• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cataract Surgery

BAT_Boy

critter_bill
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2005
Williamston, SC
For some time my vision has worsened and I just accepted it as part of aging. The loss has effected my work as well as my shooting hobby. Then I found out that, at age 58, I have a cataract in my dominant eye.

I have an appointment with an eye surgeon to discuss lens replacement in a couple of weeks. In the information packet that his office mailed to me, it seems that I have three options for lenses: single distance vision, multi-focal, and Toric single distance vision with astigmatism corrections built into the lens.

Since I have an astigmatism, I guess my only real option is the Toric with reading glasses for close vision.

I dread having this done as we only have one pair of eyes but the time has come. Has anyone had this surgery and care to offer some advice or opinions on your experience?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Re: Cataract Surgery

I have not had it done myself, but my dad has- It worked great for him- sees better than ever. Good luck

My dad just had it done in both eyes last year, and it has made a world of difference for him. Cataracts are very common, and so is the surgery.

I know I was nervous prior to getting lasik done, but couldn't be happier. Not quite the same surgery, but nerve wracking none the less.

In August, I had two surgeries. The doc said the gel in my eye had detached from my retina causing it to tear. So I went in for my first surgery where they put a buckle that is similar in principle to the belt you wear around your waist. The idea was to apply pressure to my eye and hope it reattaches. It didn't work.

Literally a week after the first surgery, they when in side my eye with three tools. They laser the tears in my retina, removed the gel inside the eye, and filled my eye with a giant gas bubble. The bubble has given my a serious cataract. I can't even see through my eye without seeing everything as milky, etc.

The bubble finally went away within the last week. I'm setting up a third surgery for the cataract. I've been told it is simple and routine and should be an issue at all. I think I'm going to go with the lens that provides for better distance vision.

My left eye is near cited. My right eye (surgery) is even more near cited because of the buckle. Because I've always been near cited, I've had issues with distance vision, hence my decision. I don't mind wearing glasses to correct for reading, and I've had contacts for years. The only way I will change my decision now is if my Doc says a different lens will be better for shooting!

Cataract surgery is common the older you get (as we all know). I'm having mine before the turn of the year, and I'm in my early 20s. The only advice I give people about eyes is be happy you have them and haven't had any issues!

SS

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've pretty much settled on distance and will gladly wear glasses for computer/reading.

SS, best wishes on your third surgery. Hope they get everything squared away for you. You're right about our eyesight. Every time that I complain about diminishing vision, I remind myself to be grateful for what remains.

Thanks again, men.

Best regards,

Bill (BAT_Boy) Adcox

No Sweat on the surgery-I had it done on my left eye 5 years ago when I was 48-Sounds awful at first because we relate to the pain from debris in the eyes when we think of this surgery-no pain involved-Wow what a difference it made-I spent hours looking out at the clouds and trees for I could see the fine detail for the first time in years-Colors were like my teenage drug days-The Cataract is so gradual that you don't really notice how much you've lost until you get a second chance

Update: I had my dominant right eye surgery done on Tuesday. No problems at all so far. NO pain whatsoever. Went from 20/400+ to 20/25 on next day follow-up. Some swelling so vision will change as swelling reduces.

Only irritation so far is the flood of eye drops: 5 different drops--- 4 prescription and 1 OTC. There is an itch caused by one of the drops to the point that I wish I could scratch it with a wire brush but, hopefully, this will soon pass. Probably part of the healing process.

I have the left eye done on Dec 22 so, hopefully, I'll soon need another excuse for poor shooting.
smile.gif

Thanks for the encouragement and good info via posts and PMs. Happy Thanksgiving.