• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carrying Bolt action rifle on motorcycle

SlowFarmer

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Western Mass
I am wondering if anyone has any clever solutions for taking their rifle on their motorcycle. I'd love to be able to ride to matches. I usually use a drag bag but would be willing to get a hard case and rig up some kind of bracket to attach to my rack if anyone has done something similar. Thanks

lol seeing someone rolling down the highway on a motorcycle wearing a drag bag would definitely get a thumbs up from me. That's badass.

Depends on the bike. My KLR650 has a great rack (yes she does), Ive T-Boned long guns on it more than once for trips back and forth from my FFL. Sportbikes/nakeds may be more difficult. You could carry a torque wrench with you, and remove the barreled action for the stock to cut down on OAL. Either way I'd trt to transport it in something that doesnt look like a gun case if its going to be an extended ride obviously. Good luck with finding your solution.

What kind of bike do you have? That'll help with suggestions. Do you currently have hard luggage attached?

EDIT TO AD:
Also, what rifle, stock/chassis, barrel length, ammo amount requirements etc. I...we... need more details of your current gear/bike.

It's a ktm 690 enduro r. I have traveled all over with it and have luggage racks and tail rack but only use soft panniers not hard luggage.

Rifle has 26" barrel in manners t4a.

The thought of just strapping it "t bone" style across back rack did occur to me but was wondering if there were any more stable solutions out there.

Ive worn it in drag bag as a backpack few times to my local range but the weight and wind buffeting would be a killer on my back more than half hour.

I would imagine a hard case would be kinda slippy trying to keep it in place. I would do a heavy duty soft case; eberlestock, tacops, armagedon gear. That way when you synch the tie downs, it will "grab" the soft case and reduce the chance of the case slipping out.

Personally, I'd use rope with half hitches, clove hitches and running bowlines.

If you're anywhere near Pittsburgh PA, I'd be glad to show you.

Drag bag on the back would be pretty entertaining to see going down the road. I've never even thought of carrying my PRS rig on my big, just too damn long. With my ARs I just break them down and put them in a backpack and slip a cardboard shipping tube over the barrel where it pokes out of the bag. Everything is legal about how I carry it, but people get weird about seeing gun barrels and I just don't feel like dealing with that.

Everyone knows that Guns + Crotch Rockets = Insanely BAD Person! Sincerely, simple minded Lib mathematician.

I had the mental image of dragging the drag bag, ouch.

I like the scabbard idea but you'd need a pirate eye patch to make it really work right.

Couldn't shake this image, lol.

deltabike.jpg