• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Cat piss.

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    The other niight I stayed at a friends house and her cat pissed all over my sweet Woolrich goosedown vest....one of the older really nice one. Hes had his nuts cut off so it doesnt have that really sharp stink, but its still nasty. Sent it to the dry cleaners but he isnt too encouraging. Any suggestions on how to kill the odor....other than wrapping the cat in the vest and burning the whole package....just kidding, but its tempting.

Re: Cat piss.

I more than likely would have tried to soak it in warm water, then hand washed it in some form of antiseptic first, and let it dry without using a clothes dryer or anything like that.
    Before I took it to a drycleaner

Baking soda. I used to race motorcycles (poorly) and had a cat pee in one of my 1-piece leathers, around the collar area. I soaked the whole collar and shoulder areas in super high concentration of baking soda and water for a good day or so then let it air dry in the sun for a few days. I had to condition the leather post-drying but I'd say it took care of about 98% of the smell.

If you're gonna wash anything with down (and you can...) please give Woolite a serious thought. I have used it to preserve the down's loft.

Bicarbonate of soda is my goto odor neutralizer, along with outdoor drying in the sun and fresh air.

We've had cats in my homes since childhood. In a hurry, as a temp fix, Febreze.

Greg

Thanks Guys.

Try white vinegar. Pour it on the effected area, let stand, then rinse out.

Man... this brings back memories I haven't had in many years. Mine was a little different - the cat was innocent, but the girlfriend wasn't!

Just went to Petco and picked up some Natures Miricle. They have a new one called advanced formula in a red bottle. This stuff works even better than the regular stuff.

I've never had luck with Nature's Miracle. I've had cats over the years that have peed on the carpet. The only solution that's ever worked is to replace the carpet and pad together. Nature's Miracle helped, but never got rid of the smell completely. Never had any clothes peed on, though.

Tie it up and hold it under the water for several minutes until the bubbles stop coming to the surface, that should take care of any future odors and pissing incidents.
    Then take your vest and wash it gently in cold water by hand with Woolite.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just went to Petco and picked up some Natures Miricle. They have a new one called advanced formula in a red bottle. This stuff works even better than the regular stuff.
    </div></div>

Sounds like you might need some little kitty diapers instead Danny
    laugh.gif

It's down, so simply wash it a few times in the machine on a delicate cycle (or hand-wash it in the tub) using regular laundry soap. If the cat was neutered that should do it for the smell. After washing, put it in the dryer with an old tennis shoe, for a long time on very low heat. That should get the down fluffed back up.

If there's a stain then first spotting with Resolve pet odor cleaner works well, and it works very well to get the smell out too.

And yes, Nature's Miracle works very well, too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tie it up and hold it under the water for several minutes until the bubbles stop coming to the surface, that should take care of any future odors and pissing incidents.</div></div>Unlike people, animals are not malicious against other beings unless they have been mistreated.

With it being down you should try just hand cleaning in a mild detergent. If you go to town on the cleaning you may just knacker it up totally. I like High Binder's idea of baking soda.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigshooter42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yet another reason I prefer dogs. </div></div>

They're not so innocent either! One of my shooting buddies dogs took a shine to my shooting mat and cocked his leg on it!

does it have wool in it?? if so be careful what you are putting on it. either way you should be safe with white vinegar, use white vinegar to flush the piss out. the vinegar will stink but that goes away when its dry. the vinegar will help get rid of the smell as well as any staining there might be. BTW I own a carpet and upholstery cleaning business. I recommend white vinegar for all piss situations to homeowners.

Good news. Got the vest back from the dry cleaners today and both odor and stain were completely gone. Thanks to all who posted suggestions.