots. HOWEVER, I seriously hate height over bore. The lower the better.

Ive been doing a ton of research into companies that make RMR mounts for carry handles. All the ones I've found are optics mounts that sit on top the carry handle making the height over bore absolutely unacceptable. I have taken the liberty to spend a few hours on Fusion 360 to design a lower 1/3 gooseneck RMR mount. This is only a rendering and (pulled for Intellectual property reasons) I currently have a prototype being 3D Printed for a proof of concept. If my design is good and the print is accurate I should be able to maintain a proper zero with it only being made from plastic. More info and pictures once a good 3D print comes available.

More goodies on the way.
Thank you for your time. - Austin

Last edited:
The gooseneck is the only other way I am familiar with connecting an optic. Most are on top, using a #2 ARMS Picatinny mount or a 16A mount. The gooseneck was used with M68 MCO.
Yeah I'm a fan of the Gooseneck mount. I plan on making one for each modern micro optic footprint. Basically modernizing retro guns with modern optics but keeping the retro appeal.

Getting one made out of aluminum is going to be expensive. To get one made on a CNC machine is going to run me about $650. To get the price down to something reasonable, I would have to order a minimum of 100 units. Even then they'll still be around $175. Honestly I'm going to try different 3D printed plastics. Some of the MJF nylon offerings are really nice and strong. I'm going to do some heavy testing to see what works. Maybe by then there should be enough interest to make a small CNC'd aluminum run.

-Austin

Here is the first prototype sitting in the carry handle of my 20" AR. It is not securely fastened but is nice and tight for the fitment. Looking down the sights it is slightly lower than absolute co-witness. This was printed on a SLS Printer and currently the design seems a little floppy. Adjustments have been made and are currently being printed.
Thanks for reading. - Austin
20230821_122529.jpg

Prototype V2 is here and it's 100% better. I had this one printed out of glass reinforced nylon on a MJF printer. Even in plastic form the thumb screw locks it down nice and tight to the carry handle. I need to file down the screw a bit so it doesn't obstruct the irons. This version seems to be great and way less floppy. More testing and prototyping to come.
Thanks for your interest. -Austin
20230828_165700.jpg
20230828_165728.jpg
20230828_165808.jpg

Attachments

• 20230828_165700.jpg
    20230828_165700.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 812
Reactions: MadDuner
I have never seen one stay tight, or no matter how tight you make it the mount ends up wiggling loose, before flat tops were popular i almost bedded the ARMS mount to my carry handle to keep it in place.

I have never seen one stay tight, or no matter how tight you make it the mount ends up wiggling loose, before flat tops were popular i almost bedded the ARMS mount to my carry handle to keep it in place.
That's what I've heard. However I plan to do something about this. Weather it be a form of anti vibration thread locker like VC3 or look for another option.

I’m still a fan of old-school 4x20 for my old rifles. This scope has been beaten mercilessly for many many years, yet holds zero.

IMG_0685.jpeg

So I'm looking into getting the V3 prototype either 3D printed in Aluminum or just jump straight to a CNC machined prototype. the CNC machined prototype will be very expensive but I'm willing to go out on a limb. I'll do my due diligence and get a professional opinion along with some other options. Thanks again for your interest. -Austin

Okay, down to the meat and potatos. I decided to take the 3D printed mount out to the local 25 yard indoor range to see what it can do. my hopes arent that high since its plastic.
20230905_184322.jpg
I made a hasty zero to see if it'll hold.
20230905_184546.jpg
its okay for an unsupported shot. My hopes still aren't high. Next I pulled the mount off and put it back on to see if it'll retain zero.
20230905_184809.jpg
so I goofed and the thread locker I used decided to roll up and pop off the screw and wedged itself between the carry handle and the mount completely throwing off the zero (100% my fault.)
20230905_185700.jpg
20230905_185603.jpg
I cleared the goop out and I remounted and rezero'd the optic and did the test again.
20230905_185906.jpg
here is the zero target (top) and 3 rounds after I removed the mount and reinstalled it ((bottom)aimed at the "C", Pulled 1 shot my fault)
20230905_184745.jpg
So, the last 4 rounds I dimmed the RMR (to get a finer aiming point) to see how tight I can get a group. Seems to work fairly decent for 3D printed plastic.
20230905_185950.jpg
20230905_190147.jpg
Thanks for viewing this "totally not scientific test of my prototype". More to come- Austin

Attachments

• 20230905_185950.jpg
    20230905_185950.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 15