• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cat shit in my flower bed

It'll break down even faster if you add a bunch of N to it. :-D

It sounds like the cats are adding enough already. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

It wont do much for the cat shit if it is too high in carbon, too high in nitrogen, or broken down too much. Plain 300-500-1 carbon wood chips aren't going to support the biology. A fine compost for mulch is not going to have the carbon or fungus to combat the poopies. Something composted with high N will break down fast but will also be missing the ever important fungal component. Fungus is both immune system for the ground, as well as the most efficient digesting body.

I like the idea of using some natural repellants. I also like the idea of the motion activated sprinkler. My Wife feeds the birds and occasionally we get a stray cat that bothers them. I catch them in a live trap and relocate them to a large fish farm that I used to do electrical work for. They like them around and feed them because they keep the mice and snakes under control. All in all, its a nice home for a cat!

My Cat lives in the house. She's never even been outside and don't want to be.

My cats (4) are exclusively indoor cats, so cleaning/changing the litter, I feel your pain.

As for the outdoor cats, capsicum.

Greg

Reactions: DIBBS
People should show their love for their pets by keeping them off others property. Or, pay the price.

I like songbirds, game birds and most non predatory, non invasive wildlife.

Cats are singly the most destructive animals. I've heard from a few different sources that house cats are responsible for more species extinctions then humans are - how true that is I don't know. Could be fiction promoted by other people that dislike cats.

My wife wanted an inside/outside cat to help control the packrat population where we live. There's no way it would survive where we live, and thankfully we have a bunch of natural predators in the area: bobcats, coyotes, owls, hawks, snakes, etc to keep them somewhat in check. That idea was ex-nayed, but I do want to put up some owl houses. Apparently there's a family of owls that lives in the neighbors trees.

There's so many songbirds, finches, quails, etc. at my house that a house cat would have a field day with. I would be pissed if a house cat disturbed the balance of nature we currently have going on at our house. Thankfully the wildlife here doesn't let that happen.

Funny how some people think their cat can roam around and have free rein on other people's property, causing destruction.

tenor (3).gif

there is another cat thread i posted a few times on about 6 months ago.

got into it pretty good with some cat animal lovers etc

i hate to start again but...

if your cat is in my yard causing trouble your cat will not make it back to your yard

if you have money to feed the cats outside thats fine by me, but you better also have money for a fence around my yard to keep them out

this website prides itself on "dont tread on me" and ill shoot you on my land bla bla bla

yet the same people will not respect thy neighbors property

Old coffee grounds are supposed to be good for keeping animals away

Cats are singly the most destructive animals. I've heard from a few different sources that house cats are responsible for more species extinctions then humans are - how true that is I don't know. Could be fiction promoted by other people that dislike cats.

My wife wanted an inside/outside cat to help control the packrat population where we live. There's no way it would survive where we live, and thankfully we have a bunch of natural predators in the area: bobcats, coyotes, owls, hawks, snakes, etc to keep them somewhat in check. That idea was ex-nayed, but I do want to put up some owl houses. Apparently there's a family of owls that lives in the neighbors trees.

There's so many songbirds, finches, quails, etc. at my house that a house cat would have a field day with. I would be pissed if a house cat disturbed the balance of nature we currently have going on at our house. Thankfully the wildlife here doesn't let that happen.

Funny how some people think their cat can roam around and have free rein on other people's property, causing destruction.

I grew up at Sabino Canyon and Cloud. I got a small Siamese cat when I was about 14 (his name was Beavis...). We kept him as an indoor cat for the first 6 years of his life, he was a miserable dick of a cat. Our other cat was indoor only and was fine. We had a dog carrier with the litter box secured outside an old dog door, so the stink was outside. At some point the car figured out how to escape the litter box enclosure. Once allowed outside he became a different cat, very friendly and social. He also started killing every kangaroo rat and the occasional bunny he could. Not enough to effect the balance in the area as it was somewhat spread out, but it was frequent. I figured he wouldn’t live long as an indoor/outdoor cat as we had coyotes at the back wall. When he was about 8 and I was away at college my folks moved to Houghton and Broadway, he was still an indoor/outdoor cat and continued to survive and eat small rodents while dodging the coyotes. He brought home a couple full grown pack rats, but mainly K rats and bunnies. He was starting to get sick on his kills, so we started taking them away and giving him some wet food. With the wet food the hunting was far less than before. We moved into the city (craycroft and 5th st) when he was 12. We tried to make him an indoor only cat as I was concerned about traffic and such, but he was miserable. Finally we let him out and it worked out ok. He generally stayed in our yard and wasn’t really hunting anymore. He lived to about 15 and was cool til the end.

My mother in law keeps indoor only cats that are declawed, they seem to do ok.

I can’t disagree with those who want others to keep cats out of their yard. As an adult I don’t have any pets to worry about. My neighbors have an indoor/outdoor cat and 3 dogs I can watch. Their cat generally stays in their yard.

Reactions: kthomas
I don't know, I can't stand humans but love animals.

It's kind of crazy. My wife made an example once of some homeless guy wandering into the street and me almost hitting him with my car. She said I'd scream and yell at him and make fun of him and call him names and shit and then nudge him with the front bumper to get his ass out of the road.

Same example with a turtle and I'd open the door and yell 'Im coming buddy! Dont worry!'

She's probably right lol

ya i hate humans that let their crappy cats roam free to crap in peoples yards with no consequences. Why is it you have to pick up after your dog but not your cat? Why is their no leash law for cats???

there is another cat thread i posted a few times on about 6 months ago.

got into it pretty good with some cat animal lovers etc

i hate to start again but...

if your cat is in my yard causing trouble your cat will not make it back to your yard

if you have money to feed the cats outside thats fine by me, but you better also have money for a fence around my yard to keep them out

this website prides itself on "dont tread on me" and ill shoot you on my land bla bla bla

yet the same people will not respect thy neighbors property

mic drop!! From reading this thread, it looks like there is some correlation between snowflakes and cat owners....

mic drop!! From reading this thread, it looks like there is some correlation between snowflakes and cat owners....

thats the part that got me, a few of the guys who i was going at it with are not snowflakes

when it comes to cats it seems there is no middle ground

its either love them more than your wife and kids or shoot everyone

Cats are edible, not much meat but works great for an oriental stir fry. Save the pelt, it serves as a backup for toilet paper. Just don't flush it. I repeat, DO NOT flush it!

The gods smiled upon me this AM.
I got up to take a leak, looked out the window and here comes Fluffy from down the street, tail high and he knew where he was going. So did I.
Quick like a rabbit I grabbed my pellet pistol and went down the hall and hoping he didn't hear me pumped it up. +5. don't want to break skin, just put on a welt.
I got back to the opened window just in time to see Fluffy scratch out a hole and get poised over it.
I steadied up, and took aim, and waited until I saw the the turd just coming out, WHACK, Fluffy has a welt on his ass.
He was a bit slow to react as he hadn't dropped his load yet but was funny as hell watching him run off trailing turds and once he had dropped them, he went really fast towards home.
A good way to start my day with a first shot impact
I doubt he will be back for another go round.

As much as I love my cat, he has this annoying f'ing habit of shitting on the carpet once in awhile when he feels he's not getting enough attention. And, he's an attention whore. It's starting to get old.

@Foul Mike, good shooting.

Reactions: Foul Mike
So when someone walking there dog and it shits in my yard because the owner is to fucking lazy to pick it up and I cut my grass and step in it. It game on and I can shoot the mother fucker next time it steps on my lawn? Fucking menace dogs. Keep em leashed up in your yard and quit letting them run neighborhoods and bitting and killing kids. That is how stupid half of you sound about theses cats

learn to use “there, their, and they’re” properly, then come back and preach about folks sounding stupid. Oh, and it’s “biting”.

Have a nice day.

Well jrb, at least it isn't Covid 19, Chink flu. We needed a break from that shit.
Next time you mow go barefoot and if after your mower passes over the Dog land mine and you didn't see it tell us how happy you were with dogshit between your toes.
This thread is about cats fuckin up my precious flowers and how I educate the bastards not to do that.
I am not about to kill nor maim ANY animals shitting in my yard, I just educate them with a welt on their ass, nothing under their skin, and change their bad behavior and try to make them go elsewhere and really do enjoy a good shot now and then.
I hope I get another shot soon but these fuckers learn fast. I was just late to the game.
Woe be unto the asshole I see that lets their dog shit in my front yard and doesn't pick it up. It isn't the dog's fault, just the fucker walking it.
I won't be putting any welts on there then but I might put a pop knot on their melon unless they are bigger than me. In that case I am not unknown to grab a fresh steamer and throw it with all of my might from danger close range into the back of their head. That only happened once, then the word was out.
I hope you find a little humor in your life. FM

Cats are satanic. End of story.

I read an article just today that said that a good portion of urban coyote's diets are comprised of cats. I guess that's why I only hunt rural coyotes.

I think what was said is keep your cats at home or expect that some will pay the price of trespass.

So when someone walking there dog and it shits in my yard because the owner is to fucking lazy to pick it up and I cut my grass and step in it. It game on and I can shoot the mother fucker next time it steps on my lawn? Fucking menace dogs. Keep em leashed up in your yard and quit letting them run neighborhoods and bitting and killing kids. That is how stupid half of you sound about theses cats
Did your cat run away ?
asking for a freind !

tenor (1).gif

Well i see folks quoting jrb yet i cant see his belly-aching.....which means 1 thing! I made someone’s “ignore” list! And here i thought i wasnt going to accomplish anything more today!!!!

Never ceases to amaze me how some folks can get so butthurt. I got $20 that says jrb is the kinda guy that lets his cats shit, piss, and climb all over his neighbor’s property.

Just get a good hunting dog or two and they will educate the cats that it's not a good idea to come around your place.

Funny enough in our neighborhood when I started walking my dogs around 7 years ago, cats were all over the place bold as anything.
These days I rarely see a cat while out walking or if I do, it's doing it's very best to hide and be perfectly still.

I'm not sure if it's the coyotes and bobcats that are doing it or everybody walking their big dogs around.

Had a couple cats years ago try to stand down my dogs, but when they saw the open mouth was about as big as them, they kind of decided it was best to get up and over a fence.

Im in the city and had a cat problem, along with skunks, possum, rats, and mice, until my daughter got a kitten and it grew up. Now I have a small leopard on patrol that doesnt tolerate trespassing. It's an indoor/ outdoor and stays in the yard since the neighbors have dogs. Less birds also but those little fuckers would eat the veg garden so whatever.

Maybe you could use a cat.

What some of these guy's don't get is between mulch and plant material it's real easy to get a couple grand into it.
God forbid if you have to hire someone to do it because you work to much, there's another $1500

No way will I be required to make MY STUFF conform to your cats.

Yeah, I wouldnt either and I like cats. Pets get less lethal deterrent but a feral pest is a feral pest no matter what the species.

What some of these guy's don't get is between mulch and plant material it's real easy to get a couple grand into it.
God forbid if you have to hire someone to do it because you work to much, there's another $1500

No way will I be required to make MY STUFF conform to your cats.

Every city and town I go to has this stuff for free. They trim from power lines, parks, and what have you. If you go back east, you can get paid to let people, as well as the city and county dump it on your property. I dont use the stuff because of the cat shit, I use because its good for the soil. Its buffering nitrates from the cat shit is just happen stance. Its a solution to a problem that wont land you in jail or worse.

Every city and town I go to has this stuff for free. They trim from power lines, parks, and what have you. If you go back east, you can get paid to let people, as well as the city and county dump it on your property. I dont use the stuff because of the cat shit, I use because its good for the soil. Its buffering nitrates from the cat shit is just happen stance. Its a solution to a problem that wont land you in jail or worse.
Thanks but
Thats not happening here.
If you put freshly ground wood products in your beds it will kill everything in there.

Second, I like black colored oak mulch it is about $40 a yard and I'm not changing,
A cat is the least of my problems.
If I had a cat problem it would be caught in a havaheart trap and taken to the pound.
That's about as nice as I'm going to be about it.

My wife and I picked out plants that would support the local wildlife in the winter, this doesn't include deer either.

Thanks but
Thats not happening here.
If you put freshly ground wood products in your beds it will kill everything in there.

Second, I like black colored oak mulch it is about $40 a yard and I'm not changing,
A cat is the least of my problems.
If I had a cat problem it would be caught in a havaheart trap and taken to the pound.
That's about as nice as I'm going to be about it.

My wife and I picked out plants that would support the local wildlife in the winter, this doesn't include deer either.

Fresh ground wood products are not going to kill a god damn thing. I posted that so you could understand, because despite claiming I am "some people that don't understand." You are actually the person who doesn't understand, and you are making shit up on top of that.

Second, I don't give a flying fuck if you change, nor did I ask you to.

just stirring the pot... or soil...lol

if the latest pile of mulch is made from a lot of pine trees the ratios get all messed up and cause problems. most wood chips from the town are not sorted by type of tree

i dont care either way (not a gardener but my brother is crazy about it) depending on the trees the wood chips are made from, but mulches with a C:N ratio greater than 30:1, not enough nitrogen is present in the mulch to support microbial growth

so microbes scavenge what they need from surrounding soil, outcompeting plants in the process. that stunts growth or possibly kills off new plantings

In mulches with a C:N ratio less than 30:1, the amount of nitrogen in the mulch exceeds microbial requirements, leaving more for plants.

just stirring the pot... or soil...lol

if the latest pile of mulch is made from a lot of pine trees the ratios get all messed up and cause problems. most wood chips from the town are not sorted by type of tree

i dont care either way (not a gardener but my brother is crazy about it) depending on the trees the wood chips are made from, but mulches with a C:N ratio greater than 30:1, not enough nitrogen is present in the mulch to support microbial growth

so microbes scavenge what they need from surrounding soil, outcompeting plants in the process. that stunts growth or possibly kills off new plantings

In mulches with a C:N ratio less than 30:1, the amount of nitrogen in the mulch exceeds microbial requirements, leaving more for plants.

Probably everything you heard about pine mulch is a myth. Wood chips are not sorted by type nor do they need tp be. You can use pine mulch the same any deciduous tree mulch. It makes no difference. Pine mulch does not make soil acidic.

Nitrogen sequestration only takes place on the very surface layer of the soil. Using too high of c to n ratio only means the mulch will break down slowly because there is less available food, therefore less life. Its only going to effect plants sprouting on the surface, or plants growing in places where the roots can't penetrate the soil. I.E it does not cause nitrogen to be drawn up out the ground.

High carbon wood chips will grow fungus pretty well. It takes them a very long time to break down. I have 3 year old unbroken down commercial red wood chips under my grape vines. They are under about 5 inches of compost from 8-10 inches of 2 year old dirty wood chips. I do like to look around the pile to make sure I am getting chipped up leaves and small branches, when I find pine, I want the needles and small branches.

Putting 4-8 inches of commercial wood chips would probably buffer the cat shit, but it would be expensive.

The last line is somewhat true in hydroponic sense. I.E plants will absorb the nutrients leeching out of the wood chips. These nutrients have been made available by microbes breaking down the wood chips. They are not competing with plants. They are feeding plants. Less food for them means less food for the plants. The real superstar plant feeders live under the soil, and can take years of having living roots in the ground to show their full potential. They are called mycorrhizal fungus. I can the effects of them being kept active in the winter as circle of crazy healthy plants around my peach trees. The circle gets a little bigger every year as the roots spread.

Plants don't need as much nitrogen as people think. It always the first thing people run to though. I try to walk a very fine line with N because it can effect calcium uptake. I subscribe to the theory that C is macro, and probably the most important one. High nitrate cause plants to reflect light in the infrared spectrum. This is a signal for bugs to eat them. They are an easy target because high nitrate makes thin cell walls, therefore weak plants.

Do not till wood chips in. Tilling is the most counter productive thing we do as gardeners. It can be frustrating at first learning to garden in a new way.

Probably everything you heard about pine mulch is a myth. Wood chips are not sorted by type nor do they need tp be. You can use pine mulch the same any deciduous tree mulch. It makes no difference. Pine mulch does not make soil acidic.

Nitrogen sequestration only takes place on the very surface layer of the soil. Using too high of c to n ratio only means the mulch will break down slowly because there is less available food, therefore less life. Its only going to effect plants sprouting on the surface, or plants growing in places where the roots can't penetrate the soil. I.E it does not cause nitrogen to be drawn up out the ground.

High carbon wood chips will grow fungus pretty well. It takes them a very long time to break down. I have 3 year old unbroken down commercial red wood chips under my grape vines. They are under about 5 inches of compost from 8-10 inches of 2 year old dirty wood chips. I do like to look around the pile to make sure I am getting chipped up leaves and small branches, when I find pine, I want the needles and small branches.

Putting 4-8 inches of commercial wood chips would probably buffer the cat shit, but it would be expensive.

The last line is somewhat true in hydroponic sense. I.E plants will absorb the nutrients leeching out of the wood chips. These nutrients have been made available by microbes breaking down the wood chips. They are not competing with plants. They are feeding plants. Less food for them means less food for the plants. The real superstar plant feeders live under the soil, and can take years of having living roots in the ground to show their full potential. They are called mycorrhizal fungus. I can the effects of them being kept active in the winter as circle of crazy healthy plants around my peach trees. The circle gets a little bigger every year as the roots spread.

Plants don't need as much nitrogen as people think. It always the first thing people run to though. I try to walk a very fine line with N because it can effect calcium uptake. I subscribe to the theory that C is macro, and probably the most important one. High nitrate cause plants to reflect light in the infrared spectrum. This is a signal for bugs to eat them. They are an easy target because high nitrate makes thin cell walls, therefore weak plants.

Do not till wood chips in. Tilling is the most counter productive thing we do as gardeners. It can be frustrating at first learning to garden in a new way.

learn something new every day..

now i know why i stick to math and manufacturing pills lol

along with a new style/technology optic in the design phase o_O

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I was never good at math.

I like optics. I need that meem with Golum holding a new scope or set of binos. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I feel your pain. At our old house, every stinking one of our neighbors was a cat person. For some reason, the nasty little animals decided my yard was the neighborhood litterbox. You couldn't walk through the yard without stepping in it. Mowing was not fun.

I bought two liters of extra hot Indian Chili powder from the Indian grocery and sprinkled it all over my yard. Not a single cat for a couple weeks. Then it rained and they were all back the next morning.

Fresh ground wood products are not going to kill a god damn thing. I posted that so you could understand, because despite claiming I am "some people that don't understand." You are actually the person who doesn't understand, and you are making shit up on top of that.

Second, I don't give a flying fuck if you change, nor did I ask you to.

Really, so what you are trying to tell me is the local tree trimmer can back his truck up and dump his load and I can put it right in my beds?

Sure thing.

Well i see folks quoting jrb yet i cant see his belly-aching.....which means 1 thing! I made someone’s “ignore” list! And here i thought i wasnt going to accomplish anything more today!!!!

Never ceases to amaze me how some folks can get so butthurt. I got $20 that says jrb is the kinda guy that lets his cats shit, piss, and climb all over his neighbor’s property.
Wow. Learn something every day.
I can’t see his posts either, so good.
Didn’t know that if someone puts you on ignore you can’t see their posts. I thought that only happened if I had them on ignore.

Reactions: Jgunner
Wow. Learn something every day.
I can’t see his posts either, so good.
Didn’t know that if someone puts you on ignore you can’t see their posts. I thought that only happened if I had them on ignore.

I don't know if it works that way. I've never had words with him and I can't find his posts either.

Reactions: Dewey7271