• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cat - Broke Leg

MtnCreek

Moderater
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2012
I think I have a cat with a broke hind leg. Looks like it may be broke just below the knee. I'm not messing with it for the moment cause I put my boot on his hind leg to rub him a little and he had a fit. Leaving him alone for now. Is there anything I can give/do for an outdoor tom to help til the vet opens in the morning? Minimags are probably more expensive than vets nowadays. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: oneshot86
Yes, get him contained. An injured cat will often go hide some place inaccessible. I had to pull up a section of my deck after one of my cats got injured by the garage door.

Reactions: Badfinger
By best advice is to set it yourself as best you can and let it heal on its own.

Just went through this(dog). After a splint at the vet, a re-wrap, antibiotics, topical sprays, x rays, and pain meds.... we spent $1300 and ended up cuttimg the damn splint off and letting it heal naturally.

If the cat isnt putting weight on it... it wont until it feels like it can.

Another .02
If its an outside cat, it will never be right. Slower and less nimble, the humane thing is euthanasia.
Shred

By best advice is to set it yourself as best you can and let it heal on its own.

Just went through this(dog). After a splint at the vet, a re-wrap, antibiotics, topical sprays, x rays, and pain meds.... we spent $1300 and ended up cuttimg the damn splint off and letting it heal naturally.

If the cat isnt putting weight on it... it wont until it feels like it can.

Another .02
If its an outside cat, it will never be right. Slower and less nimble, the humane thing is euthanasia.
Shred
Saw my wife (then girlfriend) go down that road. We have a good country vet. Large animal, but does the cat-dog stuff too. I feel comfortable letting him check it out. But I do understand what you're saying. I've sowed up a few critters.

Reactions: oneshot86
Try to catch the joker in a carrier. Probably best to let it stay in there so it doesn’t injure itself worse or easily preyed upon.

These work well for transporting them.

1615846357841.png

Unlike dogs, Cats are priceless treasures and the royalty of the animal kingdom. Pay whatever it costs to get him attended to properly.

Why did his caretaker allow him to be harmed in the first place? You need to fire them immediately and replace with someone more competent.

Unlike dogs, Cats are priceless treasures and the royalty of the animal kingdom. Pay whatever it costs to get him attended to properly.

Why did his caretaker allow him to be harmed in the first place? You need to fire them immediately and replace with someone more competent.
Send me a set of gpnvg and I'll get the cat straitened out. Will even send a pic for your frig.

Edit: pic of cat. No gay shit...

As said, contain the cat so he isn't moving around.
Cat breaks usually heal very well. I have heard from more than one vet that if there are 2 cat bones in the same room they will grow together. I guess they have set some pretty bad breaks that ended up being ok.
The vet should be able to take care of him in the morning. If you think it is real bad most areas have a 24hr emergency vet.
Best of luck to you and the kitty.

If it were mine I would get it in asap. I would worry about things escalating if not dealt with right away.

Good luck with your cat. I spent most of last year treating a cat I had 16 years.

And now we know exactly what is wrong with you

👆
Poor kitty
😞

Not sure if you’re trying to be funny or not, so let’s ask @1J04 what he thinks of it
Why yes, its a joke. I like cats and have had several memorable ones.

But a question for a question: Why are you wanting to involve 1j? Just to stir up some shit or are you thinking of transporting him in one? I dont think he would like it any better than the cat.

I think I have a cat with a broke hind leg. Looks like it may be broke just below the knee. I'm not messing with it for the moment cause I put my boot on his hind leg to rub him a little and he had a fit. Leaving him alone for now. Is there anything I can give/do for an outdoor tom to help til the vet opens in the morning? Minimags are probably more expensive than vets nowadays. Thanks.
get him help as soon as you can. Ice it to prevent swelling and wrap it to prevent movement. Make sure he is not running a fever.
double check your area as there might be emergency pet care near by.

Reactions: Holliday
get him help as soon as you can. Ice it to prevent swelling and wrap it to prevent movement. Make sure he is not running a fever.
double check your area as there might be emergency pet care near by.
Normal cat temp is 104° F. Sticking that thermometer up its rectum..... priceless 😳

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: S197 and Maggot
There is a stray in my neighborhood. He came by 4 or 5 weeks ago with a broken leg. He didn't set it down for a couple weeks, then a couple weeks where he would set it down but put no weight on it. He seems to be about 90% now. He favors it but I think it's healing well.

Keep us posted....

Rear leg injuries in a cat are tough
If you’ll indulge me a, short cat medical story:

Back in the early 70s as a child, I grew up in rural Maine. A family of six kids and one parent working as a civil servant. Dad drove some 50 miles each way to work. We were poor by today’s standards. We lived on a dusty well travel dirt road and the surrounding woods were our playground.

One day one of our outdoor/indoor cats came home dragging it’s rear leg. It had been sheared off above the knee by a hay mower in one of the neighboring fields. It was hanging by some remaining skin. Too poor to afford surgery, Mom called a vet and was advised that it would fall off in a few days and heal itself 😳

For a few days the cat dragged around this leg with no complaints. Soon it started looking pretty nasty. The bone was cut at an angle producing a knife’s edge. It became obvious this injury was not going to heal on it’s own.

On a warm summer afternoon, we got off the school-bus and made our way down the driveway. “Don’t come up here!” Mom yelled, from the elevated rear covered porch. This was our normal entry to the house through the kitchen. We knew this meant stay outside and play.

My Mom had worked as a nurse, and well, with six kids, animals, and limited money, you can imagine she had become a practiced medic. She was also a teetotaler and my father rarely ever drank or kept booze in the house.

Well, it seems there was dusty bottle of vodka from their drinking days hidden somewhere. Mom said a prayer to Jesus, cracked that bottle, and got the cat drunk. Then a couple shots for herself.

With a hack saw and sand paper from Dad’s tool chest, a kitchen knife and her sewing kit she was operating on that damn cat. She cut that bone square, sanded the rough edges and stretched and sewed the skin over it.

The cat soon healed and the result looked like the work of a master surgeon. Though with only three legs the cat quickly adapted. This cat still loved to be chased by us kids and could fly up a tree as fast as any four legged cat. It went on to live a long happy life, enjoying many more warm Maine summers.....

Last edited:

Back in the early 70s as a child, I grew up in rural Maine. A family of six kids and one parent working as a civil servant. Dad drove some 50 miles each way to work. We were poor by today’s standards. We lived on a dusty well travel dirt road and the surrounding woods were our playground.

One day one of our outdoor/indoor cats came home dragging it’s rear leg. It had been sheared off above the knee by a hay mower in one of the neighboring fields. It was hanging by some remaining skin. Too poor to afford surgery, Mom called a vet and was advised that it would fall off in a few days and heal itself 😳

For a few days the cat dragged around this leg with no complaints. Soon it started looking pretty nasty. The bone was cut at an angle producing a knives edge. It became obvious this injury was not going to heal on it’s own.

On a warm summer afternoon, we got off the school-bus and made our way down the driveway. “Don’t come up here!” Mom yelled, from the elevated rear covered porch. This was our normal entry to the house through the kitchen. We knew this meant stay outside and play.

My Mom had worked as a nurse, and well, with six kids, animals, and limited money, you can imagine she had become a practiced medic. She was also a teetotaler and my father rarely ever drank or kept booze in the house.

Well, it seems there was dusty bottle of vodka from their drinking days hidden somewhere. Mom said a prayer to Jesus, cracked that bottle, and got the cat drunk. Then a couple shots for herself.

With a hack saw and sand paper from Dad’s tool chest, a kitchen knife and her sewing kit she was operating on that damn cat. She cut that bone square, sanded the rough edges and stretched and sewed the skin over it.

The cat soon healed and the result looked like the work of a master surgeon. Though with only three legs the cat quickly adapted. This cat still loved to be chased by us kids and could fly up a tree as fast as any four legged cat. It went on to live a long happy life, enjoy many more warm Maine summers.....

Holy shit thats an awesome story.

Thank you for sharing...

For a few days the cat dragged around this leg with no complaints. Soon it started looking pretty nasty. The bone was cut at an angle producing a knives edge. It became obvious this injury was not going to heal on it’s own.

The cat soon healed and the result looked like the work of a master surgeon. Though with only three legs the cat quickly adapted. This cat still loved to be chased by us kids and could fly up a tree as fast as any four legged cat. It went on to live a long happy life, enjoy many more warm Maine summers.....
That is a hell of a story!

Cats always adapt to their circumstances. That is why they are the animals they are.

Abscesses from bites. Guess something kicked his ass. Mult bites to hind quarters? Kind of sounds like something other than another cat. He also sprayed the wife's vehicle, which will cost him his nuts.

Abscesses from bites. Guess something kicked his ass. Mult bites to hind quarters? Kind of sounds like something other than another cat. He also sprayed the wife's vehicle, which will cost him his nuts.
So no bone breaks?

No broke bones. Just abscesses, one at a leg joint. Wife handled, so I don't have a lot of details. Just know they will knock him out, drain, remove balls. Wife insists on ball removal and honestly he's a shithead, so maybe it will help.
Great news ! Well done! Yea sad about the balls but for cats spay and neutering really are for the best. Doesn’t mean we can’t cross our legs in agonizing solidarity for a moment .....😳

No broke bones. Just abscesses, one at a leg joint. Wife handled, so I don't have a lot of details. Just know they will knock him out, drain, remove balls. Wife insists on ball removal and honestly he's a shithead, so maybe it will help.
Awesome news @MtnCreek

The neutering will tame him and eliminate the spraying

Last time my Cat got abscess on leg . Was from stalking and fighting with full sized Squirrels and the Rodent sunk it's big front teeth into him . Squirrels are nasty infectious biting, but the Cat's cant help themselves and will not stop fucking with them . my Vet bill was not bad, was little less than 300-$ for Xray and open it up and clean out .
( IF you can hold him ? ) .. best thing you can do is warm Epson Salt soaked to dripping wet, wash cloth . hold it ontop the abscess wound a couple times a day for a few day, and it will heal fast.
https://youtu.be/DqJqZ12cEd0?t=97

-

Last edited:
Back in the 30's when my father was a kid on the farm he said they would catch the tom cats from the barn. Poke them head first in an old boot. Then take a sharp skinning knife and slit their ball sack open, Lop off the testicles and dump the cat out of the boot. Only did this when the barn was over saturated with cats and the toms got uppity. I can imagine what PETA would say if that happened today.

Back in the 30's when my father was a kid on the farm he said they would catch the tom cats from the barn. Poke them head first in an old boot. Then take a sharp skinning knife and slit their ball sack open, Lop off the testicles and dump the cat out of the boot. Only did this when the barn was over saturated with cats and the toms got uppity. I can imagine what PETA would say if that happened today.
Thats exactly the way we did it with young bulls except we used a neck squeeze then rubbed some pine tar on it to keep the flies off.

Reactions: oldiephrt
In my youth I hunted cats and kittens at the dump for sport. Shot pretty much anything that walked or crawled, for fun. Along the way I got cured of my wickedness. I ain't like that no more.....

images.jpg

Reactions: muzzleloader