• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

cartridge wont chamber

joemusso

The Brass annealer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 14, 2011
    Henderson, NV.
    I have some twice fired brass i have loaded and they wont chamber.

brass is a mixture of LC,lapua,win,FC

Here is what I do am I missing anything to cause the cartridge not to chamber.
    1: deprime
    2: cleaned
    3: prep, trim
    4: resized neck and primed (should i be FL sizing)
    5: charged
    6: seated bullet

thank you
    joe

Re: cartridge wont chamber

Were they twice fired in the gun you're attempting to chamber them in? If not, then FL Resize to fix the problem. FL Resize should fix the problem anyway, unless the case is too long and needs to be trimmed.

yes there were shot out of the gun im trying to chamber them in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joemusso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...

3: FL size to .001" to .002" under fired brass length
    4: resize neck
    5: trim / prep
    6: prime
    7: charge
    8: seat bullet

...</div></div>
    Fixed it for you.

You want to trim only after you FL size and neck size as each will cause the COAL to grow.

Also, if you don't already have a "bump" or headspace gauge and a set of dial calipers, you will need a set. Then you can measure the headspace and OAL of brass that chambers, your once fired brass and your sized brass. This will allow you to set up your FL die to minimally size the brass as well.

There are a million reasons your ammo won't chamber.

Ultimately though, your reloaded ammo is too big somewhere, or there is debris in your chamber.

Clean your chamber and retry.

If it's still a no-go, do some measuring and find out what's too big, and then fix it.

Sorry to be so short, but come on - this is really fundamental stuff anyone making their own ammo shouldn't have to ask about.

Make your ammo smaller somehow - preferably only in the dimension(s) that require being smaller.

Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joemusso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...

3: FL size to .001" to .002" under fired brass length
    4: resize neck
    5: trim / prep
    6: prime
    7: charge
    8: seat bullet

...</div></div>
    Fixed it for you.

You want to trim only after you FL size and neck size as each will cause the COAL to grow.

Also, if you don't already have a "bump" or headspace gauge and a set of dial calipers, you will need a set. Then you can measure the headspace and OAL of brass that chambers, your once fired brass and your sized brass. This will allow you to set up your FL die to minimally size the brass as well. </div></div>

95% of the time, this is the answer. Not F/L sizing far enough and bumping the shoulder back .002" or so . The only addition I'd make to the above post is to get a digital set of calipers. The numbers will be there staring at you, easy to see and read. A bump gauge is necessary. The Sinclair gauge is a good one to buy.

A rare occurrence is having the decapping set way too low and having the expander button bottoming out inside on the case head, causing the die not being able to fully size.

I get that this is fundamental stuff but I m new and if I have missed something important I would like to know

I get that this is fundamental stuff but I m new and if I have missed something important I would like to know

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joemusso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have some twice fired brass i have loaded and they wont chamber.

brass is a mixture of LC,lapua,win,FC

3: prep, trim
    4: resized neck and primed (should i be FL sizing)
    5: charged
    6: seated bullet

thank you
    joe </div></div>
    Take a look at this and see if it helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6LXdYi1Pl0&feature=colike